Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Please explain public school vs yeshiva for ADHD

mha3484

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:18 am
I have a child who struggles with poor impulse control. He holds his own academically but socially he has a very hard time. His yeshiva works with us for the most part and he is making progress bli ayin hara.

With these tuition threads and discussions on social media and in real life, I keep seeing/hearing lately a lot of discussion of public school versus day school for kids like him. How does it help a child who has a hard time with social skills to make him so vastly different from his peers? I am really really not being judgy I just want to get a better understanding so I can be more informed.Thanks!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:37 am
My friend's son who moves into public school very successfully had a number of issues and the public school (a really great school with tons of resources and amazing staff) was able to provide so many services that the Jewish school couldn't provide.

But - his family is MO, so aside from Shabbat, kashrut, wearing a kippah, I don't think he was that socially "different" from the other kids. He's really into sports and Minecraft so he has a lot in common with other boys.

He blossomed both socially and academically because he was getting the support he needed. Also, the public school was bigger so he had a bigger group of peers to form friendships with. He had been struggling with behavior issues which his previous school wasn't capable of dealing with, and that made things hard academically and socially.

It sounds like your school may be doing a pretty good job at supporting your son.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:49 am
ds also has adhd and socially struggling. but his school and therapy has done wonders for him. he was in a different school and it was a disaster till he got on meds changed schools and the combination of it all did wonders. (he was in a school that was really detrimental to him) now he is in a much better place. better suited for him.

I dont think there is a wrong or right. if you feel public sc hool would work out better then so be it.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 2:53 pm
it might depend on the age. I know a kid who was taken out of "yeshiva" preschool and put in to a headstart program. The parents raved about the headstart program. The teacher student ratio was way better and the teachers were required to have a lot more continuing education etc... Teaching socialization to 3,4, and 5 year olds is a lot different then helping a 12 year old who totally doesn't fit in culturally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)