Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Tell Me About the Instant Pot
Previous  1  2  3  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:44 am
mha3484 wrote:
Can you all give me some recipes for non meat recipes? We only eat meat once a week other then shabbos so I cant decide if its worth while.

Best place to get recipes is on the facebook group "kosher instant pot". Its a lot to write instructions here, esp with the "lingo" that you dont know. There are different ways to cook and release pressure.

Its worth while. Very. I made the most delicious roasts. Way better than in the oven, and in a fraction of the time. Also it frees up my oven for kugels and desserts, you know, during that mad dash to Shabbos. Also it doesn't heat up your kitchen which is amazing.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:57 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
LIke this: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref.....+in+1

IMNSHO, also look into the 6 in 1. IIRC, the big differences are (1) no yogurt making function (and since my IP is meat, that's pretty useless to me); and (2) no low pressure, which I almost never use. I have the 6-in-1 for Pesach, and am happy with it.

ldg

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:40 am
Anyone make their cholent in it and leave it overnight?

EmpireState

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:46 pm
Does it take a long time for the pressure to reduce? I had a regular pressure cooker years ago and I found that by the time the pressure reduced and I was able to remove the lid, it wasn't a huge time saver (compared to cooking on the stovetop/oven).

Aetrsnrady

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:40 am
Does anyone have the link to the kosher fb group? I only found nonkosher groups in my search. Ty

watergirl

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:50 am
Aetrsnrady wrote:
Does anyone have the link to the kosher fb group? I only found nonkosher groups in my search. Ty

Just do a search for "kosher instant pot" and it will show up.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 7:51 am
EmpireState wrote:
Does it take a long time for the pressure to reduce? I had a regular pressure cooker years ago and I found that by the time the pressure reduced and I was able to remove the lid, it wasn't a huge time saver (compared to cooking on the stovetop/oven).

Depending on what youre making, yoo can do a quick pressure release. Instant pot specific recipes will indicate what kind of release to do. Sometimes it will tell you to do 10 minute natural release and then to do a quick pressure release. In the case of chicken soup for example, you do a natural release which takes about an hour. But considering it takes an hour for the soup to cook, that's still considerably quicker than doing it on the stove top which takes many hours. Or like the roast that I make which takes about 40 minutes natural pressure release, and 40 minutes under pressure, that is still considerably quicker than 3 1/2 hours in the oven, my oven isn't held up with other stuff when I want to use it for say, brownies or kugel, and my kitchen isn't heating up.

And another thing that makes it totally different from the old fashion pressure cookers and from stovetop cooking in general, is that there's no flame involved for you to babysit or turn up and down. Pressure cooking with a traditional pressure cooker requires you to constantly adjust the flame. They are dangerous and you cannot leave the house with them alone. I know that a chicken soup takes about 2 1/2 hours in the instant pot when you consider it coming to pressure, cooking for an hour, and coming down from pressure. Like I said, that still considerably quicker than the many hours that I have to babysit it at home. So I can turn on the instant pot, leave the house and do carpool, come home and the soup is done. I can also make a gefilta fish from frozen in 20 minutes. This thing is absolutely unbelievable.

Mevater

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:04 am
watergirl wrote:
I know that a chicken soup takes about 2 1/2 hours in the instant pot when you consider it coming to pressure, cooking for an hour, and coming down from pressure. Like I said, that still considerably quicker than the many hours that I have to babysit it at home.

Dunno what the big deal is. Im not sold on it.

My chicken soup that tastes fine, never cooks for 2 hours.

When I warm it up on Friday, it cooks a little longer.

Pea soup I leave for hours in a crock pot, and doesnt need any supervision or pressure release time.

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 3:46 pm
Well, my pot just arrived!

Question- how did you tovel it? Definitely the insert but what about the cover?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 4:00 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Well, my pot just arrived!

Question- how did you tovel it? Definitely the insert but what about the cover?

The lid is submersible.

Enjoy!!

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 4:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The lid is submersible.

Enjoy!!

Thanks!

nylon

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 4:30 pm
I also love my instant pot. I find that the results are better than a crock pot as well--meat comes out tender but not mushy. With crockpots I always found it very hard to get it to that point and things would come out mushy.

How much it saves time varies. For example I make potatoes for mashed potatoes in there. It takes about 20 minutes to come to pressure and 8 minutes of pressure. I could boil them on the stove in that time. But when I do it in the IP I set it and leave and don't come back till it beeps, then I quick release. No babysitting, no boiling over, no checking to see if the potatoes are cooked.

Unlike a slow cooker, I can sauté the ingredients right in the pot, then set it to go. No dirtying a second pan if I want to brown the meat first. It also has slow cook and keep warm settings so I can do everything right there.

It saves the most time with beans/grains (I like homemade hummus with the chickpeas cooked from dry--huge time and convenience saver!) and long cooked meats. It does a nice job with rice but I already own a rice cooker so that wasn't a huge feature, although I do make mixed chicken and rice (like a chicken biryani type dish) and it comes out great. I've never tried it but friends make one pot pasta and sauce in theirs and say it's great.

rgr

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 9:21 am
The Instant Pot is on sale today for Amazon Prime members only for $90

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....HWVRK

EmpireState

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:14 pm
So has anyone ever made chulent in one of these? I see that there are some models that stay on for 20 hours

L25

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:32 pm
does anyone have one for michlgs and one for fleishigs? I'm trying to decide what to get one for and wondering if anyone actually buys two.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 6:49 pm
rgr wrote:
The Instant Pot is on sale today for Amazon Prime members only for $90

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....HWVRK

Thanks for sharing this.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:01 pm
L25 wrote:
does anyone have one for michlgs and one for fleishigs? I'm trying to decide what to get one for and wondering if anyone actually buys two.

If you're on Facebook, check out the Kosher Instant Pot group. Many people do purchase 2 (or more). I'm resisting, for the moment at least.

If you purchase a dairy Instant Pot, I'd recommend going for the one that has a yogurt-making function.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:44 pm
shyshira wrote:
most would hold that you'd also need a separate lid - which I don't think you can buy.

I emailed the company explaining why I wanted a second locking lid, and they sold me one. We use one insert/lid for meat and one insert/lid for pareve.

Instant Pot has changed my life. Examples:

-Amazing super rich chicken soup that takes no watching

-5 minute hard boiled eggs-- and the peels always come off perfectly

-tomato soup in 10 minutes

-dry beans cook in 40 minutes start to finish

-10 minute lentil soup

-slow cook and keep warm functions (with timers) mean you can serve right from it or keep food hot on

-great white rice in 8 min, brown rice in 15

-more flavor and nutrients preserved when pressure cooking

-you can do hours and hours worth of cooking without adding heat to your kitchen

lovingmother

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:50 pm
I don't know, I bought one b/c I read rave reviews about it, and so far not finding it life changing. One big turn on for me was the saute feature, I thought that I could put onions in and they would saute on their own. It's not true, I have to stand there and stir, just like a pan. Meats didn't really come out tasting better. I want to try the bean feature.
Sweet potato, would you mind posting any of your recipes/methods that you just mentioned?
Anyone want to post their gefilte fish method?
I just feel like it was a waste of money, If I could use it consistently for one or two things I would feel better

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 7:58 pm
Are there any special instructions for adjusting a recipe to the instant pot? More or less or more water, etc?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars