Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O school fund for simchos?
1  2  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 2:35 pm
On the tuition thread someone mentioned the school has a fund for teachers simchos... What? How is this equitable? Totally not based off of experience, feedback, quality.... Just number of bar mitzvos/ weddings they make. Or number of kids they give birth to... (Not sure what simchas they count).

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 2:48 pm
I think they don't care about being equitable. Steep teacher discounts on tuition is also not "equal" a teacher who has 5 kids in the school is basically earning a ton more than the teacher who is a grandfather.

amother
Navy

amother wrote:
On the tuition thread someone mentioned the school has a fund for teachers simchos... What? How is this equitable? Totally not based off of experience, feedback, quality.... Just number of bar mitzvos/ weddings they make. Or number of kids they give birth to... (Not sure what simchas they count).

its not equitable, but neither is life.

cnc

Why should a simcha fund be based on experience, feedback or quality? That's what salaries are for. Simchas are for a simcha...

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 3:34 pm
I just don't get it. Just pay the teachers more and let them decide how to spend their money. A single teacher shouldn't get less than a married teacher of the same education/experience. She would also lose out on the simcha bonus.

cnc

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
I just don't get it. Just pay the teachers more and let them decide how to spend their money. A single teacher shouldn't get less than a married teacher of the same education/experience. She would also lose out on the simcha bonus.

The couples of schools that I know have simcha funds are Yeshivas and there are no single rebbeim or teachers there.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:

That's a nice modern concept.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 4:08 pm
I think paying more overall is difficult for the schools. To give 5 - 10 K more per rebbe is a lot for a school to do.
so they help out for life events which is more doable - our school gives 5K for bar mitzvas and 10K for weddings. Its like a bonus.
And they do pay decently for Jewish schools.
Its an added perk of being a rebbe - free tuition in the school and help with simchos.

Should rebbeim with only girls be given a larger salary because they don't take advantage of the free tuition?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 4:20 pm
BTW I do agree teachers should be paid more. I'd love for my kids teachers to make 100K +. The deserve it.
But the only way teachers are getting large raises is if tuition goes up - and if that happens I don't see how anyone can pay it anyways...

Queen18

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:31 pm
This is not about equity or compensation. It is a means of making sure the staff in the school has dignity, that when they are making a simcha they don't need handouts. It's a very nice thing and is typically funded by donations made just for this purpose.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 24 2017, 11:47 pm
Queen18 wrote:
This is not about equity or compensation. It is a means of making sure the staff in the school has dignity, that when they are making a simcha they don't need handouts. It's a very nice thing and is typically funded by donations made just for this purpose.

I don't see how dignity figures into this. I was able to maintain my own personal dignity without receiving every item necessary to furnishing a kitchen or an apartment when I got married. I'm not the only one.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:25 am
Dignity? They should make due with their salaries like everyone else does. Or be forced to accept tzeddakah if need be. Instead of donations going towards tzeddakah, I would rather it go to scholarships, feeding the poor, or a number of other more worthwhile causes. But I don't decide how you donate so answer me this: Why should a bar mitzvah cost over $5,000? That the school feels the need to supplement? Maybe if everyone only did what they could afford for simchos, no one would feel the need to waste money or even just spend what they don't have? Why does every kallah feel that it is a requirement to get a diamond bracelet, pearls, diamond ring, watches, machzorim (what did she daven from before?), a full bedroom set, real silver Lichter, and many other things I can't comprehend? Hot fleishig food catered sholom Zachor, Bris and Pideon? Elaborate Bar Mitzvas? Then people need help to cover all of it.
If we all did what we want and spend what we wanted then we wouldn't feel the need to collect so that others maintain their "dignity".

amother
Navy

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:32 am
I think from the perspective of the school as "employer" and "community organization" that it looks badly on them if their Rebbe/employees can't afford to make a decent simcha.

In the end of the day - its fringe benefit of employment.

zaq

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 5:56 am
You know, some employers give workers sabbaticals, tuition reimbursement, pensions, health insurance, dental and vision, life insurance, uniform allowances, investment plans, holiday bonuses, profit sharing, discounts on movie tickets, and pizza at staff meetings...and they pay on time,every time.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Dignity? They should make due with their salaries like everyone else does. Or be forced to accept tzeddakah if need be. Instead of donations going towards tzeddakah, I would rather it go to scholarships, feeding the poor, or a number of other more worthwhile causes. But I don't decide how you donate so answer me this: Why should a bar mitzvah cost over $5,000? That the school feels the need to supplement? Maybe if everyone only did what they could afford for simchos, no one would feel the need to waste money or even just spend what they don't have? Why does every kallah feel that it is a requirement to get a diamond bracelet, pearls, diamond ring, watches, machzorim (what did she daven from before?), a full bedroom set, real silver Lichter, and many other things I can't comprehend? Hot fleishig food catered sholom Zachor, Bris and Pideon? Elaborate Bar Mitzvas? Then people need help to cover all of it.
If we all did what we want and spend what we wanted then we wouldn't feel the need to collect so that others maintain their "dignity".

Thank you. I can't like your post enough. And say your job doesn't pay enough for all of these 'necessities' and you still want them? What's wrong with stocking shelves at Target nights to earn the money to pay for them?

keym

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:00 pm
This fund was started after people noticed a growing trend. Some of the best and most dedicated teachers were leaving the Chinuch profession because they could not afford life on their salary. Or they were taking part time jobs, tutoring, English teacher, bar mitzva teachers etc and were burning out because they were exhausted.
Certain schools wanted to address that issue and keep the good teachers so they decided this would be a good idea. They don't require it from their parents. It's from donations. If you don't like the idea, don't donate. Personally, I think it's a great idea to keep teachers and rebbeim motivated. The alternative is horrible. I know someone who goes to a school that they don't work with the teachers, and the education is horrific. It's a revolving door of teachers every year. The teachers are not as qualified and definitely not as experienced and I believe it's because the school has no interest in keeping the good teachers.
I would prefer that such funds are not given across the board, but determined based on a teacher's need and how good he is, but I think this is a problem that needs to be addressed.
How in your opinion could schools keep good teachers (or other helping professions like nurses and sw) without raising tuition beyond what parents can afford.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:40 pm
Why are people so up in arms about this? So a school offers a perk to their rebbeim - people who donate towards the fund know where its going and are happy to give their money to that fund.

Do you get nervous from every perk every office offers?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 2:09 pm
Argument 1 - Let teachers live off their salaries - but teachers aren't really paid enough to live

Argument 2 - Let them find another job that pays better- No one wants to become teachers because their salaries aren't high enough

Argument 3 - My kids teachers are horrible, no one wants to be teachers because salaries are so low - raise teacher's salaries and you will get a better pool of teachers

Argument 4 - my kids school just raised my tuition, I can't afford it, they pay teachers way too much...

No one will ever win.

(Bar mitzva expenses typically include bar mitzva lessons, tefillin, new suit, hat (or 2), - all expenses besides a bar mitzva kiddish - but you are right - sons of teachers don't really deserve to look put together or have a nice party - they should just be happy that they have food on the table)

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 3:02 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Thank you. I can't like your post enough. And say your job doesn't pay enough for all of these 'necessities' and you still want them? What's wrong with stocking shelves at Target nights to earn the money to pay for them?

Why should anyone choose to be a teacher if they have to stock shelves at night to make ends meet - they might as well get a better job. Then we won't have teachers.
Its in our best interest to make it enticing for the best of the best to become quality teachers.

Besides - a teacher's job doesn't end when they leave the classroom. There are reports and tests to grade, lessons to plan, parents to call. I think a teacher who spent their evenings stocking shelves would be lacking very much in their classroom preparation.

farm

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:

How much does tefillin cost? + a teacher/tutor to teach leining + a suit (and hat) + sponge cake and soda kiddush = pretty close to that $5,000. Why are you ranting about kallah jewlery and catered shalom zachors?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics