Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Dying a black sheitel

noosheen

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 7:52 am
Sheitel color experts only please advise

Bought a wig (online, I know mistake....) and hair is much darker than I thought it would be. I am naturally a brunette and thought I should start out with a darker piece to consider future oxidation. But as mentioned way too dark for me

I took it to my hairdresser and she was like 'why did u buy this too dark wig? And how can u think this could be dyed to your color?'
Is she right? Is it not possible to dye a very dark wig a med to dark brown?

Btw hair seems to be very good quality and I like it otherwise.
Please help me! I hate wigs!!
Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 11:19 am
I'm sorry, but she's right.

You can't dye a black sheitel, you can only bleach it. Bleaching hair that dark will give it a weird greenish tint (No offense meant to Greenfire, who rocks the green hair look!)

If I were you, I'd try to find a gemach, and see if you can trade it in for store credit towards a sheitel you can see in person before you buy. You could also try selling it on Facebook or Watsapp. You'll probably not get all of your money back, but you'll get back enough to make you feel a bit better.

I'd suggest Ebay, but they are flooded with Chinese wigs now, and you wouldn't get a decent price because of all the competition.

BTW, if your sheitel is Chinese or Korean hair, chances are that it is naturally black, and will REALLY not take bleach at all. You'd have to strip it to nearly white, use a toner, and then add color on top of it. That process costs a small fortune, and will make the hair frizzy and tangly, too. The cuticle of the hair will never recover from all that treatment.

noosheen

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 12:22 pm
Oh no. That's really sad. ...

Did u actually do that to one of yours FF?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 4:26 pm
If you bought it online then hopefully there is a return policy and you can get a refund. Good luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 2:54 pm
noosheen wrote:
Oh no. That's really sad. ...

Did u actually do that to one of yours FF?

No, I learned how to do sheitels. I had to, because I wear an unusual shade of red, that is nearly impossible to find (30/32 blend). I had to learn about hair types, and what kind of treatment they can tolerate.

When in doubt, ALWAYS go with a shade lighter than you want. It's very easy to darken a sheitel (especially if you're fixing sun bleaching), but it's nearly impossible to fix a really dark one, especially Asian hair.

If your sheitel is European hair, and you are 100% sure of it, you can snip a few strands from the back, and do a test run with a dark blonde and see if you can get it the right color.

For the future, if you buy a sheitel that is too light, or if you need to even out sun bleaching on an old sheitel, I only use Clairol Natural Instincts. Other dyes are too harsh, and unnatural looking. Natural Instincts is gentle, smells great, and I love the shampoo and conditioner that comes with it. If you have highlights in your sheitel, the color will not go "flat" on you, and you'll get that delicate shading that better quality sheitels have.

Because Natural Instincts seals the cuticle, instead of roughing it up, your sheitel will be even softer and silkier than before. Please note - this product is NOT a bleach! You can only go darker with it. That's why I say buy a lighter shade of hair, and adjust to suit.

The beauty of this, is you can find a sheitel that you absolutely love, and if it's an ashy blonde or light brown, you can make it perfect for around 8 dollars. Very Happy

willymom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 2:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
No, I learned how to do sheitels. I had to, because I wear an unusual shade of red, that is nearly impossible to find (30/32 blend). I had to learn about hair types, and what kind of treatment they can tolerate.

When in doubt, ALWAYS go with a shade lighter than you want. It's very easy to darken a sheitel (especially if you're fixing sun bleaching), but it's nearly impossible to fix a really dark one, especially Asian hair.

If your sheitel is European hair, and you are 100% sure of it, you can snip a few strands from the back, and do a test run with a dark blonde and see if you can get it the right color.

For the future, if you buy a sheitel that is too light, or if you need to even out sun bleaching on an old sheitel, I only use Clairol Natural Instincts. Other dyes are too harsh, and unnatural looking. Natural Instincts is gentle, smells great, and I love the shampoo and conditioner that comes with it. If you have highlights in your sheitel, the color will not go "flat" on you, and you'll get that delicate shading that better quality sheitels have.

Because Natural Instincts seals the cuticle, instead of roughing it up, your sheitel will be even softer and silkier than before. Please note - this product is NOT a bleach! You can only go darker with it. That's why I say buy a lighter shade of hair, and adjust to suit.

The beauty of this, is you can find a sheitel that you absolutely love, and if it's an ashy blonde or light brown, you can make it perfect for around 8 dollars. Very Happy

pro colorist here and u can definitely lighten asian hair from black to brunette with minimal damage. but its not a diy job. u need a good colorist. but it has to be Virgin hair. u can dm me

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:02 am
willymom wrote:
pro colorist here and u can definitely lighten asian hair from black to brunette with minimal damage. but its not a diy job. u need a good colorist. but it has to be Virgin hair. u can dm me

Agreed. Asian hair can be colored, but for sure you can cause a lot of damage if you try to fix it yourself. Young people in Asia love fun colored hair, blonde tips, etc. but they all go to colorists to get it done.

willymom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm sorry, but she's right.

You can't dye a black sheitel, you can only bleach it. Bleaching hair that dark will give it a weird greenish tint (No offense meant to Greenfire, who rocks the green hair look!)

If I were you, I'd try to find a gemach, and see if you can trade it in for store credit towards a sheitel you can see in person before you buy. You could also try selling it on Facebook or Watsapp. You'll probably not get all of your money back, but you'll get back enough to make you feel a bit better.

I'd suggest Ebay, but they are flooded with Chinese wigs now, and you wouldn't get a decent price because of all the competition.

BTW, if your sheitel is Chinese or Korean hair, chances are that it is naturally black, and will REALLY not take bleach at all. You'd have to strip it to nearly white, use a toner, and then add color on top of it. That process costs a small fortune, and will make the hair frizzy and tangly, too. The cuticle of the hair will never recover from all that treatment.
sweet of u to try to help her out but bleaching dark hair def. wont turn it green..an if the hair is naturally black it is way easier to lighten than if its colored black..and I've lightened black chinese hair to beautiful blondes..umm check ur facts shock

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:17 am
willymom wrote:
sweet of u to try to help her out but bleaching dark hair def. wont turn it green..an if the hair is naturally black it is way easier to lighten than if its colored black..and I've lightened black chinese hair to beautiful blondes..umm check ur facts shock

Check my facts? Um, you could have found a more respectful way of stating that. I have definitely seen black hair turn a greenish tint before. Not "GREEN", but an undertone that is not flattering.

My advice was not about getting a sheitel done professionally, it was about what the layman can do on her own. Your perspective is a helpful addition to my own experiences as DIY.

Let's try to work together to help OP, and keep the snark out of it, OK?

willymom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Check my facts? Um, you could have found a more respectful way of stating that. I have definitely seen black hair turn a greenish tint before. Not "GREEN", but an undertone that is not flattering.

My advice was not about getting a sheitel done professionally, it was about what the layman can do on her own. Your perspective is a helpful addition to my own experiences as DIY.

Let's try to work together to help OP, and keep the snark out of it, OK?
ok sorry wasnt trying to be nasty at all..

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:41 am
willymom wrote:
ok sorry wasnt trying to be nasty at all..

Apology accepted.

I see that you're new here. We try to be very careful with our "tone" online, so people don't misread what we say. Maybe English is not your first language. Maybe you're just used to being more direct.

BTW, people on the board prefer if you not use "text speak". Spell out words like YOU and YOU'RE, instead of u and ur. Use proper capitalization and punctuation, and people will be much more likely to take you seriously. When you use shortcuts, people will assume that you are very young, or not very intelligent.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just some friendly advice to make your time on Imamother more enjoyable. Welcome to the board!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels