Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
What do Vegans eat for Main Dishes on Yom Tov?

Mevater

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 11:44 am
I want to eliminate heavy meals this Yom Tov and try some popular Vegan main dishes.

I dont want to buy lots of new ingredients though or make a complicated recipe.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 12:17 pm
There are parve fake meats, vegan "cheeses", and tons of ways you can make stir fry with noodles. Tofutti brand parve ice creams and sorbets are amazing.

We eat salty foods to remind us of Yehudis, so olives or potato chips would do the job.

If you're serious about being a hard core vegan, be sure to check the hekshers well. Morningstar Farms is OU-D now, because they use whey. Mad Mad Mad

You can find a million yummy recipes on Pinterest. Just use keyword "Vegan".

If you start feeling adventurous, look into cultures that don't eat a lot of meat, and try something new. Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Somalilan, etc. Asian food in general is dairy free. Deep fried cubes of firm tofu are delicious. You can bake them, too.

Teomima

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 12:18 pm
Do yourself, and the vegan, a favor and don't worry about going out of your way. Contrary to popular belief, us vegans and vegetarians don't try to recreate meat (or dairy) with all our meals. We don't even eat tofu/legumes/etc with every meal, though they're always welcome. Good old vegetables and grains make up the bulk of our diet. You're best off digging deep in your spice cabinet and getting creative with various stewed, roasted, sauteed and pan fried veggies.

Curried cauliflower and potatoes, or green beans with garlic and soy, or spinach and tomatoes sauteed with onion and cumin (if you have, toss in a can of drained chickpeas), or oven roasted beets and sweets. Serve it all with a side of rice (short grain brown rice is especially nice). Or stew up some potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onion, and zucchini and serve over couscous. Or make an easy parve chili with canned beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, celery, peppers, and plenty of paprika, chili powder, and cumin. With the rice.

Basically, don't worry about making a vegan "main dish." The "main dish" idea is, from my experience, more of a carnivorous concept. Just make a bunch of what you'd consider side dishes, but elevate them (and obviously skip the egg-laden potato kugel).

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 12:35 pm
Serve items with nuts, seeds, legumes, quinoa for proteins. Lots of fun colorful veggie dishes. Don't go for the faux recipes as they're not light which you seem to be looking for.
Portobello mushroom steaks topped with quinoa and nuts. Sauteed baby spinach and colorful cherry tomatoes. A filling rice dish.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 12:48 pm
I'm not vegan but would make really yummy soups ( lentil, mushroom Barley, French onion, carrot ginger, cream of brocolli, butternut etc or cold soups: mango gazpacho, curried corn coconut, tomato basil) and good bread, dips ( hummus, eggplant, guacamole, tehina, roasted garlic) for the bread, a big salad for each meal ( with some protein like quinoa, beans, tofu or nuts in the salad) and a yummy fruit dessert ( apple crisp, chocolate covered strawberries, peach pie, fried bananas etc)

Teomima

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:08 pm
tichellady wrote:
... cold soups: mango gazpacho, curried corn coconut, tomato basil

I'd love the recipes for these soups!

tichellady

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:14 pm
Teomima wrote:
I'd love the recipes for these soups!

I don't exactly follow recipes but here's the idea: https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...../amp/
I use much less red onion and jalapeƱo and go heavy on the Cilantro, will try to post the other ones later

Tomato one is something like this: I don't use stock at all,
https://www.littlebroken.com/2.....soup/

Corn one is this but I use good frozen corn ( the Trader Joe's brand) and don't cook it before, can add curry powder, cilantro etc- I would make sure to have some herbs or corn or something to garnish it with http://www.marthastewart.com/3.....-soup
I don't like the texture before it's strained but you can try it and see what you think

Last edited by tichellady on Sun, May 28 2017, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:15 pm
I'm at the coast with family this weekend and just made a batch of my grain salad. Word has it there are some vegetarians visiting for dinner tonight so it should work.

Pick a grain:
Rice
Spelt
Barley
etc.

Add a legume
lentils
chickpeas
beans

Kick it up a notch, for extra flavor and texture add:
Zatar
Minced Italian parsley, or cilantro
Onions
Fresh peppers minced or sliced
Frozen corn, peas or green beans,edamane
Shaved cabbage

Dress it up:
Salsa
Your favorite salad dressing
Pesto

Well have some BBQ hard squash, cold smoked turkey and an Italian coleslaw, tortillas on the side, fruit salad with oranges, lavender, watermelon and blueberries.

This is a go to dish that I keep on hand all year long, esp. in the summer when it gets too hot to cook. Add carrots, olives, whatever pleases you. It makes a great burrito or filling for a quesadilla.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics