Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use a peeler on shabbos?
Previous  1  2

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 9:42 am
I use a peeler. I never heard it was assur.

Zeleze

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 9:43 am
Only a knife

Thats what I learned in BY and parents home

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
Frantic it's not for you to pasken anyway op asked for a rav. So you saying why and how is irrelevant. It's what her rav will pasken. I find it odd that people pasken when they know that it belongs to a rav. I know you didn't mean this in a wrong way at all. Remember when it's Halacha we don't pasken alone.

If you are going to call me out, use your screen name.

I am not a rabbi, and I don't pasken for anyone. I told her what DH does. I'm a BT, so I didn't mention that I've never heard of a peeler being assur before. There is nothing wrong with stating "this is what I learned" or "I heard so and so say this." That's why they're called OPINIONS.

If you have a problem, bring some sources. If OP needs a rabbi, then she needs to post on AskMoses.com or Imafather.

ChillPill ChillPill ChillPill <--- take these, you'll feel better.

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 11:28 am
שמירת שבת כהלכתה, which has the opions if R Shlomo zalman auerbach, says u can't use an instrument made for peeling.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 11:45 am
cnc wrote:
For those of you that are saying no for Shabbos but yes for Yom Tov, what is the difference?

You are allowed to cook on yomtov so you are of course allowed to do borer within the context of preparing a meal ( not sorting for after yomtov). You can make a pot of pasta and then strain it in a colander, etc

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 11:48 am
There's a massive difference in borei between Shabbos and Yom Tov.
For Shabbos one has to take away the good from the bad.
On Yom Tov one is supposed to do whichever way is easier.

anotherima

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:03 pm
Rav Noibert in his sefer Shmiras Shabbos Kehilchasah writes that it is mutar to use a peeler on Shabbos. I'm sure there are different opinions, so ask your Rov.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 2:29 pm
Piskei Hilchos Shabbos by Rabbi Padawer says "Some poskim hold that it is prohibited to peel any fruits or vegetables, unless it is done immediately prior to eating or prior to the meal, but if the food will not be eaten until later on, or if he is preparing for after this seudah or for the next seudah, it is prohibited. Included in the above halacha are apples oranges pears grapes, bananas melons cucumbers carrots avocado, eggs. garlic radishes and onions."

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I think it's like if a fruit fly lands in your wine, you can scoop it out as long as you take a teaspoon of wine with it, and throw out the wine you removed with the bug.

BTW, chabad doesn't pasken this way.
According to the shulchan harav one is not permitted to remove a fly from wine even along with some wine.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
BTW, chabad doesn't pasken this way.
According to the shulchan harav one is not permitted to remove a fly from wine even along with some wine.

I'll ask DH when I get back from his business trip, because he is Lubavitch.

Personally, halacha aside, I'd dump all the wine out anyway, because EWWWWW!

I also do all my veggie prep before Shabbos, because once I light, I like to sit and read until DH comes home from shul. I guess that's why I never thought about the peeler question before.

Rebesq

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 8:34 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
No, it's straight out borer.

Considering there are gedolim who permit it luchatchila - please never say something is out right assur unless you're a posek and know every shita out there. My husbands RY permits it and is super machmir about other things regarding bishul bshabbis.

Rkelly

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 8:43 pm
According to Rav Moshe Feinstein ZT"L, using a peeler on Shabbos is permitted. He was a daas yachid (the only one who paskined this way), however he was the posek hador! Ask your Rav what to do. I follow the opinions of Rav Moshe for everything so I do so here as well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen