Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Area between New Square and Monsey - Hillcrest?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:

And to the poster that mentioned about the housefire: that was ONE set of people that made a disgusting choice. It is not inclusive of the entire community.

One set of people endorsed by the rebbe

amother
White

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:58 am
farfel wrote:
The shul opened this year in sept/Oct which is too late for city people looking to move. Probably now after some more yidden are gonna move in the summer others will copy (and just ignore the skvere factor) and the area will take off...

this rings true

I will definitely keep this in mind now when deciding what I'm buying

I better go air out

this whole thing has gotten to me

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
To me it makes a big difference if private skverer kana'im are buying or if the money is coming out of communal funds or even if it's coming from the Rebbe's private money. It's unacceptable in any way, but someone said something and I want to know where she's getting her info from.

I do know his for a fact. I cannot post online how I know. Think of previous scare tactics by some people in NS and you can understand why I don't want to write too much info. Suffice it to say that I do know. You can believe it or not, I guess.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:49 am
It is all true. NS even put in a few years ago in the Connections a notice that no one should buy within 1 mile radius. The pressure is immense. I know people's businesses are threatened if they move there. This is real.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:38 pm
This is [a] real

issue of concern to frum society

This is [a] real mitzvah

to not allow this to continue

This is real[ly]

hard to believe

REAL[LY] SAD

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 12:09 pm
I live in this area. What New Square is doing to us is the biggest form of sinas chinam. We have done absolutely nothing wrong. If they wanted this property, they should have bought it before us. Or knock on our door and offer to buy our home. We put our sweat and blood into purchasing this home, and simply cannot afford to move. So the tradeoff is that we now need to raise our children in fear of our neighbors. Fine rabbi they have there.....

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
I live in this area. What New Square is doing to us is the biggest form of sinas chinam. We have done absolutely nothing wrong. If they wanted this property, they should have bought it before us. Or knock on our door and offer to buy our home. We put our sweat and blood into purchasing this home, and simply cannot afford to move. So the tradeoff is that we now need to raise our children in fear of our neighbors. Fine rabbi they have there.....
Which neighborhood? Please let's be clear: the new up the hill area or the Mirror Lake area?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 12:36 pm
New Up The Hill

Although I must add...... We are not relenting! The community is B"H continuing to grow, just not as quickly as we would have liked.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 6:46 pm
I'm another person who has been living in this area, the new up the hill, for a while already. Yes, it is true what NS is doing. It sickens me to my core that yidden can act like this towards other yidden. And then we wonder why moshiach isn't here yet. BUT, I do want to emphasize that we are still an amazing community, we are growing, (right now there are about 40 or so families) and I love it here. We will not let NS win. They have done it to only a handful of houses so I'm hoping they will not pursue it further/ or that the rate of new people moving in will outweigh their efforts to make us want to leave.

If anyone is reading this and looking to move to a beautiful, quiet, affordable neighborhood with so many beautiful families (a mix of ysv, bycc, ashar, darchei noam etc) please don't let this whole thread deter you. We have an awesome group of people here. Hashem is in control and I believe we will continue to grow as we have been and eventually all the surrounding blocks will have frum families. You literally can't find such affordable housing and nice, normal, down to earth families anywhere else in monsey right now. The houses that go up for sale usually are bought within a week or two by another frum family. The actual numbers of houses that have been bought by NS are the minority. Of course, it's horrible for the families neighboring the mexican filled houses, and I don't mean to minimize their pain in any way.

But we should not let modern day bullies win by scaring potential buyers away from what is becoming a truly beautiful place to live.

amother
White

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 7:10 pm
I'm glad for you people up the hill I just want to say that I was discussing the Mirror Lake area

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:09 am
I'm seriously looking into a house in this area. can someone explain the difference bw up the hill and mirror lake and if anything has change politics -wise?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:21 am
I would like to come check out the area. What is the zip code? What are some street or avenue names? Are there rentals available? What's an average rental price?
For a single woman, no children.
Can't afford Brooklyn prices :-(

happyone

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 3:08 pm
Northbrook has frum ppl. Its not skver purchasing necessarily, its investors and families looking to buy their children home and that's affordable whereas center monsey no longer is. They are waiting for it to become more Frum prior to moving out there. New square long gave up their stand to keep the area separate. Rabbi rottenberg has a shul there .

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
I find it very sad that people are jumping to calling NS community hateful and saying horrible things about their Rebbe. This finger-pointing and angry tone sounds to me a lot more hateful than what NS is doing...

Because, did you ever stop and ask WHY NS is trying to buy up those houses?

When NS was first established, the Rebbe specifically looked to establish a community that was far from other established communities because he wanted to create a flavor that ran through his chasidus. NS is one of the most unified communities; all the kids go to the same schools, have the same schedules, and in general, the community has it's own unique sense of being, with life revolving around what it means to be a Skverer chasid. Their goal is to preserve that unique rhythm. And it makes sense.

Imagine a university, set on creatimg a unified campus. They work hard at creating "spirit" events and everyone is walking around campus wearing the school colors and taking pride in their unique connection. But over in the dormitory, there is all of sudden a massive influx of students from a different university... The feeling of kindred spirits would be dampened and it would affect campus life.

Of course, such a thing would never happen, because the original university would never allow a person who didn't feel intense love for their school to live in the dorms.

It's the same concept here. Skver is NOT seeking to isolate other Jews; the are seeking to preserve their unique flavor.

Again, if you take pickels and mix it with orange juice -- are either (both delicious!) flavors preserved? No. Of course not.

And again, offering to pay above market price to preserve that flavor is not disgusting; it is mentchlich. They want something, so they are willing to give the other person something else that the person wants. They are enabling those home owners to take the money and buy in other areas that perhaps they wouldn't have been able to afford.

There is no underhandedness here. They are playing totally fair.

And to the poster that mentioned about the housefire: that was ONE set of people that made a disgusting choice. It is not inclusive of the entire community.

The only problem with your analogy is that the ones moving nearby (not even IN the community) are not from a different university. They are from the same university, observe and honor the same Torah and also serve the one and only Hashem. New Square's action rather resemble segregation from the 1800s, trying to keep their community "white" while ensuring people of "color" don't encroach on their properly.

If us Yidden can't even live near our own brethren because of minor differences, then what on earth are we expecting from our non-Jewish neighbors?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 5:08 pm
so it's officially over? NS gave up?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
so it's officially over? NS gave up?

No they didn't give up fully.
There was a major fight now with Viznitz over this. Ifyou're interested in the area, you can check up Lazer Farkas. He's the real estate agent behind this and he can add you to a text group of the area. There are already about 13 , maybe now more, fine chassidish families living there and more who own but didn't move yet. This is the mirror lake area known as hillcrest.

New up the hill area is also in hillcrest but it's still within the 1 mile of NS and there skver buys up houses and rents out one house to many families,lowlifes and makes it unpleasant to live there. tthis area is more for ashar and ysv type families.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:19 pm
The area you were looking at is not in the mile radius of new square so no need to worry about it. Whoever wrote that new square is trying to keep within 5 mile radius is not making any sense a huge part of monsey, spring valley, and new hemstead is within 5 miles and they never caused us any problems. There are many frum people living right next to new square. But some parts of Hillcrest are full of Spanish lowlife they share apartments and they pay better rent, so just be careful before you buy I don't think you want to many of those as your neighbors.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Spanish lowlife

I'm just curious if you really thought this was necessary? A lowlife is a lowlife, race not a determining factor.

And btw, when I first bought my house in Spring Valley almost a decade ago, my immediate next door neighbors were a nice Spanish family who never made any trouble. Across the street was a lovely Haitian family who would come over and turn on/off appliances if needed on Shabbos. Living next to non-Jews isn't automatically, by default, a horrific option. Just because people are poor, doesn't mean they are horrible.

A few blocks away from me, however, is gang neighborhood. THAT is horrible.

It's important to know what type of people are living over there -- and no, "Spanish" does not explain it!

Rant over. Back to NS:

I just want to say that everyone on this forum has family minhagim that are unique, that they want to preserve. NS is the same. It has nothing do with hatred, and they themselves are the biggest explanation of that. Let me explain.

New Square has a policy that if a woman marries a man who is not a Skvere chasid, then they will have to live outside of New Square. This is not hatred; it is preservation.

If a family allows a man to marry their beloved daughter, you can bet they don't hate him. But being the man, he carries the minhagim of HIS chasidus, and that doesn't belong in their community. They love him, they respect him, they want to see him and their daughter raise a beautiful family -- but the flavor of Skver should remain the flavor of Skver.

For that reason, Skvere girls who marry non-Skvere boys live often in Monsey, just a jump away from Skvere. They easily go visit when they want.

I think wisdom is this: Understand that every branch of Judaism has much beauty, and you may not always understand why people from other branches do the things they do. And you might even feel that things are wrong, at times, but were you to have a better understanding, you'd realize that it is just the fact that we are limited, judging humans. And not that everyone is out to get everyone, chas v'shalom.

Yidden are amazing, whereever they come from.

BTW, anyone read that AMI article about Adam and Brandon spending Shabbos in New Square?

THAT'S the kind of Skver I know.

And no, I am not a Skverer.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:53 pm
Well I'm repeating what my cleaning lady told me she lives in spring valley not far from new square and she told me her neighborhood is unsafe and full of drug dealers. She will not go out alone at night. She herself happens to be an extremely nice and decent person with good morals but most of her neighbors not. We happen to own a house in Hillcrest we're renting it to a Spanish guy but my husband thinks they have 4 families living there. As long as they're paying the rent we're good. Maybe one day it'll become a frum neighborhood that will be great. But for now it's not, they actually had a shooting in that area around a year ago.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:59 pm
amother wrote:
Well I'm repeating what my cleaning lady told me she lives in spring valley not far from new square and she told me her neighborhood is unsafe and full of drug dealers. She will not go out alone at night. She herself happens to be an extremely nice and decent person with good morals but most of her neighbors not. We happen to own a house in Hillcrest we're renting it to a Spanish guy but my husband thinks they have 4 families living there. As long as they're paying the rent we're good. Maybe one day it'll become a frum neighborhood that will be great. But for now it's not, they actually had a shooting in that area around a year ago.

Ok, I hear you. There def. are lowlifes, but I think you could have skipped the nationality altogether, for reasons of PC.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries