Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
North Miami Beach info
1  2  Next

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:33 pm
BH I just got a job offer that would have us moving from NY to Florida. If I accept the offer, we would have to move this coming summer.

From what I understand we'd fit into North Miami Beach the best.

DH would ideally like to be part of the kollel there, but we understand that since it's so last minute the chances of him getting in are slim. So at least in the beginning he would just learn by himself until something better materializes (ideally in learning, chinuch etc...)

The only problem is I have so many questions about NMB but I don't have anyone IRL to ask! My job is with a non-jewish company, so I can't use them to get into contacts/info.

My questions:
1- Schools: as I said, we are a kollel-minded family. I have one boy entering first grade this year, and then a girl the following year. What school options do I have for both of them?

2- Housing: What range of streets should I be looking into? (are jews and non-jews mixed thorughout nmb or is there an area with a heavy population of jews) Are there rentals available or mainly only for sale?

3- I've seen this question throughout my searches on imamother, but can someone give me an update on daily life in terms of crime/safety? I read a lot about women not going out alone at night-- what if I need to go somewhere and my husband isn't around to bring me to my car and back inside? It's ok for men to walk around by themselves at night? What about during the day? Can kids walk around by themselves (at a proper age, I'm not talking about 5 year olds)?

4- Are there parks/playgrounds where people tend so spend time or everyone stays to themselves in their houses and backyards?

Anything else you want to add please feel free!!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 9:09 am
bumping.. really need this info!!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:28 am
I can only tell you my limited experience from visiting & our mechutanim who have lived there for a few years now.
We felt perfectly safe day or night. Safer than most places in NY.
Jews live interspersed with non Jews.
Very laid back & easy going.
The level of frumkeit is far more relaxed than in most places & tznius there reflects that.
Otherwise you'd find it much like any small OOT community.
People certainly rent there too but it's cheap to buy particularly if you qualify as a first home buyer.

esther11

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:56 am
Hi! I live in Miami, you can pm me with any questions and I'll try to help out. Good luck with your move!!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 2:45 pm
the level of frumkeit/tzinus does get me a bit nervous. does anyone have any more on this?

as much as I am into accepting others and have no problem being friends who are holding in different places, I am more concerned about my children (and yes, I want my children to be accepting of others too, but there are other ways to learn it)

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 4:50 pm
There was a rabbi that got killed there Crying

grace413

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:

People get killed everywhere.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:

And? Someone got killed where I live a few weeks ago. And someone else got stabbed. Someone was killed in Brooklyn last week. People were killed in London, Paris, Athens, all
over Israel....

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
the level of frumkeit/tzinus does get me a bit nervous. does anyone have any more on this?

as much as I am into accepting others and have no problem being friends who are holding in different places, I am more concerned about my children (and yes, I want my children to be accepting of others too, but there are other ways to learn it)

What are you concerned about? NMB is the most yeshivish area in South Florida. There is a range of course, but I don't think your kids will have an issue finding likeminded friends.

As far as safety, I wouldn't walk alone at night, but I wouldn't do that anywhere. Getting in and out of the car is not issue. They have police cars constantly patrolling.

There are two parks by the canal (one for toddlers and one for older kids) which are popular on shabbos.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:

What exactly is wrong with the frumkeit and tznius level of the women in Miami, more than any other place? There are women everywhere who are more and less religious, who dress more and less tzanua.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:43 am
Following this thread. Looks like we will be moving there too. I know absolutely nothing about the community. My biggest question right now is about housing. What area do frum people live in? Is there a specific range of streets in which most frum people live? I want to make sure we are walking distance to others so the kids can make friends.
If anyone knows contact info for good realtors who can help us look for a rental home that would be a big help!
Are there options for kosher supermarkets or are the kosher stores small and most people shop at the non-jewish supermarkets?
Are there parks/playgrounds in the area? Now we go out to the park most weeks when the weather is nice on shabbos, otherwise the kids go stir-crazy.
Is it worth it to bring along winter coats, etc.? Does the weather ever get cold enough to need coats or will light jackets be enough? (I figure I can get rid of snowboots/snowpants but not sure if coats will be needed).
I have a million and 1 questions so any info that can be shared would be great.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
My biggest question right now is about housing. What area do frum people live in? Is there a specific range of streets in which most frum people live? I want to make sure we are walking distance to others so the kids can make friends.
If anyone knows contact info for good realtors who can help us look for a rental home that would be a big help!
Are there options for kosher supermarkets or are the kosher stores small and most people shop at the non-jewish supermarkets?
Are there parks/playgrounds in the area? Now we go out to the park most weeks when the weather is nice on shabbos, otherwise the kids go stir-crazy.
Is it worth it to bring along winter coats, etc.? Does the weather ever get cold enough to need coats or will light jackets be enough? (I figure I can get rid of snowboots/snowpants but not sure if coats will be needed).
I have a million and 1 questions so any info that can be shared would be great.

There are a bunch of shuls on 10th ave, so there will be frum Jews anywhere within walking distance to about 10th and 175th. There are several Jewish realtors, I don't know their names offhand but it should be easy to find one.

Most people shop at other stores, like Publix or Walmart, in addition to the kosher stores.

There are parks by the canal that people go to.

You won't need heavy coats but you may want to hold on to them for when you travel.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
There are a bunch of shuls on 10th ave, so there will be frum Jews anywhere within walking distance to about 10th and 175th. There are several Jewish realtors, I don't know their names offhand but it should be easy to find one.

Most people shop at other stores, like Publix or Walmart, in addition to the kosher stores.

There are parks by the canal that people go to.

You won't need heavy coats but you may want to hold on to them for when you travel.

The Jewish area is pretty much from 6th-15th avenues, and 169th-Miami gardens drive. There are Jews who live outside of those areas, but that is the main Jewish area.
10th ave has many Shuls, and 163rd has LOTS of shopping, both grocery and other stuff. There is also amazing savings, which is slightly beyond 15th ave. There is also grocery shopping in aventura and the waterways, and there is a mall in aventura.
I don't know all of the NMB schools, but Bais Yaakov and Toras Emes are both on 163rd.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 1:35 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
What exactly is wrong with the frumkeit and tznius level of the women in Miami, more than any other place? There are women everywhere who are more and less religious, who dress more and less tzanua.

As someone that lives in Florida, close to NMB, I couldn't agree more.
We have all types from super typical Beis Yaacov, Kollel, etc, to very light traditional, and everything in between.

As far as schools, you have Yeshiva Elementary - yeshivish
Toras Emes- frum, but not as yeshivish
BY only starts from 6th grade
For boys the schools mentioned above have high school division.

Places to live Miami Beach - moderate - expensive
Surfside/Bal Harbor- moderate - expensive
North Mami Beach - most affordable
Aventura- not too many families, but growing, moderate -expensive
Hollywood- IMO Too North, big commute but many do it.
Boca Raton, further north, way too far unless you send to schools in Boca.

May I suggest you visit the schools. Decide where you are going to send, and then ask where most of the classmates live.
You want your kids to have friends living close by, especially for Shabbos.
Also, maybe rent the first year until you are sure that's where you want to settle.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 1:40 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
The Jewish area is pretty much from 6th-15th avenues, and 169th-Miami gardens drive. There are Jews who live outside of those areas, but that is the main Jewish area.
10th ave has many Shuls, and 163rd has LOTS of shopping, both grocery and other stuff. There is also amazing savings, which is slightly beyond 15th ave. There is also grocery shopping in aventura and the waterways, and there is a mall in aventura.
I don't know all of the NMB schools, but Bais Yaakov and Toras Emes are both on 163rd.

Thank you. This was very helpful.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you. This was very helpful.

Also, there are a number of kosher restaurants both within NMB and also within short driving distance.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
As someone that lives in Florida, close to NMB, I couldn't agree more.
We have all types from super typical Beis Yaacov, Kollel, etc, to very light traditional, and everything in between.

As far as schools, you have Yeshiva Elementary - yeshivish
Toras Emes- frum, but not as yeshivish
BY only starts from 6th grade
For boys the schools mentioned above have high school division.

Places to live Miami Beach - moderate - expensive
Surfside/Bal Harbor- moderate - expensive
North Mami Beach - most affordable
Aventura- not too many families, but growing, moderate -expensive
Hollywood- IMO Too North, big commute but many do it.
Boca Raton, further north, way too far unless you send to schools in Boca.

May I suggest you visit the schools. Decide where you are going to send, and then ask where most of the classmates live.
You want your kids to have friends living close by, especially for Shabbos.
Also, maybe rent the first year until you are sure that's where you want to settle.

Does Toras Emes (which I know is a chofetz chaim school) have a middle/high school girl's division? Or do the girls only go up till 5th grade and then they go to a different (unaffiliated with chofetz chaim) school for middle/high school?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
Does Toras Emes (which I know is a chofetz chaim school) have a middle/high school girl's division? Or do the girls only go up till 5th grade and then they go to a different (unaffiliated with chofetz chaim) school for middle/high school?

For girls Toras Emes goes only till 5th grade.
The girls transfer either to BY or Shaare Bina.
Because there are only 2 schools, there is a mix. In every school, everywhere, you'll always find girls that care more and others that don't.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:45 pm
which girls school (elementary) do the kollel families generally send to?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
which girls school (elementary) do the kollel families generally send to?

Toras Emes or YES
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating