Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How to get a hechsher on a product

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 3:46 pm
I am currently selling a food item and would like to make it certified Kosher. I am in NY. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with obtaining one for something they sell out of the home. I'd also like to know approximately how much these things cost. Thanks!

pause

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 3:57 pm
I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

Your best bet would be speaking to others who do this sort of thing. People who sell miniatures, cake platters, etc. Tons of people do this.

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 4:00 pm
That's why I asked here! I want to hear some experiences.

cnc

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 4:01 pm
I believe that R' Amram Roth gives a hechsher without having a separate kitchen. Many many hechsheirim will not.

cnc

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 4:02 pm
pause wrote:
I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

Your best bet would be speaking to others who do this sort of thing. People who sell miniatures, cake platters, etc. Tons of people do this.

Most of these people have a separate business kitchen which makes it much easier to obtain certification. The very well respected hechsheirim will not certify without a separate kitchen.

cholenteater

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:12 pm
I don't have any help to offer but just wanted to say Hatzlacha rabba with your food product!

5mom

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:24 am
You can go to the OU website and fill out a form. (Google ou get certified) They have high standards, though. You might have an easier time if you contact your local vaad.

cnc

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:53 am
PM me - and I'll give you whatever information I have.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:00 am
mandr wrote:
I am currently selling a food item and would like to make it certified Kosher. I am in NY. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with obtaining one for something they sell out of the home. I'd also like to know approximately how much these things cost. Thanks!

You won't get hashgacha out of your home, in my experience. Even my local rabbi would not do it. No major hashgacha will. Unless your home has a detached structure which can not be accessed by the inside, they will not consider it. They have to have yotzei be nichnas and won't do it in your private living space.

Get a commercial space that can be locked or hire them for runs in commercial kitchens ( way more expensive.) I don't know about costs because each business and certified are different as well as the type of mashgiach you need.

PSmommy

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 3:44 pm
cnc wrote:
I believe that R' Amram Roth gives a hechsher without having a separate kitchen. Many many hechsheirim will not.

Does anyone know how strict his Hechsher is?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics