Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you think Rose is a Jewish name?
Previous  1  2  3

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:46 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Roizy is a very common name in Chassidish circles but it's considered quite a yonchy name.

oh my!!
Chaval chaval on all those years I was jealous on the Rosies!! What a waste of a heart ache!! Had I known then that it's younchy I'd probably be super happy with my own name...

By the way, Update; The word younchy has changed since. it's now replaced with Chruzel. Won't find it on Google. Youll have to Walk besides any Chassidish mother shopping with teenage daughters to hear it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:05 am
crust wrote:
oh my!!
Chaval chaval on all those years I was jealous on the Rosies!! What a waste of a heart ache!! Had I known then that it's younchy I'd probably be super happy with my own name...

By the way, Update; The word younchy has changed since. it's now replaced with Chruzel. Won't find it on Google. Youll have to Walk besides any Chassidish mother shopping with teenage daughters to hear it.

Well? Enquring minds want to know.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:09 am
Coffee Addict wrote:
To me rose is , rose from the titanic movie! What a gorgeous girl she is! Lol!

And to me, its short for Rosalita... "Oh, closets are for hangers, winners use the door. So use it, Rosie, that's what it's there for."

debsey

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:54 pm
Rose sounds American to me. Maybe it's because I had a few acquaintances named Rose, all of whom were American.

Rosy sounds more "normal" to my ear, because then it could be for Rose or Roiza.

Roiza sounds heimish.

Oddly enough, Shoshana Roiza sounds yeshivishe, maybe because I know a whole bunch of yeshivish girls named Shoshana Roiza

yogabird

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:14 pm
Crust is it yunchy to use the word yunchy?

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:18 pm
yogabird wrote:
Crust is it yunchy to use the word yunchy?

Lol
Outdated.

etky

Post Wed, May 31 2017, 11:32 am
debsey wrote:
Rose sounds American to me. Maybe it's because I had a few acquaintances named Rose, all of whom were American.

Rosy sounds more "normal" to my ear, because then it could be for Rose or Roiza.

Roiza sounds heimish.

Oddly enough, Shoshana Roiza sounds yeshivishe, maybe because I know a whole bunch of yeshivish girls named Shoshana Roiza

I agree.
OP, it depends what you mean by a Jewish name.
The way I see it, Rose is no more inherently "Jewish" than Betty or Estelle or Pearl. Or their male counterparts like Morty, Isadore, Morris or Jack.
They were typical secular English names that were especially favored by Jewish immigrants to the US a century ago. Usually there would be a phonetic relationship between the child's Hebrew or Yiddish name used at home and ceremonially and the English name used in the non-Jewish public sphere.
For example, my grandmother (born 1910 in the US) was Ruchel and her English name was Rose. Her sister was Bluma and her English name was Betty.
They might be Jewish sociologically speaking, regarding a certain generation, but that's about it. Regarding how the name is perceived today I have no idea.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 8:50 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
Roizy is a very common name in Chassidish circles but it's considered quite a yonchy name.

Is it Jewish to post this? I think not. You may have insulted several people here. That's not very Jewish.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 9:28 pm
cm wrote:
Thanks for asking. I just googled "yonchy" and "yunchy" and found nothing.

Funny I think you're the one I asked on the thread about "cool" family size, about the word nerdy. You said it's used on this site, for things like salad.

So now I'm trying to understand what makes a name "nebby"? Lol.

Thanks to the poster who translated!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 1:26 am
There's nothing American about a name that was used for centuries if not more, no.

FTR, Perla/Perel is Ladino/Yiddish, and Estella is also Sefardic. Nothing to do with Morton or whatever. My friend who is chassidish asked about giving Rose (modern relatives were pressuring to do Shoshana which she hates) and was told yes it's Jewish, and there are tzadekesses named so.

One of Rashi's daughters had a Judeo-French name, so ya.

etky

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 1:49 am
Ruchel wrote:
There's nothing American about a name that was used for centuries if not more, no.

FTR, Perla/Perel is Ladino/Yiddish, and Estella is also Sefardic. Nothing to do with Morton or whatever. My friend who is chassidish asked about giving Rose (modern relatives were pressuring to do Shoshana which she hates) and was told yes it's Jewish, and there are tzadekesses named so.

One of Rashi's daughters had a Judeo-French name, so ya.

I disagree with you in your definition of "a Jewish name".
Rose (not Rosa or Raizel or any other Yiddish name) is an English language name heavily favored by Jews in the USA during the early years of the 20th century. There's nothing distinctly or uniquely Jewish about it IMO, except sociologically speaking.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 5:18 am
etky wrote:
I disagree with you in your definition of "a Jewish name".
Rose (not Rosa or Raizel or any other Yiddish name) is an English language name heavily favored by Jews in the USA during the early years of the 20th century. There's nothing distinctly or uniquely Jewish about it IMO, except sociologically speaking.

Rose is a very old and international name.
I'm not defending it because of any personal reason, and I'm not even so much into it (I much prefer Raizel or even Roza). But simply, facts are facts. Even the rabbis said the name was used for centuries, as a Judeo-French name, and I didn't write down the examples my friend told me about, but they had nothing American. I do remember she said on the ketuba it is resh, vav, zayin.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names