Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Colleges with Modern Orthodox Student Community
1  2  Next

Kugglegirl

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 8:28 am
For a daughter with good grades and good SAT scores graduating from OOT BY-style school. Daughter is an energetic & creative type, comfortable attending classes with boys & girls.

I would like to hear from anyone who recently attended, or knows people who attended, or sent your kids to colleges with an active Modern Orthodox student community. Something beyond "a really active Chabad."

& anyone know anything about schools with Kosher dining plans?

Currently are looking at University of Pennsylvania (reach school), University of Maryland, & Stern Women's college (have told daughter this is her safety school).

Would be interested to hear about University of Chicago, or other schools.

Plan is for daughter will go to seminary & attend college on return.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:00 am
Before reading your choices, the schools that came to mind were Penn, Columbia, UMD, and Stern. Also look into Northwestern and Wash U in St. Louis. Some of the SUNYs could also be options. I'm not so up-to-date on this area, but I don't recall U. of Chicago having a particularly large and active Hillel house.

cm

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:01 am
Start here: https://oujlic.org

JLIC is a program affiliated with the OU that sends educators (usually a young married couple) to college campuses that already have a thriving and/or growing MO population.

Kosher food is much easier to find on campus than it used to be, and does not necessarily indicate a strong Orthodox presence.

What does your daughter want to study?

nylon

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:03 am
Chicago does have a decent sized Jewish community, but not such a big observant group.

I know observant people who went to Binghamton and liked it. Also Rutgers.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:05 am
Queens College has a very large active young modern orthodox community.

Dont know if your daughter is interested in a CUNY school, I went there, and loved it.
There are so many young, frum people who rent apartments near the college, which is great bc it also in the heart of the frum community.
We recently had a few kids over for a shabbos meal who were all from OOT and are in Queens College and love it, they also said its so convenient, they can get to the city whenever they want to, they are able to walk to school...

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:07 am
If penn is a reach u of chicago will be also. The motto is u of c where fun comes to die. It's really not for most. They have a fantastic Chabad, Kosher food and a regular minyan. What about university of Michigan?

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
Queens College has a very large active young modern orthodox community.

Dont know if your daughter is interested in a CUNY school, I went there, and loved it.
There are so many young, frum people who rent apartments near the college, which is great bc it also in the heart of the frum community.
We recently had a few kids over for a shabbos meal who were all from OOT and are in Queens College and love it, they also said its so convenient, they can get to the city whenever they want to, they are able to walk to school...

While Queens has dorms, its a commuter school. Most of the Orthodox students go home for Shabbat and chagim. While some will stay, I wouldn't call it thriving.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:24 am
mha3484 wrote:
If penn is a reach u of chicago will be also. The motto is u of c where fun comes to die. It's really not for most. They have a fantastic Chabad, Kosher food and a regular minyan. What about university of Michigan?

Michigan! That's one I forgot. Great school with a thriving MO community.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:28 am
doctorima wrote:
Before reading your choices, the schools that came to mind were Penn, Columbia, UMD, and Stern. Also look into Northwestern and Wash U in St. Louis. Some of the SUNYs could also be options. I'm not so up-to-date on this area, but I don't recall U. of Chicago having a particularly large and active Hillel house.

SUNY

Binghamton is the big MO school of the SUNYs.

Albany is second. It has a much smaller community, but its pretty devoted.

Stony Brook and Buffalo are possible, but not really as much.

Geneseo just opened a kosher dining hall, but I'd still stay away until its much better established.

Don't know much about Northwestern. Maybe.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:23 am
Rutgers in NJ. Also Brandeis obviously has a large community

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:43 am
I live in Chicago and would not recommend any of the colleges here if you are looking for a strong cohort of modern orthodox students. If you are interested in the Midwest you can look at the University of Michigan otherwise your daughter will enjoy her self more on the east coast.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:46 am
Brandeis is also a good option.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 11:20 am
UCLA.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 11:54 am
Nyu

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 12:30 pm
Columbia/Barnard. Very active community, self-organized Shabbat meals, shomer shabbos suites, accommodating professors and administration. For example, on shabbos you don't have to swipe your card.

Kugglegirl

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 1:34 pm
This is all great information!

I would love to hear more about UCLA. We have family on the west coast & that would be a plus as well.

jd1212

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 6:55 pm
I went to Barnard not long ago and it has a large frum community. Predominantly girls from co-ed modern orthodox high schools like SAR, Frisch, Ramaz. There is always a group of at least a dozen or two shomer negiah girls/ones who wear skirts/sleeves etc.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 7:41 pm
Kugglegirl wrote:
This is all great information!

I would love to hear more about UCLA. We have family on the west coast & that would be a plus as well.

It's very hard to get into Ucla as there are many applicants every year. A very warm orthodox community but also on the smaller side . I'm not sure if there is a kosher meal plan.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 11:24 pm
I second Brandeis. I came in Reform and came out confused. Smile A lot of people exploring their Judaism there and frumming out. I didn't go all the way, but became frum after Brandeis. Great Orthodox Organization and halfway decent kosher food, lots of good stuff happening on Shabbos, etc.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 12:18 am
Binghamton
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics