Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Adhd and meds

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:11 pm
ds is on meds. on stimulants. last 4-6 hrs. when he comes home its off. hes back to his old self.

im trying to figure out on your experience with your child. if your child has been on meds.

for a long time. past teen years. has cbt helped you learn to cope and has it taught your child how to control themselves. or only meds helped.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 6:12 pm
CBT combined w meds is the best.

And you might want to look into longer acting stimulants, the ones that go for 12 hrs or more.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 12:51 am
We have a had a lot of success with both meds and coaching.
the coaching was both for ds and for me and my husband - guiding us on how to deal with situations that came up and it made a huge difference

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:04 pm
Coaching/therapy for ADHD to learn skills is the best - allowed me to go off medication in highschool. Some people need to stay on meds anyway, and that's totally great if meds help them, but meds + coaching/therapy is a winning combination and the coaching/therapy realy does make a big difference even if you're on meds.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:20 pm
Yes I am going to speak with a doctor to see if we could get him longer lasting meds. The short term ones are not long enough. Problem is they take away his appetite. And he's not eating the greatest on it. And everyone of them has other issues. Adderall I was told has the least side affects.

Maybe I'm not informed well and there is something better for yt there for him. I will discuss with the doctor. Meantime I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:26 pm
What kind of coaching helps?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:27 pm
DD 13, is very natural minded, and has always hated taking medicine. She has to feel like she's on Death's doorstep before she'll take an Advil.

She has a big shot of espresso in the morning, and her school allows her to bring "energy drinks" to class. They are high in caffeine, and she sips one slowly over the course of the day to keep herself stable and focused. She lets herself "crash" when she comes home, and is self aware not to take it out on other people when she's unwinding.

When she was younger, she had speech and language, executive functioning, and social skills therapy, but it only helped about half way. Adding a stimulant has really turned the corner for her.

Since this is in "natural parenting", I'd suggest giving a child a protein shake for breakfast (that tastes like a milkshake), and put a strong shot of coffee in it. Maybe give a second shake in a Thermos for a lunch time boost. Let your child help you come up with a good recipe, and have fun experimenting in the kitchen!

Tip: Brew a big, strong pot of coffee once a week, and keep it in a pitcher in the fridge. Your child can make an iced coffee after school, or pour some over a small bowl of ice cream. Teach him to learn to love mochas.

Green tea has caffeine in it, too. Brew it extra strong, and store like coffee. You can add it to frozen fruit in the blender to make smoothies. The effect is more gentle than coffee, so maybe save it for after school.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:33 pm
Frantic thanks for your time to answer I would really like to hear about meds and therapy. If caffeine did the trick I wouldn't be discussing meds.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
Frantic thanks for your time to answer I would really like to hear about meds and therapy. If caffeine did the trick I wouldn't be discussing meds.

I'm sorry, I misread the forum. embarrassed I thought we were in natural parenting/safe haven. My advice would be different then.

Take whatever the doctor tells you, and report back any side effects. Extended release meds seem to have the best track record.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:18 pm
My son takes a second dose of his medicine after lunch in school.
This seems to help him get through the rest of the school day
At this point. Especially now that the weather is nice and he can play outside it seems to work for him

He is starving at night and makes up a days worth of eating at night

I do need to add in better therapy to his mix of coping techniques but haven't done that yet

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 5:42 am
coaching can be for your child or for you to understand and know how to respond to your child so you can grow with the adhd instead of it doing the opposite

Been there - it's not easy but there is hope
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)