Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
When the Truth Comes to the Surface

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:36 am
Someone tried to explain to me that when a Jew comes home to E"Y there is a sort of "growing pain" because of an attempt for the truth to come to the surface. In other words, if there is any sort of struggle within that has been allowed to lay dormant in chutz l'aretz, once you get to E"Y, this struggle will surface because the truth is attempting to emerge and that can be a difficult--and even a painful--thing.

I would like to know if anyone has heard this and KNOWS if it has a Torah source. I am interested in finding the source for this if it is indeed a Torah concept.

By the way, there is a concept like this in acupuncture. A person will supposedly feel a "healing pain" before the pain for which they are being treated disappears. An MD from China who practices acupuncture in Maryland told me this.

Thank you : )

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 7:03 am
That is fascinating, I would also love to see a source for this.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 8:24 am
The gemara in Brachot 5a says that Eretz Yisrael לא נקניית אלא בייסורים

Is that what you mean?
It seems psychologically sound to say that the way to reach your most essential self is to peel back layers of falsehood, and that's got to hurt.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 8:33 am
amother wrote:

Is that what you mean?
It seems psychologically sound to say that the way to reach your most essential self is to peel back layers of falsehood, and that's got to hurt.

I donno. To me it sounds like quite simply, no pain, no gain.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 9:14 am
I don't understand that Gemara. Many times the Gemara says things we don't understand. I guess this falls in there.

You can interpret it however you want.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 9:23 am
I was in isreal a few times, and never felt the pain you're describing. If something, there was always joy and holiness in the air.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:05 am
When I was in seminary, one of the teachers told us that it used to be very difficult to get to E"Y. If you read stories of the travels of yesteryear, the journey was quite arduous, over stormy seas or dry hot deserts (depending where you were coming from), etc...so people who made that journey did so with mesiras nefesh, out of a strong desire to breathe the air of Eretz Yisrael....and this was a growth experience for them.

By comparison, today we just hop on a plane....but it behooves us to prepare ourselves for the holiness of the land, anyway.

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 1:37 pm
yksraya wrote:
I was in isreal a few times, and never felt the pain you're describing. If something, there was always joy and holiness in the air.

Yes, visiting is a very different experience than yishuv.

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:

Is that what you mean?

What you wrote about peeling back layers of falsehood sounds very similar to what the person was trying to explain to me. I don't get the feeling that it's the yisurim thing unless there is either more to it than just the fact there are yisurim or else the commentary explains what you wrote.

I would LOVE to know!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational