Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
PSA, vent don't give other people's kids food without asking
Previous  1  2

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 3:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Mom was a drop upset, because she heard this new thing about not giving babies any gluten for the first year. I'd never heard of that. She assured me that no harm had been done, and that she wasn't mad at me. We talked about how babies usually get teething biscuits, rice cereal, oatmeal, Malt O'Meal, etc. Mom calmed down and everything was fine.
Sad

This is totally OT, but not giving gluten during the first year can actually make child MORE likely to develop allergies/intolerance to gluten later. Though you should NOT have given her anything without mom's permission, you may have done the baby a favor! So don't beat yourself up :-)

mazal555

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
This is totally OT, but not giving gluten during the first year can actually make child MORE likely to develop allergies/intolerance to gluten later. Though you should NOT have given her anything without mom's permission, you may have done the baby a favor! So don't beat yourself up :-)

That's actually not true. There was ONE study that seemed to indicate that with peanuts but the methodology was later found faulty and subsequent studies didn't have the same results.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:31 am
Gluten is given much before one year.

But I've found my babies with lollipops and stuff, or been asked "why" they couldn't have candies. At least those asked.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 6:38 am
Amother maroon, thanks for posting the link to those alert pins. They are awesome.
When my child went into anaphylactic shock, first responders had no idea what they were treating, and proper treatment was delayed. Such a keychain or pin can save a life. Good for you for putting them on your kids.

jewish613

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 7:20 am
I recently saw a young boy with his allergies clearly printed on his kippah. I thought it was brilliant!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 8:33 am
mazal555 wrote:
That's actually not true. There was ONE study that seemed to indicate that with peanuts but the methodology was later found faulty and subsequent studies didn't have the same results.

It was not found to be faulty.
They say that this is why there are hardly any peanut allergies in Israel.
There was actually in advert in this weeks mishpacha for some peanut concoction to give to babies in order to prevent allergies.
It caught my eye since my kid was very slightly allergic to peanuts and I was told by the allergist to SPECIALLY give it to him to prevent it getting to a full-blown allergy. (Obviously that can't be done with a real allergy). This happened quite recently.

bsy

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 9:25 am
jewish613 wrote:
I recently saw a young boy with his allergies clearly printed on his kippah. I thought it was brilliant!

My brother had this. He was severely allergic to milk and dairy, and his yarmulkah said "I am allergic to milk and dairy" with little pictures of foods. It nearly saved his life once...

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:12 am
Awesome idea!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 4:09 pm
Those pins are amazing for kids not old enough to not eat food that's handed to them.

For older kids, Medic alert (or similar) bracelets are crucial! They are not embarrassing, since they look like jewelry, and allow emergency personnel or other professionals to understand what is happening if your kid has an anaphylactic reaction (also good for asthma, diabetes,etc).

I have an anaphylactic allergy, thank G-d no one else in my family does, but a woman gave my kid (thankfully with no allergies) some snack in the park and I gave her a 10 minute lecture on the dangers of feeding young children - allergies (you could kill them), diabetes (you could kill a kid with diabetes by giving them a sweet snack), celiac, etc. I was so mad. And since I have an anaphylactic allergy, I couldn't go near my own child after that because she had a snack I was allergic to all over her hands after the woman gave it to her - I can't even get near my own kid because of this woman, but I thank G-d that I'm the one with the allergy and not my kid. I always make sure to tell other mothers in the park to ask before feeding children, and from age 4 teach my own kids to ask another child's parents before offering the child food.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics