Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What would you do (poll)

What would you do?
Make aliyah to Israel within the next year or so  
 73%  [ 11 ]
Move out of NYC, OOT community  
 13%  [ 2 ]
Mom finds a job and then saves money before moving to Israel  
 6%  [ 1 ]
Mom finds a job, family moves OOT & stays in the US  
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:28 am
I know this is my decision (sorry for starting another thread about this topic), but I'm curious what other people would do.

What would you do if.....

You were living in a 1 bedroom apartment with 3 kids (not rented, paying just maintenance, parents own the apartment).
You're paying $13000 a year for a yeshiva and by next year, it would be more with another child.
Your husband is the only one working, income is around $73000 before tax. Mom stay at home, trying to work from home (no luck yet) & taking care of the youngest at home.
No savings, just paying bill after bill....
Husband still paying for student loans, also still paying for a car loan.
Most of your family live in Israel (parents & sister). Parents are offering to help by renting out an apartment for us in Israel for the first few years. Husband American, I was born Israeli but never worked in Israel and been living in the US for over 17 years! but of course I still speak hebrew.

I'm still leaning towards moving to Israel because if we move to a cheaper OOT community, there will always be the problem of yeshiva tuitions. Even if I work, I can't see how we could ever save with all the tuition money! Israel is a big move, and it will be stressful at first. I was just wondering if other people (with bad financial situation) decided to just leave the country and go to Israel to start a new life. To me, it's not as easy living in the US even if there are more opportunities. I also have a connection to Israel so it's not just for financial reasons.

tomboy

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:35 am
It's a big decision... Does your husband have an opinion on this?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:39 am
tomboy wrote:
It's a big decision... Does your husband have an opinion on this?

In the beginning he didn't want to go to Israel, but now he's slowly changing his mind and he'd go if I really want to go.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
In the beginning he didn't want to go to Israel, but now he's slowly changing his mind and he'd go if I really want to go.

That doesn't sound so good.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:18 am
Financially, on the plus side:
- You will have rent and tuition for free.
-Free healthcare

Financially, on the bad side:
- Your DH will have to find another job, and won't be pulling on US$73k. If you go through with this, make sure he has job prospects, otherwise you are in trouble, as he is the sole provider in your family.
- More expensive cost of living

Another plus: Family proximity.

Non-financial considerations:
-You need to explore this more carefully. Make sure you are both committed to this experiment, and you are in it together. Otherwise, there is the chance your DH might blame you if he is unhappy.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
That doesn't sound so good.

Well, I didn't expect him to be 100% with the idea because even though he understands and somewhat speaks hebrew, it will be a big adjustment for him with the language barrier and finding jobs, but that's what a lot of olim have to go through.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:30 pm
The problem is that he is the sole provider for the moment.
Do you have experience in any work field? Something which will guarantee that you will be able to find a job while your husband learns hebrew/prospects?
Can he start prospecting from now? For you too?

Life is really hard in Israel when you don't have money...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:11 pm
How flexible are both of you? You may have to consider thinking outside the box for jobs, until you find the right fit. Look at your skill sets, and see what you can bring to the table.

English tutoring, tutoring new Olim in Hebrew, cleaning houses, walking dogs, caring for the elderly, helping people run errands (like a DIY Uber type service). You can advertize on Facebook groups for your community, and on the N b'N Yahoo groups.

I know new olim who make a very good living by being willing to pick up odd jobs wherever they can find them. Pet sitters do very well if you have any references.

If your DH is handy, there are SO many jobs for basic carpentry, assembling Ikea furniture, simple electics and plumbing, etc. If he can build a succah he can make a lot of money in one week!

If DH is not handy, he can tutor anglo Yeshiva boys.

What type of work does DH do now? Do you have any work history or education that you could turn into income?

BabsB

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 7:18 am
I picked make aliyah, mostly because you mentioned you have a support system in Israel. That's a big deal.

But carefully figure out what you will do when you get there. Making sure you aren't just running FROM something but that you are running TO something.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:26 pm
As for working from home, have you looked into transcription? You could start in America and then continue after you make aliyah. If you start now, you'll be more experienced by the time you move here and will be earning a decent salary. The company I work for hires employees in America as independent contractors, but the Israeli employees are "employees" with full benefits. My job is the bulk of our income, like 90-95%.

There are a lot of work opportunities in English.

I think it's a good idea to take money out of the equation. Make a list of pros and cons that are not financially related of staying in the US versus making aliyah. See how the lists compare for all the other reasons. With your family here and their expressed interest in helping you, it seems like you and your husband will have time to work up to finding the employment. It doesn't seem like you need to let fear of not finding employment keep you from making aliyah, especially if you have enough other reasons to make aliyah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions