Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Mountain buggy duet vs city mini gt double

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:52 pm
looking into double carriages for two kids 18 months apart.
not sure to go with mountain buggy duet or the city mini gt double.

the city mini double looks more bulky than the mountain buggy. is it harder to push?
which one is easier to schlep up and down stairs?

it seems like many people have the mountain buggy but not too many people have the city mini. is there a valid reason for this, or is mountain buggy just nicer looking?

is the difference in price justifiable?

thanks

Tekky

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:00 pm
I've owned both, so trust me on this one-

The Duet is not great quality at all, however the only benefit that it has is that it is super narrow.

The City Mini GT Double is MUCH easier to push, MUCH easier to fold, MUCH easy to bring up the steps, but it is wider.

So you need to decide if you are willing to compromise on quality and functionality for the sake of it being so narrow.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:02 pm
how much wider is the city mini? considerably wider?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:15 pm
I compared these two strollers 3 years ago for kids with 18 month age gap. In the end I bought the mountain buggy because you can buy an adaptor for a maxi cosi which fits on top of the seat (or you can remove the seat). I found this very practical with a newborn as you can place the adaptor quite high and my 18 month old therefore wasn't able to touch the baby. I know putting a newborn in a car seat is not ideal, but I wasn't going out for long stretches and the practicality won out. Another consideration was the width, the mountain buggy is 12 cm narrower than the city mini and my kids are totally fine with narrow seats (even my 4 year old doesn't care). Often when I just about manage to fit in an elevator or other tight space I'm so grateful I went for this one! In terms of pushing I actually find it very easy. I have air wheels, which apparently don't exist anymore, but supposedly the new wheels push just as easily.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:30 pm
I think it's 2 inches wider.
I have the city mini gt and I love it.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:40 pm
is one of them easier and or sturdier to schlep up and down stairs?

Smile1234

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:42 pm
I have the gt double and love it. My kids are 2.5 years apart and my 2.5 year old would not have fit in the narrow mountain buggy seat comfortably, especially with a coat - winter was the first season we used it.
Also, I think the gt is better for older kids in general, so if you are looking forward a bit, when you have a 3.5 and a 2 yo depending how big they are it may be more comfortable for them to be in the gt.

My now 4yo who is quite tall for his age still fits comfortably height-wise in the gt. (He slimmed out so the width wouldn't be an issue in the mountain buggy now either probably...)

agreer

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:

it seems like many people have the mountain buggy but not too many people have the city mini. is there a valid reason for this, or is mountain buggy just nicer looking?

I don't know where you live. I live OOT and it seems that everyone has the city mini and loves it.

tymama

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 3:57 pm
I have the city mini GT and love it for my kids 19 months apart. Folds great, easy to push and has an adapter for the maxi cosy car seat.
The saleswoman tried selling me the mountain buggy but couldn't justify the money for 2 inches

Tekky

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 6:57 pm
You will find that many (I think I can say most) people in EY and Boro Park have the Duet for the simple reason that they use the stroller on a daily basis, shopping in stores. It's a lot easier to use a double in a store when it fits through a doorway:)

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 7:50 pm
Whereas in the suburbs everyone has the city mini double. Never had a problem fitting it through a standard door.

iluvy

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 8:11 pm
I have the Duet because it is narrower. Those two inches mean a LOT when you primarily use it for shopping. I bounce it up and down short flights of stairs all the time without issues.

The main downside of the Duet is that it is barely smaller when you fold it up. We never take it in the car for that reason, and it takes up a lot of room in our apartment. It would be a nightmare on the subway.

das

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 9:21 pm
Smile1234 wrote:
I have the gt double and love it. My kids are 2.5 years apart and my 2.5 year old would not have fit in the narrow mountain buggy seat comfortably, especially with a coat - winter was the first season we used it.
Also, I think the gt is better for older kids in general, so if you are looking forward a bit, when you have a 3.5 and a 2 yo depending how big they are it may be more comfortable for them to be in the gt.

My now 4yo who is quite tall for his age still fits comfortably height-wise in the gt. (He slimmed out so the width wouldn't be an issue in the mountain buggy now either probably...)

My then 4 year old still sat very comfortably in the duet. And my then 6 year old sometimes took a ride. He was of average weight and width.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:26 pm
Baby Jogger has better customer service than Mountain Buggy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics