Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Meds every day?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:44 pm
Do you give your child with ADHD their medications every single day, or take breaks on weekends, chagim, school vacations? I'll ask our prescribing doctor for info too, but also wanted to hear your experiences.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:41 am
I have a few adhd children

some I give even on shabbos and some I skip shabbos and vacation

it depends on the child. if the meds is only needed for school then skip it.
for one dd the first shabbos I decided not to give her she ended up needing stiches and I saw it was wrong

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:22 am
Shabbos I finally benefit from his improved behavior. Without his meds, everyone around him is crying within minutes.

I would say it depends on your goals. Mine were primarily social and emotional. I didn't want my child to become hated, feared, and ostracized because of his behavior. He is getting therapy too and has made major strides in many areas bh.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:13 am
Yes. Every single day.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:15 am
When we try new meds I give it on shabbos once or twice to see the effect otherwise we skip none school days. We give it mostly for help in staying focused during class. It doesn't help with her impolsivness and outbursts enough to warrant giving it every day.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:34 am
I have ADD, and I only take as needed. Adderall works miracles for me, but over time it triggers anxiety and mania, so I have to be careful. I take the smallest possible dose, and only when I REALLY need to focus. Mainly when I have Ulpan (Hebrew) classes.

Otherwise, I'm just a scatterbrain, but I learn to cope by making lists, talking to myself (put milk back in the fridge!), and other techniques.

As others have said, you know your kids best. Do what works for each child, and for your family as a whole.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:56 am
I have 3 kids with adhd. One who responded best to strattera, which needs to be taken every day, and two on Adderall. Of the two on adderall, one needs it every day, and the other can and does take breaks on days she doesn't need it.

For days without medication, the tools FF mentioned are vital. And in general, therapy helps.

Before fixing on powerful medication, I tried every other option I could find -- nutrition, oils, neurofeedback, exercise -- but while each had some minor benefit, none were truly effective.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)