Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
McCain Questioning of Comey

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:25 pm
Question for right-wingers, mostly.

Did you think that McCain seemed ... confused? I understand what point he thinks he was trying to make, but to me, I thought he didn't seem to grasp the facts as presented by Comey, and was conflating the investigation into Clinton's emails with the completely separate investigation into Russian interference in the election.

Whatever I've thought of his politics, I never found McCain to be ... I'll use the term confused here.

But I'm going to admit for the possibility that my politics colored by view of it. So I'm asking right-wingers if they had the same reaction to McCain.

And IMNSHO, I hope that politics don't get in the way of helping him, if he needs help.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:28 pm
I've always admired McCain.

It's possible he's getting on in years and should consider retiring. Don't see what that has to do with politics.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:35 pm
sequoia wrote:
I've always admired McCain.

It's possible he's getting on in years and should consider retiring. Don't see what that has to do with politics.

You see it in the entertainment industry all the time. Entertainers need help, for whatever reason, but the people who should love and care for them are more interested in making sure they keep the gravy train rolling on in than in making sure that their loved one is actually OK. Think Lindsay Lohan, or Amanda Bynes. In this case, McCain is a powerful Republican. If he needs help -- and I don't know if he does -- I hope that he is more important as a person than keeping a powerful Republican where he is.

Anyway, did you watch his questioning of Comey? What did you think?

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:43 pm
Yes, I watched.

I don't know, I can't diagnose him online. There could be many reasons for a person being confused, from lack of sleep and low blood sugar to Alzheimers. No need to jump to conclusions.

He was so lovely at my graduation, and those arrogant 21-year-old jerks were so nasty to him.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:52 pm
I would think that his party gave him his marching orders on what he was to address when he questioned Comey. His argument doesn't fly, but if you consider he is an agenda driven politician his line of questioning and inference all make sense.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:48 pm
You don't have to affiliate as right or left to recognize that McCain's questions were odd! He even said President Comey instead of President Trump. It was awkward.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:49 pm
McCain isn't exactly beloved on the right and he's one of the only ones who has ever stood up to trump, however tepidly. I don't expect the right to defend him too vigorously. If he is, so to speak, declining, that is a real blow for America.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:56 pm
Jeanette wrote:
McCain isn't exactly beloved on the right and he's one of the only ones who has ever stood up to trump, however tepidly. I don't expect the right to defend him too vigorously. If he is, so to speak, declining, that is a real blow for America.

There hasn't been too much love lost recently, with McCain IIRC backpedaling on immigration. And apparently the questioning was somewhat incoherent so as far as the right defending him, kal v'chomer.
I hope he's not declining in that way. That would be sad. Rep. or Dem., he is a genuine hero.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:39 pm
I'm extremely liberal, but this was my response. I watch the news all the time and, even though I'm not hugely fond of him, find him always very sharp. I'm thinking it might have been a reaction to some medication (maybe something new his doctor just started him on) or some sort of blood sugar issue or something. It's not like I've seen any kind of deterioration in the recent past and he's interviewed on the news constantly, and always seems on his game. Not like today.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics