Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names I like vs. family names

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:17 pm
I'm into names and there are certain names I think are very nice-sounding and/or have great meanings. I have a few favorite names I'd love to use but now that I'm actually expecting I feel more of a pull to name after family members who have passed. I want my children to have beautiful names but I also want their names to be rooted in family history and have meaning in that way. I know we could split it up (first and middle) and name one name after family and one name that we like. My husband prefers family names because names we "just like" are "too random" to him. I'm scared of giving a name that I regret, either because I passed up a chance to name for a loved relative, or because I gave up on a name I really like. What would you do?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:44 pm
I think naming for family is ideal If it's a close relative (grand parent. Not great aunt for example) and only if not already named for.

salt

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:29 am
Don't worry about being disappointed. Usually the name you'll choose in the end, will just grow with the child, and will grow on you.
It's not like you only like 'random' names, and you have to name for family. Or the other way, you'd like to name for family, but for some reason have to give a different name.

You see the positive side in both. So be"H you'll be happy either way.

And, iy"h you'll have more kids. You don't need to follow the same rule for all your kids.

I have :
1 kids named after their great grandparents - exactly the same name.
3 kids with variations of family names, to make them a little more palatable/modern.
1 kid with a double name - first name we chose, followed by name of a great grandparent.
2 kids with 'stam' names we chose.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:58 am
You can do both.
I know many Ilana Chaya Mushka or whatever else.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 4:40 pm
We give a first name that we like and a middle name that was the relative's name. But for the name that we like, pick a name that we like the meaning of that relates to the person who we are naming after.

For example, if it was after Aunt Leah who was full of life - Chaya Leah.

Or Grandma Sara who knew how to light up a room - Ora Sara.

Or after Great-Aunt Tova who was calm in rough times - Shalva Tova.

Or after Grandma Rachel who was a teacher - Moriah Rachel.

Or after Aunt Miriam who was always happy - Rina Miriam.

Or after Great-Grandma Rivka who was 'firmly rooted' in her beliefs, like a tree - Ilana Rivka.

You get the idea. And we've stretched it pretty far too, but I really do feel like we honored the person well and used the names that were meaningful for us.

iluvy

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 10:07 pm
Each of our children has one name that is in memory of a relative, and one that expresses how much we love them. Each time I call them by their full names I feel like I am telling a story about where they come from and what they bring into our lives. They love to hear about the meanings of their names, and whenever e.g. my grandmother tells them stories from when she was little, I make sure to point out when relevant, "This is who you were named after." It is very meaningful to us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names