Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14mo doesn't sleep well out of his own crib - help!

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:56 pm
My 14 month old sleeps beautifully in his crib but not anywhere else.

Over Pesach, we went to my mother and he got up at 4:30 every day and refused to nap there.

IY"H I'm having a baby and I want to move into my mother so she can help me, but I'm so nervous that my 14mo will wake up super early every day. I don't to permanently ruin his good sleep at home....

Any advice/tips/suggestions?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 4:03 pm
I hear the problem, here are some ideas. I suggest you implement now so they will be part of the routine.

Set bedtime that is exact to the minute (or 3) almost every day - Shabbos can be harder, of course.
Play gentle music - we like Baruch Levine for bedtime, starting after pajamas. Follow by cuddling in pjs for two minutes before putting to bed. Keep music playing until well asleep, overnight if it is possible and practical where you live.
When toddler wakes up in the middle of the night, wait two minutes. Don't go to crib without a drink in case needed, try tucking in first, giving pacifier/whatever kid uses, offering drink and cuddling a few minutes if needed. Do not hold for too long, allow child to cry if needed for up to 10 minutes before trying again. My doctor says to even let the kid throw up from crying to teach them a lesson, I wouldn't go that far. I like to keep music playing so you don't have to restart when kid wakes up, but not always possible.
Get kid used to pack n play, or whatever sleeping in while away. Maybe once a week let the kid use it in a different area of the home so change becomes ok.
Visit your mother and let the kid nap in same pack n play to get used to it.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:40 pm
I had this with my oldest and it was really difficult bc we didnt leave near family, so whenever we came in, we basically didnt sleep.

she grew out of it at about 2-2.5

I suggest you bring her linen, start giving her a special pillow or blankey if she doesnt have one yet and bring those along with you to your mother..
also, depending on how long you will stay by your mother, im sure your child will eventually be ok, it will just be very challenging with a newborn.

good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics