Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Satisfying requirements for NYS professional teacher's Cert.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 4:58 pm
HI,
I'm a NYS certified teacher who's worked in education for many years. My current job doesn't actually require me to be a licensed teacher. I just realized that my teacher's certificate was last issued in Sept. 2011 and I need 175 hours of professional development every five years to maintain it. Is it still valid? Is it too late to do the 175 hours? What do I need to do now? Thank you!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 6:34 pm
bump

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
HI,
I'm a NYS certified teacher who's worked in education for many years. My current job doesn't actually require me to be a licensed teacher. I just realized that my teacher's certificate was last issued in Sept. 2011 and I need 175 hours of professional development every five years to maintain it. Is it still valid? Is it too late to do the 175 hours? What do I need to do now? Thank you!

This whole thing of 175 hours just started recently, I believe--I think this past year. You were supposed to register on your TEACH account on your birthday, and you have to complete the 175 hours within 5 years of then. You should still be good, but don't take my word for it... You can call the DOE's HR department to find out for sure.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 7:54 pm
Apparently you only need the hours if you work in a public school. Pretty illogical to me because I think every teacher should have at least some continuing ed requirement, but it's convenient anyway... But you still need to register on TEACH, which you probably can still do. When you register you put your status as "inactive" because you're not working in PS currently.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:06 pm
seeker wrote:
Apparently you only need the hours if you work in a public school. Pretty illogical to me because I think every teacher should have at least some continuing ed requirement, but it's convenient anyway... But you still need to register on TEACH, which you probably can still do. When you register you put your status as "inactive" because you're not working in PS currently.

Ok, I need some clarification please. I had registered on TEACH when I first got my license and number of years back. I started putting in some of my continuing education credits, tho I was nowhere near the amount I needed for the 5 years (half of 175 because I didn't work in public school). And then in the beginning of this year they changed the system and I still don't understand it. Was I supposed to register again? Or change anything in my registration? And do I really not have to do any continuing education anymore according to them? If I do headstart, or p3 or title 1, is all that considered not PS?

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:08 pm
You might need to register again. They changed stuff. And you will need to set your status as inactive. If there's anything you're not sure about, you should try to get in touch with NYSED directly to find out. I know that's a PITA but this is the kind of thing they should be able to clarify for you without too much trouble.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:19 pm
seeker wrote:
You might need to register again. They changed stuff. And you will need to set your status as inactive. If there's anything you're not sure about, you should try to get in touch with NYSED directly to find out. I know that's a PITA but this is the kind of thing they should be able to clarify for you without too much trouble.

Thanks. I logged into my account and it said you are not registered. Either register if you work for public school or select inactive. I selected inactive. Now I don't have to do anything anymore and my license will stay up to date just like that?

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:48 pm
Yup! Like I said, it makes no sense to me but the story has stayed consistent no matter who I heard from, so I guess that's it.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:51 pm
Inspiring to see what rigorous standards our teachers are held to... and before anyone goes huffy on me, I am one. I am a certified teacher, working in licensed but non-public-school positions, including several contracts with the dept of ed, who does not have any external governing board requiring me to maintain continuing professional education. And even though this makes my life easier, I think it's a travesty. 175 hours is a lot but NOTHING is, well, nothing.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:56 pm
seeker wrote:
Inspiring to see what rigorous standards our teachers are held to... and before anyone goes huffy on me, I am one. I am a certified teacher, working in licensed but non-public-school positions, including several contracts with the dept of ed, who does not have any external governing board requiring me to maintain continuing professional education. And even though this makes my life easier, I think it's a travesty. 175 hours is a lot but NOTHING is, well, nothing.

I totally agree. Before professional certificate, they had permanent certificate and that did not require any further education. I thought they improved on that by making the professional certificate that needed renewing every 5 years. Now the professional is basically the same as the permanent.
And anyway, you didn't need to have 175 hours if you didn't work for the public school. It was drastically reduced to a reasonable amount. Nothing is a little crazy

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:26 am
Thank you so much! I'm so relieved!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics