Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 month old food schedule

behappy2

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:26 am
My baby likes to eat all day. I would like her to be eating at regular times so that I can anticipate when she will be hungry and have a healthy meal ready. She naps every day from 10:30/11:00 for 1 1/2-2 hours. She wakes at around 5:30. She nurses at 6:00 am and right before bed. (7:30)

At what times should she be eating breakfast lunch and supper.

When should she be having snacks and what is a normal portion size for snack.

As an aside she used to wake every night during the night. I started giving her snack before bed and trying to make sure she is hungry for supper and it seems to help half the time. I am hoping if she is eating normally that she will wake up after 6:00 and stop waking during the night.

Thanks in advance.

agreer

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:31 am
I'm also super curious... I have a 14-mo old who snacks all day and eats tiny portions in his high chair... he doesn't sit for too long.

devorah1231

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:05 pm
Can you post exact schedule of sleeping/nursing? I'm a little confused about it. Start from wake up in the am.

esther11

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:16 pm
I can tell you what we do, don't know if it's correct but it works for us!

7am wake up and bottle
7:30 breakfast (1-2 scrambled eggs, a small yogurt, veggie burger, or cottage cheese)
9:30-10:45 nap
11 snack (bamba, veggie straws, or fruit)
12:30 lunch (cream cheese sandwich, pizza, yogurt/eggs)
1:15-2 nap
3:00 snack
5:00 supper (whatever we are having)
6:00 bottle
6:30 bedtime

(ETA bedtime)

agreer

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 4:22 pm
esther11 wrote:
I can tell you what we do, don't know if it's correct but it works for us!

7am wake up and bottle
7:30 breakfast (1-2 scrambled eggs, a small yogurt, veggie burger, or cottage cheese)
9:30-10:45 nap
11 snack (bamba, veggie straws, or fruit)
12:30 lunch (cream cheese sandwich, pizza, yogurt/eggs)
1:15-2 nap
3:00 snack
5:00 supper (whatever we are having)
6:00 bottle
6:30 bedtime

(ETA bedtime)

Does your baby sit in the high chair for all meals and snacks?

How long do meals take?

behappy2

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 5:56 pm
5:30 wake up
6:00 nurse
7:00 egg and half banana
9:30 rest of banana (used to give whole)
10:30/11:00 nap for 2 hours or less
1:00 sweet potato and fruit
2:30 some cereal
5:00 supper
6:30 snack
7:30 nurse to sleep

She is still waking up early and seeming to want to eat so I started giving her evening snack which helped but she still wakes at 5:30 hungry so am I giving her too many snacks or too much food in the am that she is not hungry at night. Her supper is the same size as breakfast maybe less.

esther11

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:15 pm
agreer wrote:
Does your baby sit in the high chair for all meals and snacks?

How long do meals take?

She's in the high chair for all meals and I try for snacks but don't always bother. She definitely eats better when I do put her in though!

Meals usually take like 10-20 minutes depending on her patience level. She happens to be a good eater BH so it really helps!

lucky14

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 8:21 pm
mine's 17 months, but he's been on pretty much the same eating "schedule" the past few months:

6:00 wake up, eat breakfast (like 2 cups of cereal and whole milk. I really should prob. change up breakfast but he likes to eat RIGHT away so I'd have to prepare it the night before, and I'm a big cereal eater so we always end up eating cereal. he eats way more than he prob "should". he eats a lot. I tried adding in a cheese or fruit but he still wanted just as much cereal).

when he was 14 months he usually took a nap around 8:30-9:30

around 10am- snack (string cheese usually. sometimes cheese & rice cakes or animal crackers).

12:30ish- lunch. he eats a lot each meal.

4:00ish - wakes up from nap and has a cup of milk. sometimes wants something else, so I"ll give him a banana or crackers.

6:00-6:30ish- dinner

goes to sleep around 8 now, but he may have been going to sleep a little earlier when he was 14months.

Meals and snacks are eaten sitting down. In his highchair or at the table (booster seat) or we sometimes do picnics at the park. snacks are either in highchair or table or sometimes on our porch or a bench outside if we're out. But I try to do snacks sitting down and not just eating on the move.

every kid is different though. what happens if you don't give her so many snacks? does she ask for more?
was the sweet potato and fruit from the sample "menu" you gave lunch? maybe try giving afternoon snack a little later and then doing dinner a little later as well? see if maybe she eats a bit more at dinner? from what you wrote it doesn't seem like you're giving too much food in the morning.

behappy2

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:02 am
lucky14 wrote:
mine's 17 months, but he's been on pretty much the same eating "schedule" the past few months:

6:00 wake up, eat breakfast (like 2 cups of cereal and whole milk. I really should prob. change up breakfast but he likes to eat RIGHT away so I'd have to prepare it the night before, and I'm a big cereal eater so we always end up eating cereal. he eats way more than he prob "should". he eats a lot. I tried adding in a cheese or fruit but he still wanted just as much cereal).

when he was 14 months he usually took a nap around 8:30-9:30

around 10am- snack (string cheese usually. sometimes cheese & rice cakes or animal crackers).

12:30ish- lunch. he eats a lot each meal.

4:00ish - wakes up from nap and has a cup of milk. sometimes wants something else, so I"ll give him a banana or crackers.

6:00-6:30ish- dinner

goes to sleep around 8 now, but he may have been going to sleep a little earlier when he was 14months.

Meals and snacks are eaten sitting down. In his highchair or at the table (booster seat) or we sometimes do picnics at the park. snacks are either in highchair or table or sometimes on our porch or a bench outside if we're out. But I try to do snacks sitting down and not just eating on the move.

every kid is different though. what happens if you don't give her so many snacks? does she ask for more?
was the sweet potato and fruit from the sample "menu" you gave lunch? maybe try giving afternoon snack a little later and then doing dinner a little later as well? see if maybe she eats a bit more at dinner? from what you wrote it doesn't seem like you're giving too much food in the morning.

So your baby wakes up starving too it seems.

I am starting to think that at this point she is not waking up at 5:20 from hunger anymore but from habit. She wakes up within a five minute range.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 4:19 am
Does she eat when you eat? When you eat, sit at the table and give her some of everything that you are having. I find interactive eating way more successful.
You can give dinner leftovers for breakfast. They don't care so much at this age.

lucky14

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:55 pm
behappy2 wrote:
So your baby wakes up starving too it seems.

I am starting to think that at this point she is not waking up at 5:20 from hunger anymore but from habit. She wakes up within a five minute range.

Yeah I wake up wanting to eat breakfast right away and I usually eat a snack at around 10 every evening. My son goes around 11 hours between dinner and the next meal so I totally understand his wanting to eat right away.

It's possible she's waking from habit. You said in your original post that she wakes during the night- do you nurse her or give her a bottle during the night?

devorah1231

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:21 pm
behappy2 wrote:
My baby likes to eat all day. I would like her to be eating at regular times so that I can anticipate when she will be hungry and have a healthy meal ready. She naps every day from 10:30/11:00 for 1 1/2-2 hours. She wakes at around 5:30. She nurses at 6:00 am and right before bed. (7:30)

At what times should she be eating breakfast lunch and supper.

When should she be having snacks and what is a normal portion size for snack.

As an aside she used to wake every night during the night. I started giving her snack before bed and trying to make sure she is hungry for supper and it seems to help half the time. I am hoping if she is eating normally that she will wake up after 6:00 and stop waking during the night.

Thanks in advance.

I think you should try feeding your child normal adult style meals, regular food. I think it is more satisfying.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:30 pm
behappy2 wrote:
5:30 wake up
6:00 nurse
7:00 egg and half banana
9:30 rest of banana (used to give whole)
10:30/11:00 nap for 2 hours or less
1:00 sweet potato and fruit
2:30 some cereal
5:00 supper
6:30 snack
7:30 nurse to sleep

She is still waking up early and seeming to want to eat so I started giving her evening snack which helped but she still wakes at 5:30 hungry so am I giving her too many snacks or too much food in the am that she is not hungry at night. Her supper is the same size as breakfast maybe less.

What is she having for supper? At this age they should ideally be eating proper proteins (chicken, meatballs etc) and carbohydrates throughout the day (bread, potatoes, pasta, crackers), not just baby food.

(I should be one to talk Confused Says the mother of a skinny, fussy-eater 14-month old who I have to chase around all day in order to make sure that she eats.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics