Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why is Silk Soy Milk considered dairy...

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:04 am
....I thought it was vegan with no animal product. Anyone know why?

joy613

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:26 am
I didn't know it was considered dairy.
Are you talking about the maaras ayin issue of using it together with meat? Because that makes sense since it looks like real milk. Otherwise I never heard that is considered dairy.
But I don't use it so I don't really know.

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:29 am
I just pulled out the carton, and I see a circle-U followed by D.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:34 am
Find my similar post about rice milk, apparently the OU will give the OU-D to things that are made on dairy equipment, you can recheck ingrediants, contact the OU etc to make sure that there are no actual dairy componants

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:35 am
thanks. I'm gonna look for the post and call them.

poemmom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:38 am
there are lots of parve ones-- like Soy Dream. I have found the non-refrigerated boxes more likely to be parve, while many of the ones in the refrigerator section are D. maybe they process milk with those cartons?

elf123

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:43 am
Just yesterday I called the OU about Almond Breeze almond milk, which has an OU-D. I was told you shouldn't have it with meat, but it doesn't have dairy in it and can be eaten after meat. I would assume lots of things fall into this category.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 9:43 am
I emailed them about Almond Breeze this week also!!!! I was hoping that it was a mistake since till recently Almond Breeze was pareve.

The OU has a policy that they don't designate items as dairy equipment b/c they don't trust that people are smart enough to know the rules for DE, so they automatically put the dairy designation on anything that's dairy equipment.

poemmom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 9:50 am
I have found this frustrating because my dd is alergic to milk, and it seems like Everything is OU-d (especially natural brands of crackers and cookies)

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 9:52 am
DefyGravity wrote:
I emailed them about Almond Breeze this week also!!!! I was hoping that it was a mistake since till recently Almond Breeze was pareve.

The OU has a policy that they don't designate items as dairy equipment b/c they don't trust that people are smart enough to know the rules for DE, so they automatically put the dairy designation on anything that's dairy equipment.

that, and people who are makpid on cy will not eat it if is DE. But I agree it is a stupid policy. the people who don't know the kashrus rules regarding DE are probably not that strict on kashrus to begin with.

(come on, none of us know that you can't eat pasta cooked in a dairy pot with meat sauce? or if you eat the pasta plain you can still eat meat beforehand?)

I find it more annoying that here the kashrus authorities list as pareve food that is produced on dairy equipment. you have to call yourself if you want to be sure.

mltjm

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 2:24 pm
Many store brand soy milks in the refrigerated section are pareve. Stop and Shop, Acme and A&P all have pareve soy millk.

myfriends715

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 2:45 pm
Raisin wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

that, and people who are makpid on cy will not eat it if is DE. But I agree it is a stupid policy. the people who don't know the kashrus rules regarding DE are probably not that strict on kashrus to begin with.

(come on, none of us know that you can't eat pasta cooked in a dairy pot with meat sauce? or if you eat the pasta plain you can still eat meat beforehand?)

I find it more annoying that here the kashrus authorities list as pareve food that is produced on dairy equipment. you have to call yourself if you want to be sure.

actually we eat cy, but will eat DE. they way to check if s.t is really dairy is to check the back if it really has dairy it will be listed as an allergy warning. they are legally forced to do so

shnitzel

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 2:47 pm
poemmom wrote:
I have found this frustrating because my dd is alergic to milk, and it seems like Everything is OU-d (especially natural brands of crackers and cookies)

For allergy issues you can rely on the ingredient and "may contain" list, you don't have to follow the OU. My b-I-l has an anaphylactic allergy to milk and drinks silk soy milk & oreos - both of which are OU-D but do not have milk.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 12:20 am
all silk soy products are made on dairy equipment. not actually dairy.

ruth

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:03 am
[quote="Kumphort"]Find my similar post about rice milk, apparently the OU will give the OU-D to things that are made on dairy equipment, you can recheck ingrediants, contact the OU etc to make sure that there are no actual dairy componants[/quote]

yes, the OU states this clearly in their website (they do not offer a OU-DE heksher) they invite customers to email to find out if the product is actually dairy or is dairy equipment. I think once I thought something would have been OU-DE because nothing on the ingredient label indicated dairy, but the OU told it was indeed dairy. I think it was chips from Trader Joe's.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:57 am
elf123 wrote:
Just yesterday I called the OU about Almond Breeze almond milk, which has an OU-D. I was told you shouldn't have it with meat, but it doesn't have dairy in it and can be eaten after meat. I would assume lots of things fall into this category.

Huh? My kids drank this all Pesach, since they are allergic to milk and we found out their rice milk was chometz. It was definitely labeled pareve.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:06 pm
Silk, has had milk allergy issues in the past. If you want a really good soy milk, try zensoy, it's also in the refrigerator section and is way better then any other soy milk out there.

Bella:D

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 12:49 am
Oreos are also parve but are designated OU-D

SisterSix

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:57 pm
I know this is an old thread but I still don't understand this. How can silk soy milk be produced on dairy equipment? It says on the carton (actually this happens to be the almond milk) "contains almond. Produced in a facility that also processes other tree nuts and soy. Silk employs stringent allergen quality control procedures in all of our manufacturing facilities." Surely if they're so "stringent" they would mention if there's any dairy in the facility?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen