Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Best brand of Cholov Yisroel milk?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:49 am
Raisin wrote:
you can try getting smaller sizes of milk and storing in the freezer.

When I was little in London we would get daily milk deliveries. I don't know why that is not a thing anymore...maybe milk companies got better with putting preservatives in the milk.

The chalav yisrael milk I get now lasts for at least a week but its not from NY.

We used to buy 2 small bottles instead of 1 large because the milk that was kept closed stayed fresher until we needed it later in the week. But for the last couple of months the smaller ones spoil quicker! (I guess that's consistent with what cnc said about the bottles being left outside and the smaller bottles would get warm quicker). So we were buying large bottles. But even those no longer arrive home usable.
We do not like frozen milk. The nutrients break down.
And if the milk comes home already unusable, I don't think freezing at that point would help with freshness anyway. Sad The situation is that bad.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
We used to buy 2 small bottles instead of 1 large because the milk that was kept closed stayed fresher until we needed it later in the week. But for the last couple of months the smaller ones spoil quicker! (I guess that's consistent with what cnc said about the bottles being left outside and the smaller bottles would get warm quicker). So we were buying large bottles. But even those no longer arrive home usable.
We do not like frozen milk. The nutrients break down.
And if the milk comes home already unusable, I don't think freezing at that point would help with freshness anyway. Sad The situation is that bad.

Yes, strangely enough the smaller bottles spoil much more quickly. I didn't realize that's the reason!

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 11:00 am
I wish the Chalav Yisrael milk companies would get it figured out...

It makes me even more frustrated cuz like 50 percent of my neighbors do eat Chalav Stam and I see they have a much easier time with their milk... I guess it can't be that hard to keep the milk fresh... I just wonder, what are the Chalav Yisrael companies doing wrong?

I have heard good things about Dvash recently. It's not sold where I live though....

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 11:19 am
What CNC said makes sense. In my OOT community where the milk only gets delivered to a few places one of which is a 24 hour supermarket its easy to make sure the milk is delivered at a time were it can be taken inside immediately and stored properly. I have never had these problems with the milk here.

zigi

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 12:11 pm
golden flow

Pinky

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 4:04 pm
Interesting I find golden flow lasting longest, using it for yrs

LuckyMum

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:23 pm
I find that dvash stays fresh a lot longer than golden flow.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:26 pm
mha3484 wrote:
What CNC said makes sense. In my OOT community where the milk only gets delivered to a few places one of which is a 24 hour supermarket its easy to make sure the milk is delivered at a time were it can be taken inside immediately and stored properly. I have never had these problems with the milk here.

I believe that you are in an are which get's the Lamer's Cholov Yisroel milk produced in Wisconsin marketed in Chicago, throughout the midwest and elsewhere. There are several reasons it stays fresh so long:
1) It reaches the retailer within a few days of milking; in the NY/NJ area, it takes much longer for milk to get to the market.
2) It is from extremely healthy cows with a very low bacteria level. It recently one an award for one of the best quality milks in the US. The NY/NJ companies cannot compare to it.

Unfortunately, it is not available in NY/NJ, but is in many other places.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
With all of these, ymmv. I live in Baltimore and our only option is Pride of the Farm. It goes bad very quickly, and we are pretty close to the plant.

My friend who owns a kosher cheese company (with both cholov stammand yosroel options) told me that cy cheese and milk is pasturized at a higher temp, so its ph level is more easily messed with and more sensative to outside temperatures. I often have my half and half (pride of the farm) curdle in my coffee even though its a week away from date and smells fine. Pride of the farm told me this happens then the milk's ph is off, and they sent my money back when the store wouldnt refund me.

That's really odd. I'm also in Baltimore and my pride of the farm always last as long as any non cy milk. Only once a year sometimes have I had a problem with it.

The cy milk I would buy in NY would usually last a day or two, if even. Sometimes it was spoiled already from the store (many stores).

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:07 pm
I use only Golden Flow and haven't noticed any problem lately. Maybe it depends on which day of the week you buy it? I buy on Monday and it lasts until the next Sunday (by which time the milk is used up).

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
With all of these, ymmv. I live in Baltimore and our only option is Pride of the Farm. It goes bad very quickly, and we are pretty close to the plant.

My friend who owns a kosher cheese company (with both cholov stammand yosroel options) told me that cy cheese and milk is pasturized at a higher temp, so its ph level is more easily messed with and more sensative to outside temperatures. I often have my half and half (pride of the farm) curdle in my coffee even though its a week away from date and smells fine. Pride of the farm told me this happens then the milk's ph is off, and they sent my money back when the store wouldnt refund me.

Interesting because the chalav stam milk that lasts for weeks is organic and therefore ultra pasteurized.
There are so many variables!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I had this in the frost of winter too. And we have a good fridge at home. Sad
But I think the only way to get fresh milk (and bread) is at the small groceries but I don't have time for small runs during the week. It hasn't been fun. Sad

ETA: How many hours before the stores open? I'm going to start a boycott and write them a letter! Tongue Out

Why would small groceries' milk be fresher? I assumed a larger grocery with a higher turnover rate would have fresher milk.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:12 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Why would small groceries' milk be fresher? I assumed a larger grocery with a higher turnover rate would have fresher milk.

I find that the supermarkets have fresher everything except for milk and bread. They seem to have small daily deliveries and the supermarkets do not. In addition it could also be that they refrigerate the milk faster than the supermarkets do. Have you ever seen the pallets on dairy items waiting outside the big supermarkets?
Oh well, I don't get to the groceries as there's no time for little runs throughout the week. But at work we order milk from the grocery and even the golden flow stays fresh. (Wish I could take home a bottle but it's too heavy for my mad rush home.)
Other people I know who purchase at small groceries also have fresh milk.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:45 pm
we also only drink pride of the farm. There was a short time around the time of this past pesach that it kept going bad. The company recognized the problem and corrected it and it has been back to being good. It stays fresh the longest. I live in lakewood and by far this is the company that sells the best and most pple buy it.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 11:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I find that the supermarkets have fresher everything except for milk and bread. They seem to have small daily deliveries and the supermarkets do not. In addition it could also be that they refrigerate the milk faster than the supermarkets do. Have you ever seen the pallets on dairy items waiting outside the big supermarkets?
Oh well, I don't get to the groceries as there's no time for little runs throughout the week. But at work we order milk from the grocery and even the golden flow stays fresh. (Wish I could take home a bottle but it's too heavy for my mad rush home.)
Other people I know who purchase at small groceries also have fresh milk.

My experience has been the same as yours in groceries vs. supermarkets. I never realized why.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 11:27 pm
cnc wrote:
My experience has been the same as yours in groceries vs. supermarkets. I never realized why.

We seem to agree a lot cnc! Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen