Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Should I respond to apology?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 1:21 am
I had an incident in school last week where a student was very chutzpadik and rude to me. The matter was dealt with by senior staff but I have now found a card in my letterbox with an apology inside.

Should I respond at all? Say/write something to the student or just leave it? I won't be teaching her until next week. She is 12.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 1:53 am
Whenever someone apologizes in person/phone it's nice to say "Thank you for apologizing." It just acknowledges the apology. But if she left you a letter there isn't an easy way to do so. I would just leave it. If you truly feel you are mochel, greet her with a smile next time you see her.

Talya

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 2:27 am
Absolutely say something. How else will you encourage good behavior. It was probably hard for her to write the letter. It's the right thing to acknowledge it. Ignoring it would be obnoxious.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 3:41 am
Say something. Tell her how gracious and grown-up it was of her to apologize. She did something difficult, and it's right to acknowledge it.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 3:51 am
I agree. I still remember when a girl in my class apologized to one of our teachers and the teacher said to her 'That is very big of you.' It was such an unusual line but it stuck with me for over 20 years!

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 3:51 am
I absolutely agree that you should say something to her. Just pull her aside and whisper thank you for your note. At 12 years old, she is very sensitive and also formative. How else do you expect her to learn that she did the right thing if you ignore it? Being a teacher means that you have to do more than just teach what's in the book. This is your chance to teach her that she absolutely did the right thing and give her motivation to do it again in the future.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 3:59 am
She might also just wonder if you ever received the letter. Sometimes notes get lost or dropped. It will probably be reassuring for her to know it's been read - issue closed, phew.

Petra

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:21 pm
For a 12 yr old whom I'm sure is wondering and hoping that her sentiment was received, and is trying to do teshuvhah, acknowledge her efforts someway, somehow.

crust

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:35 pm
A 12 year old is a child. Please acknowledge it. And asap.
I'm thinking about my 12 year old. Would toss and turn the entire night, every night till this would be resolved. Would be unable to focus on the lesson till this is addressed.
It proves good middos in a mechanech. No lesson is as big as being humble yourself.
Hatzlucha!

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:12 pm
If you think it might be uncomfortable for her, you can write a note back to her so she doesn't need to look you in the face.

Other than that - what they said.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics