Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Life with new baby- when does it get normal?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 4:22 pm
I know life never 'returns' back to normal, but when do you think life settles and there is an established routine?

my baby is 4 weeks old Kih and I have a bunch of other kids bh and things are great...until the evenings.
starting from 6oclock on it is chaos, btwn homework, (simple)supper, baths (skimping on those these days) and the babys witching hour at that time im wondering when our evenings will not be insane?
my dh while helpful and supportive, I can see is having a hard time coming home to this each night...

im not surprised, nor am I overly stressed, im just wondering in your experience when things fall into place after you have a baby? especially the evening hours?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 4:44 pm
(immediate reaction - never)

(real reaction - I can't remember but you get used to it)

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 4:46 pm
when the baby gets past 'witching hour' - the rest of it will be your normal for many years.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:14 pm
I'd say another two months. Most babies turn a corner at that age

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:20 pm
When the baby starts going to sleep at a normal hour. And evening are always the most difficult time. If there was no homework everything would be fine. Homework is a killer.

esther36

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:43 pm
I say 3 mos for a good baby and a lot longer for a colicy one!

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 6:14 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
If there was no homework everything would be fine. Homework is a killer.

op here
right???
my dd first grade morah wrote a note home the day after I had the baby "your homework free for 2weeks- enjoy the new baby!" isnt that so nice??
although I cant decide whats harder homework or everyone off for 1.5 btwn school and camp.

gibberish

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 7:38 pm
I find that things generally get easier when baby is 3 to 4 months old.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
op here
right???
my dd first grade morah wrote a note home the day after I had the baby "your homework free for 2weeks- enjoy the new baby!" isnt that so nice??
although I cant decide whats harder homework or everyone off for 1.5 btwn school and camp.

Homework is much worse. I don't find the kids home to be to hard. I just make sure to be organized and plan activities and outings. Homework makes me want to jump off a bridge.

smss

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 7:50 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Homework is much worse. I don't find the kids home to be to hard. I just make sure to be organized and plan activities and outings. Homework makes me want to jump off a bridge.

Is it the getting them to sit down and do it, or do you have to do it with them?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 8:17 pm
Number child x month = semblance of order.

Normalcy...hope

strawberry cola

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:13 pm
make eating right and getting cleaning help a priority and keep taking those vitamins- it will help your energy and mood a lot!

lizard8

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:17 pm
Four months for me. Once my baby is on a schedule and I have my quiet evenings back, I feel normal again.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:18 pm
Yeah give it 3 months

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 1:34 am
I don't do my kids homework and no, it's not about homework... it's about sleep.

slushiemom

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 2:09 am
At 3 months you'll settle into a routine. I only felt like I was "myself" again when my youngest turned 3, and my days and body belonged to me again.

ETA- regarding homework. I ignore that it exists. I went through school and did my homework, there's no way in he!l I'm doing 12 years of homework x 3 kids again.

The truth is the school my boys go to give very little homework, and next year I'm moving my only kid who has a tough time with homework to a new school that doesn't give ANY and doesn't have traditional tests either.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 2:39 am
I'd say around 3-4 months, when you can place the baby in a rocker and when (s)he has a more predictable schedule.

Here's my typical schedule that I aim to follow from when the baby's a newborn:
my older kids are out in the mornings. I do not work in the morning, so that's when I take out my baby in the stroller. The walk/exercise (even if it's only for a short time) and fresh air gives me a lot of strength and relaxation. I do the errands that need to be done - grocery shopping, dry cleaners, bank, laundry, etc.
Then I come home, nurse or feed baby as needed, and cook lunch (I make simple, quick parve things for lunch like macaroni with cheese or eggs, baked zitti, lentil stew, grilled cheese, etc.) then I sit down and eat a healthy lunch that I enjoy. This is CRUCIAL, in my opinion. It really gives me strength for the rest of the day.
Then pick up time - I get my older kids from school (or husband or friend picks them up, depending on the day/situation)
once they come home they eat. During that time I try to do dishes or just relax a bit.
Then we have quiet times - whoever wants to nap goes to nap. Whoever does not needs to read a book (or I read them a book) or play with toys quietly.
After that "relaxing time" it is hw time. Coloring time for the younger kids who don't have hw. Baby is placed on swing or rocker. If baby is fussy, I rock the rocker with my foot (assuming baby already ate and was burped and has nothing specific bothering him). I also bring the rocker into the kitchen while I cook dinner.

After that the kids have a snack. Depending on the weather, we'll either go to the park or out to the balcony/hallway (I live in Israel where this is commonly done) to play. Very important that kids get some physical activity. If it's too hot or cold out, then I put on music and have them dance and jump around a bit.

Then bath time. Pjamas. Dinner. Story time, brush teeth

good night!!! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics