Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary like MMY or midreshet in USA
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 12:11 am
amother wrote:
You're right, I was just explaining the phenomenon.
I cannot imagine that there are enough girls like op's daughter to warrant opening​ a non-yeshivish seminary in the US.

You're probably right. Especially since I'm realizing you were also right about the Israel thing in the first place - this demographic is less likely to endorse a "gap year" unless it comes with some other reason, like connecting with Israel or volunteerism/internship somewhere.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
What about boys? Is there a place in the US (preferably east coast) where a boy who is a solid learner but not yeshivish could learn kodesh for a gap year before attending a secular university. Instead of Mevaseret or a hesder yeshiva like Shaalvim in Israel, somewhere in the US?

You may want to check out The Yeshiva Gedolah of The yeshiva of Greater Washington in Silver Spring MD.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:29 pm
op here- some background info- dd is finishing her HS course work a year early. She wants to go to Israel with her peer group- so she will have a gap year before the gap year- but she wants to focus on Torah study, don't think she will be ready to go to Israel early and don't see her being ready for the stress of college.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:32 pm
eema1 wrote:
op here- some background info- dd is finishing her HS course work a year early. She wants to go to Israel with her peer group- so she will have a gap year before the gap year- but she wants to focus on Torah study, don't think she will be ready to go to Israel early and don't see her being ready for the stress of college.

Hmmm. Interesting dilemma.
Why is she finishing her HS early if she isn't ready for college, isn't ready for Israel, and wants to stay with her peer group? Most people finish HS early because they want to go straight to the next thing, or because they want to shake off their peer group, or both.

OK that was a nosy impertinent question.

Miri7

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:50 pm
If you live in the NY area, perhaps you could put something together for her? It would be great if she found a chevruta and then could get one of the women learning/teaching at Drisha or another institution to give shiurim, etc. and direct their studies.

Perhaps she could learn in their beit midrash and then also have some formal learning time...

Just an idea since it sounds like the program you are looking for doesn't exist. You may want to think creatively about what resources you could put together to make a great year for your daughter.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:37 pm
Maybe you should reconsider the possibility of just doing the year in Israel early. Kids a year older are still a peer group. Kids split up for seminary, many don't arrive with previous friends, and everyone makes a lot of new friends. There are schools in Europe and elsewhere (IIRC) that end high school a year younger than USA (where the majority of sem kids are coming from) and many just go straight to seminary and nobody thinks twice about it.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:39 pm
seeker wrote:
Why is she finishing her HS early if she isn't ready for college, isn't ready for Israel, and wants to stay with her peer group? Most people finish HS early because they want to go straight to the next thing, or because they want to shake off their peer group, or both.

I agree. What makes sense to me is starting college early and then going to Israel with her friends, if she wants to graduate early.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:42 pm
seeker wrote:

Not nosey- we live OOT and she has been doing schooling online and will be finished her coursework to get a diploma at the end of 2018. She has made lots of friends in camp over the summers and keeps in touch with them throughout the year- hence wanting to spend the gap year in Israel with them.
Which leaves us with what to do next year. She loves learning Tanach etc. and wants to learn it at a deeper level and adding more recent commentaries and f course have more social interactive opportunities as well.scape here as well.
Hope that clears it up.
I looked at Ateres nava website and that may be a good option- will have to call them.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 12:52 am
eema1 wrote:
Not nosey- we live OOT and she has been doing schooling online and will be finished her coursework to get a diploma at the end of 2018. She has made lots of friends in camp over the summers and keeps in touch with them throughout the year- hence wanting to spend the gap year in Israel with them.
Which leaves us with what to do next year. She loves learning Tanach etc. and wants to learn it at a deeper level and adding more recent commentaries and f course have more social interactive opportunities as well.scape here as well.
Hope that clears it up.
I looked at Ateres nava website and that may be a good option- will have to call them.

So go to Stern for a year, taking as light a schedule as possible, and then spend sophomore year in Israel with her friends.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 7:40 am
She could go to Stern for a year and do only kodesh classes.

I will say though that she will be 2 years younger than the majority of the girls and (when I went there for a year right after high school) many of the girls can be snobby about mixing with freshman. What about her taking some classes at a local community college and getting a job?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics