Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Am I nuts to move? (flatbush to 5towns)

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 7:16 am
I currently live in Flatbush and work in the WallStreet area. I work 10-5 and the commute is 50 minutes door to door. Dh is home every day by 330 so he gets the kids from the bus stop. I prepare the supper the night before. All he has to do is stick it in the oven and cut up vegetables. Flatbush is kind of out of our price range and I want more space. I am thinking of moving to the 5towns area. Dh job is closer to 5towns than to brooklyn. My commute will then be 1.5 hours. Is it common thing for 5twons moms to shlep to the city or not really? I am 30 with 3 kids and would like to IYH have a few more. Am I biting off more than I can chew......

jflower

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:00 am
BK (before kids) I had a 1.5 hour commute each way. I came home half dead and definitely don't recommend it. I was about 30 years old then and was too tired to do anything when I got home. I drove and you will probably rely on public transportation (the railroad into nyc and then the subway) which might be a tad easier than driving but it'll still be tough.

Good luck whatever you decide.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:06 am
Lirr commute is easier on you than subway/bus but you will need subway transfer for Wall Street... So the 1.5 hr commute won't be the same mentally as double your current commute. But still long and not easy. No easy answers.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:08 am
Is the 5 towns really cheaper than Brooklyn?

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
Is the 5 towns really cheaper than Brooklyn?

You can definitely find for cheaper than Brooklyn (600k range) in the more up and coming areas. In Brooklyn for 800 you can get yourself an attached 3 bedroom house that probably needs some work and no land. The same 800k will take you a lot further in the five towns/far rockaway.

cm

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:24 am
Is it possible to work from home several days a week? Or perhaps find a job closer to where you want to live? (I know that may be easier said than done).

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:32 am
cm wrote:
Is it possible to work from home several days a week? Or perhaps find a job closer to where you want to live? (I know that may be easier said than done).

nope. im lucky enough to "only" work 10-5 monday thru Thursday. Im off Friday. I am very happy with my office and my job and there are a lot of benefits from the company that work well for me that I would like to keep my job yet I really want to move to a house with a yard and parking........

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:39 am
Can you rent with option to buy in 5towns.
See how it goes for a year then purchase a home.
I know someone did that when they made the move to Brooklyn from NYC.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating