Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is this normal?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:04 pm
To clean up in anticipation of the cleaning lady? I know growing up that if you want to know where it is to make sure you put it away b4 she comes, but my DH is panicking b/c our house is a "train wreck" when the cleaning help comes. Is this normal? Or is that why we have her coming in the first place?

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:14 pm
It depends.
If you want her to spend the bulk of her time cleaning up the mess, no need to clean. But if you want her to have time to do other tasks, or if you want to know for certain that your things are out in the right place, then you should clean up first.

cm

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:15 pm
It is normal to put things away so she can clean. That is, if you have hired her to clean the countertops, they must be accessable and not covered with clutter.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
To clean up in anticipation of the cleaning lady? I know growing up that if you want to know where it is to make sure you put it away b4 she comes, but my DH is panicking b/c our house is a "train wreck" when the cleaning help comes. Is this normal? Or is that why we have her coming in the first place?

I organize and make sure things are in place beforehand. It's an investment of my time because I need her spend her time cleaning and having things in the way will result in subpar service.
Either too much time will be spent organizing, a pile of unknown items will be left in corners, or items will be put away in the wrong place and I won't find them when I need them.
I don't make myself crazy about straightforward things that are quick and simple to figure out like a box of toys spilled out near the closet with toys or bottles of beverages from the delivery set near the closet and waiting to be put in.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:22 pm
Ok and in this case, I'm expecting, my kochos are limited, I dont mind mopping but its hard for me to be constantly bending down to pick up stuff, and folding laundry isnt' my strong point, I would rather her do that so that I/my kids can sweep and mop.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
Ok and in this case, I'm expecting, my kochos are limited, I dont mind mopping but its hard for me to be constantly bending down to pick up stuff, and folding laundry isnt' my strong point, I would rather her do that so that I/my kids can sweep and mop.

Well then, there's your answer!

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:39 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Well then, there's your answer!

Thanks, I guess I needed some validation.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 5:27 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
It depends.
If you want her to spend the bulk of her time cleaning up the mess, no need to clean. But if you want her to have time to do other tasks, or if you want to know for certain that your things are out in the right place, then you should clean up first.

Lol. My cleaning lady is the one who decides where everything goes. So where she puts It IS the right place. She told me that her husband asked her why I'm always texting her to ask her where stuff is๐Ÿ˜‚

essie14

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 3:20 pm
My cleaning lady can't know where I like to keep things so I try to put everything away before she comes if I want to know where it is later. When I forget I spend a lot of time looking for things later. I also try to do easy things so she doesn't have to waste time doing those tasks.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:

I would just let her know my expectations then for what you want her to do.

Jstar

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 11:42 pm
100% normal. The more times a cleaning lady comes per week is proportional to how much you DONT have to put away, because then you could train her where everything goes since she would have enough time to put away as well as clean.

zaq

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 11:58 pm
Yes it's not only normal but practically a cliche. Also a necessity in many cases. Cleaners clean, they don't organize or declutter. But if they have to work around clutter they can't get as much done. Since you're paying them to clean, it does behoove you to declutter and organize beforehand so your cleaner can do the best possible job at what you're paying her to do.

OTOH if you don't mind mopping the floor and want your cleaner to fold and put away laundry, then you should be negotiating this with her from the outset.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:30 am
Yeah, that's my problem. I don't need a cleaning lady, rather I need an organizer and declutterer. Once the junk is out of the way, it's almost a pleasure to sweep and wipe.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:29 am
I don't unless it's repulsive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry