Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Food/meal ideas for multi day road trip

MidwestSpring

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:15 pm
We're planning a multi day road trip and I'm looking for meal ideas for supper when we will be at a hotel and also any other food ideas for the car.

I will be bringing a portable double burner to heat things up but really don't want to have to bring too many cooking utensils as space is limited.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

GiGichai

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:18 pm
Sanwich maker and george foreman worked well for me...grill cheese sandwiches for lunch, and burgers or grilled chicken, hotdogs for supper in buns with veggies...that way I didnt have to cook on burners...
Cereal and milk for breakfast, or yoghurts and fruit...

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:32 pm
Lots of nuts. Dried fruits. Fresh fruits and cut up fresh veggies.

Have fun !

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:03 pm
Figure out which utensils/appliances are easiest for you to take and then plan all your meals around those only.
For me it's easiest to take a mini George Foreman grill. I cut season and shape then place each serving in a separate ziploc bag and freeze in flat layer. Like marinated thin chicken cutlets, dark chicken cutlets, sandwich steak, burgers, hot dogs. Then grill fresh.
Sides are ready or instant. So buns, various bread type products. Instant items that can be made with the hot water coffee machine in the hotel room like mashed potatoes, ramen noodles, instant white rice, Mediterranean couscous. Corn salad from can. Vegetables to cut up for salad _ take one knife and seasoning or ready dressing and big zip bags to shake up salad. Ready pasta salad, potato salad for first night.
Lunches are cold sandwiches like cold cuts, tuna, sliced eggs, avocado, cheese.
Breakfast sometimes we do a sandwich maker (you can also make eggs) or ready stuff like cereal & milk, instant oatmeal, ready hard boiled eggs, yogurt drinks shakes that come with a cap so don't burst while traveling, string cheese.
Lots of snacks to nibble.
For car I freeze sandwiches like cold cuts or tuna the night before along with drinks so they stay fresh.
Enjoy!

allcuteonesrtak

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:38 am
grill(like George forman),
grilled cheese maker,
Electric kettle
1 dairy knife
1 meat knife

Salt
Pepper
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayonnaise
Pickles
Crackers
Melba toast
Bread
Wraps
Buns
Skewers
Ziploc bags
Tablecloths
Hot cups
Coffee
Straws
Cutlery
Plates
Bowls
Paper towels
Tin foil
Parchment paper

You can purchase fruits/veggies local

U can alternate the following for Breakfast/lunch:
Cereal and milk, grilled cheese, wraps (avocado, tuna, cheese) yogurt, string cheese, oatmeal, peanut butter & jelly, avocado
The following options for Lunch / dinner: wrap (turkey or grilled chicken) with all the toppings, grilled chicken salad, burgers or hot dogs,

Side dishes: mashed potatoes from a box (honestly I wouldn't recommend it. But there are people I know that serve that at home all year), rice (you can microwave and he minue rice), fresh salad

Lots of fruit and nuts for snacks

We had a burner but didn't end up using it other than to light the Shabbos candles.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:09 am
For in the car, get a variety of crackers, veggie sticks and dips. Water bottles for everyone.
Whoever sits shotgun has the job of passing food to the driver.
Have a stash of grocery bags for garbage, paper towels and baby wipes for spills.
Plan a packed lunch and prepare dinner.

Bring a frying pan, spatula, mixing/serving spoon, sharp knife and a cutting board/plate. Decide if you want to do meat and dairy. If so, bring for both.
Also a pot. For hot water, soup, pasta, potatoes...
If you will be getting a watermelon. Make sure the knife is long enough.
A large mixing bowl -food prep, serving, or salad.
Bring an ice cream scoop, just in case.
Travel mugs for coffee.
Storage containers.
Foil
S'mores ingredients (I have my priorities y'know)
Cooler box

More instant or convenience foods than you would normally serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics