Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Defrost a freezer

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:48 pm
I need to defrost my small second freezer. Any tips besides just unplugging it and letting it melt on to towels and more towels and more towels? And pans with towels underneath...

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:19 pm
When I had my small freezer in the house I simply unplugged it let it melt down and then tipped it to empty it into trays. It was a two person job. My pal The Maytag man informed me that if you plug it in immediately after having it tilted you could burn the compressor motor. It should be kept upright for 24 hrs before turning it on to allow the motor fluids and cooling fluids to level out.

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:41 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
When I had my small freezer in the house I simply unplugged it let it melt down and then tipped it to empty it into trays. It was a two person job. My pal The Maytag man informed me that if you plug it in immediately after having it tilted you could burn the compressor motor. It should be kept upright for 24 hrs before turning it on to allow the motor fluids and cooling fluids to level out.

Great to know thank you! Thumbs Up

May

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:53 pm
I place 9x13 pans on the shelves to catch the drips and constantly empty them throughout the day. That's in addition to towels on the floor in front. I'm also impatient so after it defrosts a few hours and things are 'softer', I use a blow dryer to get things moving faster. I try to pry off big pieces and bring them to the sink.
FTR, I never tip a freezer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen