Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Notice
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I'm not really asking about the legal part. My question is more about landlord being mentchlich and realistic that a large family can't be out in 60 days. A large apartment doesn't just find itself so easily in Brooklyn!

And you had a hunch that your landlord has your interests at heart?

When there's no menchlichkeit, your only ally is legalities.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
And you had a hunch that your landlord has your interests at heart?

When there's no menchlichkeit, your only ally is legalities.

sounds like what her landlord is doing is perfectly legal.

OP: Challenging circumstances... tell everyone you know that you are looking.. check all the local ads... daven.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I'm not really asking about the legal part. My question is more about landlord being mentchlich and realistic that a large family can't be out in 60 days. A large apartment doesn't just find itself so easily in Brooklyn!

You want the real answer?

The last thing on earth the landlord wants is for you to hold over, and to have to institute legal proceedings to get you out. Give him a call. Tell him that 60 days isn't sufficient notice, but you'll agree to vacate, and sign an agreement to that effect, in 120 days, leaving earlier if possible. See what happens. The worst he can do is say no.

Not legal advice.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:08 pm
We are the landlords.

We bought a 2-family that had a tenant, with the intention on converting it to a single family.

When the lease was up we asked tenants to move out. They asked for more time because they were looking to buy a house.

Three months pass, they said the houses they wanted keep falling throgh. Our family was coming for pesach, we really needed the space, our kids end up sleeping in the attic for pesach.

Now another three months have gone by they're still not out. Mind you they have 3 kids and we have 9. But at least we were "mentchlich."

We were patient with them because we were renters for many years and knew what it's like. Moral of the story, unless you need the rental income don't buy a house that's tenant-occupied.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
We are the landlords.

We bought a 2-family that had a tenant, with the intention on converting it to a single family.

When the lease was up we asked tenants to move out. They asked for more time because they were looking to buy a house.

Three months pass, they said the houses they wanted keep falling throgh. Our family was coming for pesach, we really needed the space, our kids end up sleeping in the attic for pesach.

Now another three months have gone by they're still not out. Mind you they have 3 kids and we have 9. But at least we were "mentchlich."

We were patient with them because we were renters for many years and knew what it's like. Moral of the story, unless you need the rental income don't buy a house that's tenant-occupied.

Thanks for sharing! It helps to hear a landlord's perspective. Thanks for opening a window into your world.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 1:02 am
OP- join the group Lookin For on facebook. I often see rental opportunities in Brooklyn in that group.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 1:08 am
Op here
Thanks all for your responses. I am obviously looking for a new apartment but from the phone cake I've done so far, the market doesn't seem so promising and don't I'll be able to be out by 60 days. But, I don't know Hashem's plans! Hopefully for my landlord and myself I'll find something quickly!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 7:38 am
Maybe share what ur looking for here?
Of I or others come across something we can post it.
I am on a few groups on Facebook for apt hunting
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating