Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Art supplies management

jewish613

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:39 pm
Tell me about your storage ideas and rules about art supply use for kids under 5.

1) I would love to set up an easy system for my kids to access and use simple art supplies (crayons, paper, possibly more as well) without needing adult assistance and constant supervision. And without my entire house getting redecorated Wink. They know they're not supposed to color on walls and furniture but seem to do so when supplies are easily accessible and they're not constantly watched when using them. Is this unrealistic? Are your kids only allowed to color when an adult is fully available to supervise and are all supplies kept out of their reach?

2) Also, any storage ideas for other craft supplies for when an adult is around to help? Something that makes it easy to take out and access supplies, and keep everything organized. (Mine are currently all in a big box--not functional!!!)

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:59 pm
I have a 3 drawer storage cart like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hom.....color

We keep crayons, markers, and pencils in one drawer, paper supplies in another drawer, and miscellaneous art stuff (glue, scissors, stickers, pom poms, etc.) in the third drawer.

I wouldn't let kids have free reign until they understand how to only color in the designated area.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:43 pm
Different plastic bins with tight lids for crayons, markers, colored pencils, scissors, glue, etc.

All stored out of reach until the kids are 100% too old to color on walls, cut each other's hair, etc.

The consequences of not being rigid about adult supervision are that occasionally, you may have coloring where you don't want it. Only you can decide whether that's a risk you want to take.

I really like the Crayola magic paint and markers that only work on their treated paper. Those can be kept in reach, because they won't color anything else. The worst problem is that if the tops aren't put back on quickly, they dry out.

In the summer, you can give the kids a hat and sunscreen and send them to a safe area with a paintbrush and a bowl of water. Painting the porch or sidewalk with water is a very high interest activity.

jewish613

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 9:03 pm
Hmmm...I thought I must be missing something because coloring seemed like such a good activity for kids to be able to do on their own. I guess not... It sounds like my only choices are keeping supplies out of reach or continuing to find unwanted decorations around the house. (Yes--Mr. Clean's magic eraser has become my new best friend!)

Thank you Rutabaga and imasinger for your ideas! I'm not sure either of those will work so well for all my miscellaneous supplies (Pom poms, pipe cleaners, feathers, Googly eyes, foam cutouts, paint, paintbrushes, etc.) Any other thoughts?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 9:37 pm
I designated a cabinet high up and bought lots of little drawer containers that fit the space really neatly (stacks of drawers one on top of the other). One drawer for crayons, one gel pens, one stickers, one pom poms, one for scissors and glue, larger one for the endless paper stacks...
Yup, it's hard that I have to get the supplies for them, but harder when they used to get them themselves and there wasn't full supervision.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:06 pm
I keep basic supplies like crayons where the kids can reach, and messy supplies like paint and glitter reserved for times when I can supervise. If you have a serial destroyer kid then I'm not sure that would work, but it works for me. Once in a while things get a little messy but some group clean-up followed by proactive supervision over the next few days usually puts us back on track.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers