Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Should I work next year?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:21 pm
I am torn. This past year has been such a hard and miserable year for me. I did not like the teacher I worked with and everyday was so hard. The children were extremely difficult and I know next year will be different children but still. I already told the principal I will not be coming back next year and left on amicable terms. My plan is to stay at home with my baby for the year but I have been going back and forth for months. I recently found out they are still looking to fill my position and I don't know whether I should ask for it or not. I am worried about having to figure out health insurance, finances, and losing the momentum of working in that school. Should I suck it up for another year? I just don't know what will make me happier and it's stressing me out.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:35 pm
Hmmmm flip a coin?🤔

purple 1

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:39 pm
Do you like the school? Do you like being a teacher? Is it possible to work next year with a different teacher? Write out all the pros and cons of each option. Then it should be clearer to you

pizza4

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:32 pm
Would they give you a different class so you could work with a different teacher? Perhaps a different age would be easier.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 11:36 pm
As a mother with elementary age children I say please don't. The kids feel it, the parents feel it and it's not good for you. So who gains? Your health insurance is covered? Please look into another field that doesnt have such long reaching effects. Job satisfaction is important in any field but in teaching its game changing.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:18 am
Honestly my students really like me I am a fun teacher in my opinion and I do really enjoy the teaching part. This year the students have been the hardest I've ever worked with (not just my opinion but multiple other teachers have said that including the principal) and I'm worried this will impact my ability to get a job the year after. I've learned a lot and I also don't want to forget everything in the coming year. I already told them I'm not coming back but I could change my mind. The only other classroom available would be the same age just diffeeent teacher who is even more type A and hard to work with. I just wish I knew what would make me happier. In addition to the money and Heath insurance worry aspect. Does Medicaid provide worse options in case I decided to get pregnant this year?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:23 am
If you were miserable don't go back. Look for another job.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:46 am
Will your children go to that school?
Do they give tuition discount to teachers?
This is huge.
If yes, I would keep the job.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 2:14 pm
No my kids won't be going to the school. We are hoping to move soon anyway I'm just wondering if it will look bad that I took off a year unless it's a typical thing people do. Plus if it's doing my baby a disservice because she loves daycare so much.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 5:40 pm
How old is your baby

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:46 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but teaching is very part time? I would just do it especially if u need the money u are not committing ur self to a 9-5JOB

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 7:09 pm
I don't think taking one year off should
Impact you getting a teaching job next year, but I obviously can't guarantee anything.
What do you prefer the stress of working or the financial stress? I think that's a really personal question that only you can answer.
Also, what about teaching at a different school? Is that is an option?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:12 pm
Blonde, depending on the school, teaching is a full time job. My Dd's teachers from gan on had to be there before 8:20 when kids arrived so they could set up and they finished at 3:30 when kids left. That didn't include prep for the next day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics