Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How do ppl afford it? Living in EY.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

grace413

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:20 pm
Another point re buying on paper: We bought on paper in an already developed area. I knew where the buses would be, where the gan would be, was reasonably sure that there would only be a steps.

We had previously looked at under construction apartments in Modiin but it was impossible to know where any buses, ganim, makolet, etc would be and I wasn't willing to buy under those circumstances.

Buyer beware: Many a purchaser has been told they are getting a "ground floor" apartment. Nobody tells them that there 35 steps to get from the street to the ground floor of the building.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
Did you honestly manage to buy a 1.3million apartment in Israel without any help at all from anyone?
For a young yeshivish American couple that is highly unusual and close to impossible.
But not every your couple in israel is yeshivish american and not every couple in israel is young and nto every couple in israel is any of those things. So many people are able to save up, for many years and if they have good jobs, for their down payment. Not sure why this is so not believable.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
Did you honestly manage to buy a 1.3million apartment in Israel without any help at all from anyone?
For a young yeshivish American couple that is highly unusual and close to impossible.

We moved in two years ago, we've been married ten years now. Until when is one called a newlywed?
We have work, investment and inheritance working in our favor. Oh, and my father signed as an areiv on the mortgage.
Yes we got a mortgage since we didn't have enough cash laying around to buy it straight out.

camp123

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 11:36 pm
A few years ago prices were more reasonable and so you could have probably saved up to buy something. Now, for most people it is close to impossible without help. 1.3 million apartment. You need at least 30% down payment 390000 shekels. This would mean saving over 3000 shekels a month for ten years or 1600 shekels a month for 20 years. Not easy to do if you are paying rent or mortgage. There is now a government program where you can go into a lottery to get cheaper apartments in certain areas to help young couples.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:28 am
OP, how are you getting by currently? I sounds like you might be struggling financially now too.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 1:59 am
I made aliya in my late 40s. We have some older children and some younger children.
We had been working full-time in good positions for many, many years before our aliya. And we are not big spenders.
Also we sold our house in the States to afford to buy a house in Israel. Even with putting a large portion down we needed a mortgage for about 35%. We don't want to be repaying a mortgage past retirement age.
And we are both working here, not pulling in anywhere near what we made in the States.
We have quite a bit in saving - though it recently started going down due to employment changes - and even more in retirement funds.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 7:26 am
Iymnok wrote:
We moved in two years ago, we've been married ten years now. Until when is one called a newlywed?
We have work, investment and inheritance working in our favor. Oh, and my father signed as an areiv on the mortgage.
Yes we got a mortgage since we didn't have enough cash laying around to buy it straight out.

I meant even on a mortgage.
You don't have to disclose your specific details more, was just saying that for a young couple who moved to Israel it's very hard to do that without help. By help, I didn't mean specifically monthly support, some might have received a large chunk of money when getting married that they invested and then used for this purpose or a lump sum when buying the apartment. Or as you said, inheritance money.
Of course if both parties have good jobs that helps a lot as well, but it's not always easy to find.

crazymom

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 1:54 pm
The website anglo-list has a section on how to save money while living in Israel. I thought it was information. Just google Saving money in Israel- look for mango site.

Seems little things can add us: turn your hot water heater off, don't take water for granted, shop at the market, etc.

Good luck!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 2:44 pm
DrMom wrote:
OP, how are you getting by currently? I sounds like you might be struggling financially now too.

OP here, not at all, B"H,
1. We are empty nesters, no tuition, only 1/2 supporting 1 not married child.
2. DH earns VERY GOOD, B"H.
3. We live very comfortably, take vacations (not extravagent) often without thinking twice, but are very careful with expenses throughout the year.
4. No mortgages on all properties owned
5. Have put savings away for retirement throughout the years, past 5 Yrs more aggressively, since kids got married and no mortgages left.

But I'm being realistic, if I want to keep th lifestyle I have now I would need to have a monthly income of about $4500 US Dollars a month, including cost for shelter. I can minimize this amount to $2800 if I own an apartment.

It's just the cost of every day things in Israel is scary.
And things are just going to get more expensive.
So, the $2800, in 10 yrs from now, may be $3360 (adding 20%) would be more realistic.
Just said 20%, because, no particular reason.

To the op that said we need 30% down payment
Actually we need 50%, because we have not made Aliyah yet.
I want to buy now, to rent out and use later, when I do decide to make Aliyah.

proudima

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 4:07 pm
Didn't read the whole thread but had to comment. We are in israel 14 years. No help from parents, no house bought for us (or downpayment/gift of money etc etc).
We have b H always made ends meet. When we were earning 3500 shek in the beginning, and now when we make considerably more.
Caveat: we work very very very very very hard (to the point of me sleeping at work sometimes). Also, I got very lucky with work, and have proven that I am an excellent worker.
Not everyone here is supported. Not by a long shot.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 5:52 am
My parents bis 120!! are part of a landsleit thing and will have free burial.
My Israeli family definitely paid.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 2:40 pm
Ruchel wrote:
My parents bis 120!! are part of a landsleit thing and will have free burial.
My Israeli family definitely paid.
Ruchel every Israeli citizen gets a free burial plot if they are buried in their area. If they want to be buried elsewhere, then they have to pay, otherwise its free.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 5:34 am
Just had to comment but couldn't read whole thread.

My parents made aliyah to RBS when I was a teen, and we came with no house, no job, 2000 dollars, and money from nfesh binfesh, and lots of emunah.

Currently my parents make around 15,000 shekel but there is still no food the last week of the month. The average salary is 7,000. We do not own an apartment and only got a car a few months ago. Rent is 5000 and food is another 4000. Most israelis never have meat during the week and only eat chicken, they live simply. Thy have 3 or 4 bed room apartments and kids can sleep with up to 5 siblings in their room (some families have even more). In other families boys sleep in the living room on couches that turn into bed and matresses, when they turn old enough they go to yeshivah.

People have 3 shabbos outfits, no shabbos robes, and 4-5 weekday outfits. Kids and women will have 3 skirts, my dad only has 3 pairs of pants. Everything is washed all the time. People go to multiple supermarkets for different deals, people don't have smartphones or computers (less things to spend money on). Many families do not go on vacation EVER or eat out.

I have a friend what has 12 siblings, her mother sold her silver lichter to get enough money to pay for the plane tickets to israel. Her father landed a great job getting 20,000 shekel a month but rent is 6,000 and food can cost another 7,000, forget the bills.....

We and many others barely make the bills and scrape and scramble to provide food at the end of the month. I do not know of anyone getting any support. I certainly am not.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:18 am
amother wrote:

My parents made aliyah to RBS when I was a teen, and we came with no house, no job, 2000 dollars, and money from nfesh binfesh, and lots of emunah.

Currently my parents make around 15,000 shekel but there is still no food the last week of the month. The average salary is 7,000. We do not own an apartment and only got a car a few months ago. Rent is 5000 and food is another 4000. Most israelis never have meat during the week and only eat chicken, they live simply. Thy have 3 or 4 bed room apartments and kids can sleep with up to 5 siblings in their room (some families have even more). In other families boys sleep in the living room on couches that turn into bed and matresses, when they turn old enough they go to yeshivah.

People have 3 shabbos outfits, no shabbos robes, and 4-5 weekday outfits. Kids and women will have 3 skirts, my dad only has 3 pairs of pants. Everything is washed all the time. People go to multiple supermarkets for different deals, people don't have smartphones or computers (less things to spend money on). Many families do not go on vacation EVER or eat out.

I have a friend what has 12 siblings, her mother sold her silver lichter to get enough money to pay for the plane tickets to israel. Her father landed a great job getting 20,000 shekel a month but rent is 6,000 and food can cost another 7,000, forget the bills.....

We and many others barely make the bills and scrape and scramble to provide food at the end of the month. I do not know of anyone getting any support. I certainly am not.

Amother, I just want to point out that your situation and that of many others is not how ALL israelis live at all. I feel like I am going to get yelled at if I say this, but I will anyway. It is some of the charedi population that you are really talking about.

Personally, we have chicken at least 4 days out of the week.
No, not most people have kids sharing with that many siblings in one bedroom. That is NOT the norm here in Israel. I dont know one persona who has kids sleeping in the living room.
Shabbat outfits? I know people with way too many Wink and the men have just enough as well. Everyone I know has a smart phone and computers, yes plural sometimes.

So, while your living situation is not unheard of, there is a whole wider israel out there that others are living, not the one you mentioned, at all.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:29 am
Firstly moving to Israel is a nice thing you just have to know that it's your country but you will still be a foreigner.
When I lived there I was living on Israeli standards. We buy less food but more clothing. Jobs if you speak fluently in Hebrew then you can get a better paying job.
Also I never invited guests (American/European boys). Also his parents paid half and my parents paid the other half of our rent for the first six months.
He works also. The man in the house has to provide the money. No I don't have to live on a kollel budget. That's how people do it.
Food is more expensive
Papergoods are cheaper
Electric bills are cheaper
Gas is cheaper
Rent is cheaper even in Jlem compared to NYC
Gas for a car is very expensive
We use buses not really cars.
Apartment to buy in Jlem is very expensive around 800k- 1 million dollars.
Clothes is same price a drop more expensive sometimes.
Shoes are sometimes cheaper sometimes not.
Arnona is the monthly fee to upkeep the building and you must pay it. It's about 60₪ a month.
Israeli people do dress better than their counterpart Americans that live in Israel.
Those days of being plain and simple in Israel is over. I wish the Americans will learn that already!
The Israeli's say American's are poorer than them because they dress so plain.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:34 am
All the recent comments are highly community-specific.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:37 am
DrMom wrote:
All the recent comments are highly community-specific.
I feel like they are from charedi and kollel living families only.
These last few posts are completely not my israel. I know there is that israel, but it is not at all what I know to be how people live.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:38 am
amother wrote:

Currently my parents make around 15,000 shekel but there is still no food the last week of the month. The average salary is 7,000. We do not own an apartment and only got a car a few months ago. Rent is 5000 and food is another 4000. [b]Most israelis never have meat during the week and only eat chicken, they live simply.[/b] Thy have 3 or 4 bed room apartments and kids can sleep with up to 5 siblings in their room (some families have even more). In other families boys sleep in the living room on couches that turn into bed and matresses, when they turn old enough they go to yeshivah.

You are talking about Israel of the 1980s.
B"h 99% of the Yerushalmi world is not living on the standards that Americans live on. Somehow Americans their houses are run down and filthy.
Israeli's dress very up to par. They are next to Europe and they dress a style ahead of Americans in the USA. Sometimes I walk in the street and I see American women walking around with shaitels too big for their faces and they look scary. Please dress normal!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 6:41 am
amother wrote:
B"h 99% of the Yerushalmi world is not living on the standards that Americans live on. Somehow Americans their houses are run down and filthy.
Israeli's dress very up to par. They are next to Europe and they dress a style ahead of Americans in the USA. Sometimes I walk in the street and I see American women walking around with shaitels too big for their faces and they look scary. Please dress normal!
In israel?
Also, how would you know that every lady that you pass on the street with a big wig is an american? I know many women who wear wigs, american and israelis, and they fit their faces just fine. I think your stereotyping a bit too much here.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 7:40 am
amother wrote:

I moved here as a teen and I'm 21 now. I have no idea what it was like in the 80's, I'm talking about real people I know. Look I've lived in RBS for some time, and I've been to the aemrican places in Jerusalem- that's all the people who have money, support, own their apartment, and or rich. This is what everyone is compliaing isn't realistic. AND IT'S NOT! I mean there's a lot of people who do live like that, and good for them but there's plenty that don't.

I don't have car personally, and most of my friends don't too. We don't buy meat during the week unless it's a special occasion. I get clothing between 30-150 shekel, I would never step foot in one of those european stores where something costs 300-1000 shekels.
Who has money for that?

A lot of people I know didn't get a sheitel when they got married, or they only got a shabbos sheitel. Why have 2? That's so much money! Are you crazy?

Owning a house is a unattainable dream, it's never going to happen unless you win the lottery. If currently me and my husband make 5000 shekel a month, with zero support we need to pay rent, bills, food....

Life is hard. It's not like th glosssy magazines or the newlyweds that have support. There's hundreds of thousands like me.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions