Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How does everyone know how to just NOT eat
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

cookiewriter

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 7:40 am
I'm overweight, have tried every diet ever. Every nutritionist, meds, counseling etc. I travel in kind of fancy circles in Flatbush. And I see the women around me in my age group (30's) but really even the 20 yr olds and 40 yr olds are all BONE THIN. I have started paying attention and realized with kind of shock that they do not eat. I was at a weekend shabbos sheva brachos and none of the ladies even WASHED. For either meal. They didn't even touch salmon chicken etc. just a veg here and there. Don't u people get hungry? How do you all know how to be like this? And most importantly how can I learn to eat less??

beth allen

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 8:05 am
I have noticed that too...thin people eat very little.
Here is what I try to do:
-drink a lot of water
-eat a green leafy salad with lunch and dinner.I am careful with the type of dressing and amount. But, I always put ONE favorite in each salad- small amounts of nuts or seeds, small amount of terra sticks,pomegranate seeds or other fruit, avocado. I LOOK FORWARD TO MY SALAD WHEN I DO THIS.
Eat soup(vegetable soup, soup with beans in it) as a meal or with a meal.
Eat high fiber foods so you are fuller
Eat beans-very filling and lots of fiber and protein.
eat a variety of vegetables and fruits . take advantage of when summer fruits are available-limit the amount
have a treat once in a while, as long as you know how to stop.
EXERCISE.-find something you like. YOGA
chew sugarless gum.
IF can't do all of these, try to eat soup and salad as often as you can.
Good luck!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 8:07 am
I wonder the same thing!
Whenever I go out with certain friends, they just order a coffee... And I order a full meal! Or when I invite certain people over for meals, they barely eat...
I am fit and thin though, so I don't worry about it. I just think it's strange.
Your goal shouldn't be to not eat- it should be to eat properly. Make good food choices, exercise, drink water- and be happy with the results.
Not everyone is meant to be a size two! I thank G-D have a nice figure, I don't think I can get any thinner even if I starve- but I'm not a size two. I have curves, and that's that!
Bottom line, be happy with what you have and make healthy choices.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:13 am
My dd (late 20's) is very thin. She wasn't always thin, only in recent years. I asked her about her routine: no breads, pasta, cookies, etc. Even on Shabbos, she won't touch it. She feels these starches stimulate her appetite to eat more more more. At this point she won't even touch rice cakes.
She eats fresh fruits and veggies as her main source of food, some nuts, some protein.
Never eats past 6 p.m.
Starts her day with fresh-squeezed lemon in hot water.
The hot liquid is very satisfying. I guess that's why people drink coffee?
She's love to eat all the goodies, but when she contemplates putting them in her mouth she knows it comes at a cost- she will feel sluggish and she will lose her lean-ness.
She makes sure to get exercise every day- a walk, a run, a bike ride, a something.
She does yoga every day. To feel good.
I guess she does things to make herself feel good so that she doesn't have to turn to food for the feel-good feeling.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
My dd (late 20's) is very thin. She wasn't always thin, only in recent years. I asked her about her routine: no breads, pasta, cookies, etc. Even on Shabbos, she won't touch it. She feels these starches stimulate her appetite to eat more more more. At this point she won't even touch rice cakes.
She eats fresh fruits and veggies as her main source of food, some nuts, some protein.
Never eats past 6 p.m.
Starts her day with fresh-squeezed lemon in hot water.
The hot liquid is very satisfying. I guess that's why people drink coffee?
She's love to eat all the goodies, but when she contemplates putting them in her mouth she knows it comes at a cost- she will feel sluggish and she will lose her lean-ness.
She makes sure to get exercise every day- a walk, a run, a bike ride, a something.
She does yoga every day. To feel good.
I guess she does things to make herself feel good so that she doesn't have to turn to food for the feel-good feeling.

Am I the only one who reads this as an eating disorder? Severely limiting calories with a lot of exercise?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:25 am
Eat lots of protein and ditch the starches and sugars and fake sugars, all which increase your cravings to eat more and drive weight gain. Protein and fat is very satisfying. Contrary to what we've been told (and doctors and nutritionists still espouse), fat is NOT the enemy; sugar and carbs are. Eat nuts, eggs, avocado = delicious, healthy, and you don't gain weight from them. Ditch = pasta, potatoes, bread, cereal (or not entirely, but greatly reduce).

The sugar industry paid off the medical industry to blame fat instead of sugar for American's rising weight gain (which started when they were told to stop eating eggs and bacon for breakfast - let that sink in - when they switched to cereals and muffins is when the fat problem started for Americans).

http://www.npr.org/sections/th.....t-fat

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/0......html

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:42 am
If you find that you can't control yourself around food I'd suggest you look into OA, it's been my lifesaver. Some people have a real issue controlling their eating, I'm one of them. I learned what I need to do to get my life together and I'm so grateful.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Eat lots of protein and ditch the starches and sugars and fake sugars, all which increase your cravings to eat more and drive weight gain. Protein and fat is very satisfying. Contrary to what we've been told (and doctors and nutritionists still espouse), fat is NOT the enemy; sugar and carbs are. Eat nuts, eggs, avocado = delicious, healthy, and you don't gain weight from them. Ditch = pasta, potatoes, bread, cereal (or not entirely, but greatly reduce).

The sugar industry paid off the medical industry to blame fat instead of sugar for American's rising weight gain (which started when they were told to stop eating eggs and bacon for breakfast - let that sink in - when they switched to cereals and muffins is when the fat problem started for Americans).

I keep saying that! There are studies that show that the lowfat movement caused the obesity epidemic.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:52 am
Yellow, nothing in the food list says "severely limiting calories" if you look more closely. The woman eats fruit, veggies, protein--looks like modified low carb diet. Not eating after 6 isn't a problem either, as long as you eat properly during the day, and nothing indicates an exercise "addiction." The simplified popular version of her diet as posted is "no white food." Unfortunately I'm the same way. If I eat a potato or pasta or cake, I want more and more. Interestingly I can eat a tiny piece of chocolate and be done--just not a potato or rice or pasta.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 10:51 am
amother wrote:

There's something to this, for sure, but it leaves out an unpleasant part of the story. Obesity rates started rising as smoking rates started falling. So long as people were smoking, they didn't eat as much - either because smoking curbed their appetite, or because they got their oral fix, or maybe something else we don't understand.

Now I know that there are overweight smokers out there, but the statistics still hold true.

sima

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 11:10 am
I don't know how they do it and quite frankly it's probably really unhealthy. They are lowering their metabolisms even more by eating in this way. The key is to exercise several times per week, not go overboard, but push yourself to a good sweat. A lot of the exercise people do is walking, yoga that doesn't cut it if you really want to lose weight. Then a person needs something more intense for at least 30 mins several times per week. Add in a balanced diet, and not overboard restrictions that are going around........ just my 2 cents.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 11:12 am
Given a choice I'd rather be overweight and have a life.
I have no idea how people do it, nor am I familiar with it.

Ima_Shelli

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 11:12 am
Intermittent fasting has worked wonders for me. On the days I do it I can get away with coffee and light snacks since I'm not in the "eating" mode. I also excercise several times a week.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:02 pm
Look into intuitive eating, it's about learning how to understand your body's signals.

You can buy the book on amazon:
Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program that Works https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250.....810WN

There is also a Facebook page for frum women called "intuitive eating for Jewish women". Anon because I'm on it.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:14 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I'm overweight, have tried every diet ever. Every nutritionist, meds, counseling etc. I travel in kind of fancy circles in Flatbush. And I see the women around me in my age group (30's) but really even the 20 yr olds and 40 yr olds are all BONE THIN. I have started paying attention and realized with kind of shock that they do not eat. I was at a weekend shabbos sheva brachos and none of the ladies even WASHED. For either meal. They didn't even touch salmon chicken etc. just a veg here and there. Don't u people get hungry? How do you all know how to be like this? And most importantly how can I learn to eat less??

I hate to be the one to mention this but some of the women you know who really don't eat are curbing their appetites with drugs and supplements. They might look great to you but please DON'T GO THERE. The ones not touching salmon, chicken and listlessly picking at a lettuce leaf are not doing anything you want to copy.

I'm not jumping on the anti-carb bandwagon. You have to get to know your own metabolism and don't deprive yourself of any one important category of food: carbs, proteins, fats. A good nutritionist may be able to help. If you're careful and pay attention to your own body, you might be able to do it on your own.

The carbs to avoid are simple sugars. Your body doesn't need them at all. That includes all of the following whether found in a donut, a latte, or the sauce on your sushi or succulent ribs: sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, maple syrup, silan. Even though there are "healthy" recipes that will tell you to use the last three, you need to avoid them. The carbs you don't want to miss are the ones in dairy products, fruit, and whole grains like oats, brown rice, whole wheat flour. Going carb free puts your body into a state of ketosis- not good for you, and has the added disadvantage of causing you to balloon as soon as you start eating carbs again.
Getting less than half your nutrients from healthy carbs, about a third from protein and the rest from healthy fats (such as avocado, nuts, egg yolks, EVOO) will keep you satisfied, healthy and feeling great.

If you're at a simcha you can eat a slice of challah twice on Shabbos. At home you might want to replace that with a board of whole wheat matzah. Eat a slice of salmon or a chicken breast (not breaded and fried) at your seuda, but you don't need both at the same meal. Skip the kugel. Add some vegetables (undressed, enjoy their natural taste and texture) and indulge in a juicy piece of fresh fruit.

Get half an hour of exercise that makes you sweaty at least five days a week.

And most important, look in the mirror and see your body for the beautiful gift it is.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:27 pm
Just putting it out there that plenty of thin women still eat. Not everyone is starving themselves. No real advice for the op, wishing you good luck.

pizza4

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
There's something to this, for sure, but it leaves out an unpleasant part of the story. Obesity rates started rising as smoking rates started falling. So long as people were smoking, they didn't eat as much - either because smoking curbed their appetite, or because they got their oral fix, or maybe something else we don't understand.

Now I know that there are overweight smokers out there, but the statistics still hold true.

Looks like two independent studies that have no direct connection.

If I would stop eating all the sugary stuff I do, I'd probably lose some weight. I don't think I'd be able to survive on just vegetables though! Lol.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:39 pm
I hate going to simchas nowadays cause most of my friends and people there are stick thin. I end up hating myself even though I go to the gym and am on weight watchers. I lost 1.1kg this week. Still my nosy bil tells me thst I better lose weight before I make bar mitzvah in December. I was now in London and 3 family members told me im fat. So mad.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:40 pm
FTR, sweating isnot needed for effective exercise.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:46 pm
When I'm in health mode, I barely eat at simchas. I will wash for the mitzvah and that's it.
Unless I know the good is AH-MAZING. I'm a big foodie.
I stay away from white bread Cake cookies sugar etc.
At simchas, salmon probably has a ton of sugar and not worth it for me.
I fill up before the seuda on a good breakfast to lower the chances of me eating. It doesn't mean I don't eat. I don't eat at simchas.
Catered/restaurant for makes me feel like ****.

I'm one of those skinny people who everyone is like what DO u eat?
I'll tell u what I don't eat+ unhealthy commercial food.
(I do eat desserts at every simchas though. I know -paradox)

FYI - I try to have a 80/20 lifestyle... 80% healthy 20% not.

I've been really not behaved past 2 months. And it shows. Gotta get back into it.

Basically fill up on fruit veggies and protein.. lots and lots and lots
And drink lots of water.

And move. Walk up and down the stairs. Anything.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise