Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How does everyone know how to just NOT eat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

rachel91

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 4:57 pm
For me it's psychological, if I have my mind set on losing weight, I will just not give in to any temptation! lately that hasn't happened unfortunately, at least not for too long, but four years ago (after baby), I lost 37 kg in two months, counting calories, not eating past 6 pm or earlier, no sweets, two meals a day but not too restricted there and excercise but also didn't go crazy. I was so weight loss oriented, that that just mattered more to me than the food.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 4:58 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
OP here
Thank u all for your well meaning advice. I know everything there is to know about nutrition. My kids love kale and tofu and everything else. I obviously know I need to exercise (but I don't. Bec in bklyn too hard to go anywhere esp with baby) . I just want to know what a skinny person eats on a daily and shabbos basis. Give me ur exact foods and menus.

Walk around the block. Walk up and down the stairs.

Fri night - piece of challah, preferably spelt
Slice of grilled Salmon - with grilled peppers or veggie mix or cherry tomatoes someone's teriyaki
Chicken soup - lots and lots of veggies in the soup - zucchini, carrot, turnip, parsnip, and I eat the chicken from the soup.

Shabbos morning - challah, hard boiled eggs, liver, big salad, small salads, you can eat cholent (beans are healthy not kishka and kugel)

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 5:00 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Amother brown-
Love how u eat. So normal and healthy too and easy. The thing is I couldn't eat like that. As I would eventually have an unbearable urge to stuff my face as fast as I can with cookies pretzels cake etc. yes I know that's a binge yes I have read intuitive eating genres roth and everything else on the subject.

Did u ever try to go off it and see if the urge stops?
I said I haven't been good the last 2 months.. I find if I eat it I crave it

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:

cookiewriter wrote:
Also is life really worth living without pizza. And chocolate chips cookies. In the moment I always choose those over being thin.

amother wrote:

ITA. Carrot and kale eating people have a sad life😀

Do u live to eat or do u eat to live?

jade

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 5:28 pm
Over the past year, I lost 45 pounds. I had pizza, ice cream and everything I liked, just in smaller portions and less often. You don't want exercise? Use an online tdee calculator (literally google this exact phrase) to learn your sedentary tdee - this is how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Want to lose? Cutting 500 calories per day will have losing an average of 1 lb/week. These calories can consist of anything you like, though some foods are overall better for you and will keep you full longer, thus making it easier to stay within your calories. Don't listen to all the fad diet advice. There is no magic menu or food.

You don't have to eat only kale for the rest of your life. It is also not necessary for your health to be "bony." If you want to lose, set a healthy goal weight and count your calories.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 5:39 pm
I am not thin but getting there.
I agree with not eating after 6 pm. I will eat carrots or even a few grapes in the evening, but I wont eat food. I also drink coffee in the evening, but no food. My main meal is antime between 1 to 3 pm.
I dont really eat Friday night shabbat meal when shabbat comes in so late. I already ate in the afternoon, and at night will just have chicken soup and salad. Thats really enough at 9 pm!
My fitnesspal app is great for tracking your calories. You type in what you ate, and they detract it from your daily allowed intake. Really I had no idea how way over my caloric intake I am.
Sleep is also crucial. It's well documented that those who suffer from sleep deficiency often gain weight. I see on myself that often when I am tired I turn to sugar and carbs for a quick pick me up. You need to avoid that, or at least keep to a minimum.
I eat goodies dispersed throughout the day. But my goodies are grapes, watermelon, low fat sorbet ice cream.
Bottom line though, it's a state of mind. You have to want to lose weight and you need a good reason to. Otherwise there is nothing easier than just ignoring all the rules.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 6:17 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Also is life really worth living without pizza. And chocolate chips cookies. In the moment I always choose those over being thin.

I'm with ya on that one :-)

I like that you're choosing. You're in full choice. You're exercising autonomy and that's what matters.

When you'll be up for it you might choose to excercise choice and autonomy in another way - perhaps choosing to eat the same foods, but less. Or anything else you decide.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the only one who reads this as an eating disorder? Severely limiting calories with a lot of exercise?

Huh? she eats protein as in fish, eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Regardless, it seems beyond the point at this point...

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 7:09 pm
To stay full and never be hungry read one of my favorite books. Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salad. Her premise is not to cut out carbs because if you have for example only a protein and salad for a meal you still will be hungry but if you eat your protein with a carb (fruit or grain, potato, bread) you will feel satisfied. She says you need fat but only a little of it. Many people are eating salads and protein plus fat and no carbs and therefore are hungry.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:23 pm
This is such a sad and unhealthy thread. Yes, its important to be healthy, but mental health is just as important as physical health, and (to the shock of many here) being skinny and always on a diet does NOT necessarily make you healthy. Not eating anything without knowing how many calories sounds like a mind that never relaxes, bordering on obsession. Never eating just for the enjoyment of your palette? Sounds like a lot of you are endorsing various forms of disordered eating, which can lead to significant mental health (and physical health!!!) problems.
And this goal of "thinness"... guess what - we all have different genetics, and some people will never be naturally thin. And that's ok.
The goal should be to be healthy; physically, mentally, emotionally. So make sure to eat healthful foods in quantities that give you the energy you need. Eat pleasurable foods every once in a while just for the sheer pleasure of something exquisite tasting. And exercise for the enjoyment of it, and to keep your heart, lungs and muscles working for you till old age. This should be the goal.
And here's whats more. Those skinny women who won't eat on Shabbos or at simchas, but look fabulous in their clothes - they are no happier than you are. Every extra calorie or pound makes them anxious. Then they have to "punish" themselves by eating less/exercising more. So what have they gained? No more happiness, just the ability to make other women feel jealous by looking at them.

And before you judge and say I don't have the right to weigh in (pun intended) on this ... I am a normal sized woman, health conscious, who does not diet and has not dieted in almost 20 years. But I did come very close to an eating disorder in high school, where I was 30 pounds less than I am now (and I am a normal and healthy weight now). I did a lot of the things some women upstream were endorsing. I held a mental running tally of the exact number of calories I was up to each day. I severely limited my caloric intake. I only ate foods high in nutritional content, and everyone around me was so impressed with my "healthy eating". I exercised a ton. I was a size 0. I would get "compliments" (barf) on how good I looked (I looked terrible, actually, which only shows us how ridiculous our society is where being skinny is automatically equated with pretty, and real beauty gets ignored). And I was unhappy. And obsessed. My mind could never rest. It takes a ton of mental energy to keep this up. I must say that my friendships lapsed during those 2 years. I thought I felt great, but can remember getting faint when running. I lost a ton of weight. And I still felt the need to restrict my intake. It is a never ending cycle of obsession that has nothing to do with being skinny.
To all the women upthread... Please, please don't do this to yourself, and more importantly, don't encourage this in others.
OP - you ask how others are able to NOT EAT? It's because they are sick in their minds. You are supposed to eat! You are supposed to enjoy eating! Yes, you should not overeat or indulge in remarkably unhealthy foods too often. Yes, you should exercise for the health of your body (not for weight loss). Find an active activity that makes you happy and then do it because it feels good. Iy"h your body needs to last you the rest of your life. Please treat it well, and with love.

(and on a separate note, on the problems with ketosis... ketones are the byproduct of fat metabolism when there are no carbs to be utilized for quick energy that the body needs. Sounds good, right? The problem is that ketones are acids. And the build-up of too many keto-acids in the blood can alter the pH of the blood, which can be very harmful. In my practice I often have to admit diabetics to the ICU who are in ketoacidosis from their diabetes, but on occasion I have seen starvation ketosis. The blood pH is supposed to be within the very narrow range of 7.35-7.45 in order for the body to function, and ketoacidosis lowers the pH of the blood below that range. So be careful.)

agreer

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
This is such a sad and unhealthy thread.
To all the women upthread... Please, please don't do this to yourself, and more importantly, don't encourage this in others.

OP - you ask how others are able to NOT EAT? It's because they are sick in their minds. You are supposed to eat! You are supposed to enjoy eating! Yes, you should not overeat or indulge in remarkably unhealthy foods too often. Yes, you should exercise for the health of your body (not for weight loss). Find an active activity that makes you happy and then do it because it feels good. Iy"h your body needs to last you the rest of your life. Please treat it well, and with love.

I loved your entire post, PP, and I thought this part was the best. I added the underlined emphasis.

I wish you had the courage to post under you SN but I understand.

momof2+?

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 10:30 pm
I'd like to add to this thread what nobody seems to have mentioned...

When someone is skinny already they have to continue consuming the amount of calories that keeps them at their weight. I find the harder part LOSING the weight. THAT is when you have to make sure that there is more energy being burnt off then going in. But staying the same weight isn't as hard. Its like staying 200 lb.

marina

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 12:11 am
Quote:
(and on a separate note, on the problems with ketosis... ketones are the byproduct of fat metabolism when there are no carbs to be utilized for quick energy that the body needs. Sounds good, right? The problem is that ketones are acids. And the build-up of too many keto-acids in the blood can alter the pH of the blood, which can be very harmful. In my practice I often have to admit diabetics to the ICU who are in ketoacidosis from their diabetes, but on occasion I have seen starvation ketosis. The blood pH is supposed to be within the very narrow range of 7.35-7.45 in order for the body to function, and ketoacidosis lowers the pH of the blood below that range. So be careful.)

Soooo tired of the keto-haters here LOL

I'm in ketosis since last September. Sometimes I'll be bumped out b/c I had a bowl of blueberries or whatever but I get back in within a few days. Everything is better. Lost a ton of weight, good energy level, sugar is 70-80 in the labs. Never going to get diabetes, ever.

I eat cheese, fish, chicken, eggs and tons of different veggies and salads. If I want dessert, I'll make whipped heavy cream with splenda or cheesecake with splenda. Tonight for dinner I had roasted broccoli and grilled chicken w onions. Snacks are pistachios, cheese, avocadoes, sugarless gum etc

Your body becomes adapted to burning fat for fuel instead of sugar. You're never going to get into starvation ketosis b/c you're still eating green veggies and salads and so on, which have enough carbs to keep you well out of danger.

Instead of focusing on all the so-called dangers of a low carb diet, sheesh, think about the risks of a high carb diet, which is a much higher risk than finding yourself in ketoacidosis bc of diets.

It's like saying oh, don't exercise because you might get dehydrated. Uh? What? No. Exercise and be healthy, but just take precautions and drink water. lol

Great FB group: Keto for Badass Babes. So many people there and so many positive posts, before and after pics and menus and explanations. Good luck!

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 12:20 am
There was an amazing article series in Binah by Dr. Koslowitz - it was about how she used psychological principles to lose weight and she lost 100 lbs. It was called Shrink/Grow. Maybe contact Binah and ask for reprints? I know a lot of people who read the series and incorporated a lot of what she said and lost weight. She was very into low carb, exercise,and how to motivate yourself to keep on going.Really helpful.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 12:29 am
To the amother who thought counting calories all your life is a terrible way to live.
For some of us it's the only way to stay at a normal weight. Not all of us are like you. Some of us would otherwise balloon to obesity (or have).
I dont feel deprived. I feel much healthier and it's a challenge to keep it up. You also learn to appreciate how yummy a piece of fruit is when you arent eating 5 cookies instead.

etky

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 3:56 am
amother wrote:
To the amother who thought counting calories all your life is a terrible way to live.
For some of us it's the only way to stay at a normal weight. Not all of us are like you. Some of us would otherwise balloon to obesity (or have).
I dont feel deprived. I feel much healthier and it's a challenge to keep it up. You also learn to appreciate how yummy a piece of fruit is when you arent eating 5 cookies instead.

This. Was going to say the same thing.
I agree with everything else in Taupe amother's post except for the premise that counting calories is a terrible way to live. For me, this type of mindul and controlled eating is what guarantees my quality of life by giving me control over my weight and, paradoxically, allowing me to enjoy splurges here and there because I can plan for them.
I have been counting WW points for the past 14 years after losing 70 lbs. on the WW program.
I am totally not deprived even though I do not eat everything I want all the time.
B"h I think I've managed to calibrate my eating so that it approximates the 80/20 idea: I eat mostly healthfully and within my calorie budget but about 20% of the time (for me that's Shabbat) I don't.
Over the years I've probably put back about 10 ilbs of the weight I originally lost because I made the decision that I do not want to restrict myself so rigorously. Life is short, I love food and I also want to be able to eat 'unhealthful' and calorific foods that give me pleasure now and then. So I could be a size 6 instead of the 8 that I am now- so what? Not worth it to me.
OTOH the fact that I monitor and tally what I eat grants me the peace of mind and knowledge that as long as I persevere in this lifestyle (I also exercise alot) I will be"h never be obese again.
No, I never do completely relax my mind regarding my eating - even when I've loosened the belt on Shabbat and chagim. Somehow though that feels right to me.
I feel that Judaism encourages this too with all our dietary laws and berachot on food. There are limits and boundaries on all our physical pleasures, that we are encouraged to enjoy - but in a mindful and specified fashion.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 8:00 am
besty wrote:
do they really have a sad life? do you still feel so good how u felt last week when you ate your pizza and razzle?

It's not about the food making you feel good.
It's about enjoying a treat sometimes without guilt, a trip to the pizza store and not eating just lettuce, a delicious slice of the cake you just baked, a quick ice cream snack with your kids... etc

Disclaimer: I don't binge, I'm not overweight, (ok 5 lb), but definitely not a size 2.
I enjoy this world, food included.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 9:16 am
cookiewriter wrote:
OP here
Thank u all for your well meaning advice. I know everything there is to know about nutrition. My kids love kale and tofu and everything else. I obviously know I need to exercise (but I don't. Bec in bklyn too hard to go anywhere esp with baby) . I just want to know what a skinny person eats on a daily and shabbos basis. Give me ur exact foods and menus.

You might be working with the old-fashioned paradigm that doctors and nutritionists still push. You might be drinking diet soda, with all that fake sugar that increases cravings. You might not realize fatty protein keeps you full longer and thus reduces cravings. I am suggesting all the things you think you know might be wrong.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:35 am
marina wrote:
Quote:

Soooo tired of the keto-haters here LOL

I'm in ketosis since last September. Sometimes I'll be bumped out b/c I had a bowl of blueberries or whatever but I get back in within a few days. Everything is better. Lost a ton of weight, good energy level, sugar is 70-80 in the labs. Never going to get diabetes, ever.

I eat cheese, fish, chicken, eggs and tons of different veggies and salads. If I want dessert, I'll make whipped heavy cream with splenda or cheesecake with splenda. Tonight for dinner I had roasted broccoli and grilled chicken w onions. Snacks are pistachios, cheese, avocadoes, sugarless gum etc

Your body becomes adapted to burning fat for fuel instead of sugar. You're never going to get into starvation ketosis b/c you're still eating green veggies and salads and so on, which have enough carbs to keep you well out of danger.

Instead of focusing on all the so-called dangers of a low carb diet, sheesh, think about the risks of a high carb diet, which is a much higher risk than finding yourself in ketoacidosis bc of diets.

It's like saying oh, don't exercise because you might get dehydrated. Uh? What? No. Exercise and be healthy, but just take precautions and drink water. lol

Great FB group: Keto for Badass Babes. So many people there and so many positive posts, before and after pics and menus and explanations. Good luck!

I've thought about this, and I'm doing low carb now. But giving it up completely sounds hard! Do you really never miss carbs or sugar?

oliveoil

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 1:20 pm
Not gonna quote everyone I want to reply to, but here are my thoughts:

1. There is a MAJOR detox period when you cut back on, or cut out, sugar and refined carbs. It's hard and expect it to be that way for at least two weeks, possibly more. But then it gets easier, and once it's out of your system, you really feel the effects when you do eat it, which makes it a lot easier to stick to.

2. Before you get to that stage, especially while you're still eating all that, it is hard, maybe impossible, to imagine life without. what will you eat, how will you be full, will you be miserable.

3. For me, a big part of it is just getting into the mindset of being aware of what I'm eating. If you've ever watched "secret eaters" (a british show) it really highlights how much we all (or most of us) eat without even noticing. I'm not even talking about making a judgement each time you eat whether it's a good choice or not. Just simply the awareness of what you're putting into your mouth. For me, this was a big one. I now write down everything I eat, just for myself, so I can look back and have an overall picture of what I've eaten in a day, a week etc.

4. Yes, there are people who don't eat, but those are not the people you want to emulate. You want to look for the people who eat and eat well but healthy. People are are not hungry all the time. Figure out what they're eating, and try that. But keep in mind that everyone is different, and you probably can't just slot into someone else's food plan without tailoring it to your own needs.

5. Re people not eating at simchas. I rarely eat at simchas, but that doesn't mean I don't treat myself and don't eat. I eat before I go, so I am not hungry. I don't find the food at simchas at all tempting. if there's something that catches my eye, I'll have it, but otherwise I'll save it for something that really appeals to me. Keep in mind that your tastes change when you eat less, or no, sugar. Once your taste buds adjust, you start to realize that 90% of cakes/cookies/other treats taste overwhelminly of sweetness (sugar) and often of margarine too, with very little actual flavor. So I'd rather make a calculated decisoin to enjoy a really good dessert, and enjoy it to the max, than to eat whatever's there just because it's there, and not really enjoy it because it all just tastes of sugar.

6. Sugar and refined carbs literally create a vicious cycle, where your body craves more and more and requires more to be satisfied. A lot of artificial sweetners also create cravings. You do not have to cut carbs altogether, in fact I'd not advise it. But stick to things like brown rice, quinoa, black or wild rice, barley or farro, maybe some matzah and melba toast type crackers (be careful with crackers though, a lot of them are garbage masquerading as health food), even a good whole wheat, spelt, ezekiel, or pumpernickle bread is fine for most people.

7. I am technically off sugar, dairy, and most refined carbs. But only 90%. For the first few months I did not touch those foods at all. For me, at least, once I'm in a good pattern, learning what my body needs, wants, and appreciates, and what it doesn't feel good with, then if I have the occasional craving for a food on my "off" list, it's ok, I can eat it, enjoy it, deal with the consequences, and go back to eating foods that are better for me. I don't consider these "cheats" or feel "guilty. I allow them and enjoy them.

8. Don't try to do all of nothing. For example, during the two weeks (or longer) that it takes to detox from sugar/dairy/refined carbs or whatever it is you're stopping, I wouldn't also try to reduce portion size, or dramatically increase exercise, or eat only kale. In fact, you will probably find yourself hungrier than usual, and that's ok. Go with it, eat as much as you need, find natural ways to curb some of the sugar cravings (fruit works for me, other people find it doesn't) and worry about the next step once your body has acclimated to being off sugar.

9. If you choose only one thing to reduce/cut out, choose sugar.

10. I've learned to eat until "not hungry" rather than eating until "full."

11. Realize that your body DOES need calories and does need fuel to run. Sometimes it needs more, sometimes it needs less. Denying your body what it actually needs is not good either. So all this tricking your body by drinking gallons of water, I don't subscribe to that. Drink a lot because your body needs hydrating, and yes, we often mistake thirst signals for hunger signals, but when you're actually hungry, it's your body saying, "hey lady, I need fuel to do my job", and then please eat!
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise