Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Basement bathroom

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:05 am
Has anyone here finished a basement with a bathroom?

All the contractors we have spoken with say we need an ejector pump toilet or an upflush). Which are electric.

How have you worked out the Shabbat issue? Also I guess anyone that lives in a basement apartment, do you not flush on Shabbos?

I would really appreciate the help working this out,

Thanks

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:16 am
We have an unfinished basement with a bathroom. It's very basic, just a toilet and a sink. I don't use it bc it's gross, but good to have backup in case of emergency. I never thought about shabbos issue.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:27 am
https://www.thespruce.com/sewa.....18941

sounds smelly & expensive

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:43 am
greenfire wrote:
https://www.thespruce.com/sewage-ejector-pump-2718941

sounds smelly & expensive

Yes this. If you have a basement bathroom you probably have one. It is built into the floor. I'm just trying to work out how to have one that you can use on Shabbos.

Most people with a basement bathroom have one. How do frum people deal with it?

I am truly mystified.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
Has anyone here finished a basement with a bathroom?

All the contractors we have spoken with say we need an ejector pump toilet or an upflush). Which are electric.

How have you worked out the Shabbat issue? Also I guess anyone that lives in a basement apartment, do you not flush on Shabbos?

I would really appreciate the help working this out,

Thanks

AYLOR.

http://www.yeshiva.co/ask/?id=7486

http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/?C.....D=114

(These things just make me curious. But FTR, our basement bathroom was above the level of the sewer lines, so no pump was needed.)

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 11:19 am
SixOfWands wrote:
AYLOR.

http://www.yeshiva.co/ask/?id=7486

http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/?CategoryID=250 &ArticleID=114

(These things just make me curious. But FTR, our basement bathroom was above the level of the sewer lines, so no pump was needed.)

Thanks, I saw those. The Yeshiva answer was inconclusive. I emailed zomet to find out of their product is available in the US, no answer yet.

But feel that there must be someone who has paskened on this and other than the two links you posted can't find a single thing on line. I feel like I must be missing something...

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Yes this. If you have a basement bathroom you probably have one. It is built into the floor. I'm just trying to work out how to have one that you can use on Shabbos.

Most people with a basement bathroom have one. How do frum people deal with it?

I am truly mystified.

not really ... just people who don't have a sewer line below them ... I have however seen this in brooklyn in an office & it's like going to an outhouse imnsho Puke

and the sewage ejector pump only goes on when the sump basin if filled to capacity [approx 30 gallons] so not every flush will turn it on

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 11:51 am
Many basement floors are still above the sewer line so then it's not an issue. I have also seen toilets and washing machines set on a raised area when the sewer line is slightly higher than the basement floor.

I've been told by a Shomer Shabbos plumber that the ejector pumps are OK, but will have to ask Star-K because this question has come up once or twice with my design clients.

happy12

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 12:33 pm
My sister dropped her sewer lines as she made bedrooms in the basement and her neighbors with up flushes says it is noisy and smelly. My sewer line was below the basement was above the sewer line.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:28 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Many basement floors are still above the sewer line so then it's not an issue. I have also seen toilets and washing machines set on a raised area when the sewer line is slightly higher than the basement floor

I've been told by a Shomer Shabbos plumber that the ejector pumps are OK, but will have to ask Star-K because this question has come up once or twice with my design clients.

Thanks for the star k idea! I called them and got a primary answer, with a call back coming. (Get a large tank and have a timer for Shabbos).

Also, re smell, design and noise that seems to be an issue for upflush toilets but not ones where the tank is underground.

Thanks everyone!

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 4:33 pm
My parents had a plumber come in that had some high tech equipment to locate the sewer line below the basement concrete. My father cut the concrete and plumbed in from above the line. The cost of the technology at the time was not expensive ($100) and I would think it wouldn't be much more today.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 5:52 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
My parents had a plumber come in that had some high tech equipment to locate the sewer line below the basement concrete. My father cut the concrete and plumbed in from above the line. The cost of the technology at the time was not expensive ($100) and I would think it wouldn't be much more today.

Our sewer line is actually about 2 feet above the basement floor. It runs along the wall to a house trap. It is too high for a platform (you'd be bumping your head on the ceiling when using the facilities) and too high to allow gravity to do its work. Oh well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics