Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
New trash cans for organic waste nyc- not big enough

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:41 am
The new trash cans the city distributed is not big enough. Now that we have to put in egg shells, food, paper dirtied with food, bones, pits, peels, shells, basically most of my garbage is now going to be going into this organic waste, but how are you fitting it all in. It needs to be full sized trash cans and they only gave a small brown one.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:02 pm
bump

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:05 pm
Write to your council member. They usually work to help with things like this.
Or start with 311. There may already be a protocol in place for obtaining a bigger bin

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jun 25 2017, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:43 pm
Are you sure you're supposed to include bones? Most composting programs specify no bones or other animal products except eggshells, just plant based materials such as vegetable peels, paper and cardboard. Animal waste is either too hard to break down or attracts rodents, or both. Do check the rules.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:45 pm
zaq wrote:
Are you sure you're supposed to include bones? Most composting programs specify no bones or other animal products except eggshells, just plant based materials such as vegetable peels, paper and cardboard. Animal waste is either too hard to break down or attracts rodents, or both. Do check the rules.

This is what it says online:

What Goes In the Brown Bin
Residents in buildings that receive organics collection can recycle the following materials in the brown bin.

Food

Vegetables and fruit
Prepared foods
Baked goods
Cereal, flour, grains, pasta, and rice
Eggs and eggshells
Dairy products
Meat, fish, bones and nuts
Food-Soiled Paper

Paper towels and napkins
Paper plates
Coffee filters and tea bags
Paper bags
Paper trays
Leaf + Yard Waste

Leaves
Grass clippings
Garden trimmings
Plants

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:49 pm
zaq wrote:

Large municipal composting efforts accept bones. Everything is put through a huge shredder so it's reduced to smaller pieces and biodegrades more quickly. Core temperatures in these piles reach 150F.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:50 pm
Lucky you! Except for plastic, glass, and metal that I assume you already recycle, that's just about everything. I would love to know that all my kitchen waste is being composted. Would make me feel much better about that furry fruit salad and funky chicken that goes in the can.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:54 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Large municipal composting efforts accept bones. Everything is put through a huge shredder so it's reduced to smaller pieces and biodegrades more quickly. Core temperatures in these piles reach 150F.

Ah, so. Thanks for the clarification. I wish we had this here. We don't even have the conventional plants-only composting.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 1:12 pm
Op this ain't happening is New Jersey yet. I'm wondering if there are more states that have this or NYC is the first. Anyone care to share?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 1:21 pm
zaq wrote:
Ah, so. Thanks for the clarification. I wish we had this here. We don't even have the conventional plants-only composting.

We don't really have it here in the capitol of recycling. I think they have it in the big city though. Locally we can put veggie refuse in the yard waste bin.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Op this ain't happening is New Jersey yet. I'm wondering if there are more states that have this or NYC is the first. Anyone care to share?

Washington state has had compost for a long time and much organic waste in recycling.
But I've been away for over a decade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics