Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos menu thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Lani22

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 12:21 am
[quote="happinessseeker"]
Quote:

What is the kosher version of flank steak? Is it skirt steak? I often see recipes for flank steak and am wondering what it would be called in the Kosher stores

It is deveined london broil

simcha4

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 2:48 am
amother wrote:
What is your recipe for olive dip? French onion dip? Can you please upload them?

easy recipe for olive dip -

can of pitted olives, put a bit of olive oil into the olives, then drain olives of all liquid
place olives into bowl and add about 3 T mayonaisse, blend with stick blender (or whatever blender u have)
you can either blend it until it becomes mushy but still has tiny pieces of olives in it, or blend to creamy texture
if want more olivey taste put less mayo. if prefer sharper taste, add 1 clove of garlic.

betayavon. L'Kavod Shabbos Kodesh Smile

simcha4

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 3:07 am
delicious 'n' easy recipe for pareve smoothie. Excellent for hot Shabbos summer days when a heavy dessert isn't appealing after a full Shabbos meal -

here goes:

1.5 liter bottle strawberry/banana juice (DON'T THROW AWAY EMPTY BOTTLE)
appr. 820 grams (net weight) can of halved peaches
1 pareve RICH

pour all ingreds. into a bowl and blend until smooth and foamy & no pieces of peaches left

to save on having to wash container - pour smoothie into the empty s/b bottle. Might not be big enough so I also use a disposable round 1 liter container.

Refrigerate until serving.

PAMOM

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 9:56 am
MagentaYenta--can you post the chowder recipe?
TIA

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 2:21 pm
PAMOM wrote:
MagentaYenta--can you post the chowder recipe?
TIA

I'm not big at recipes but I'll give it a try.

1 lb of dry smoked salmon for every 4 adults. Broken into chunks.
1 medium yukon gold (4oz) for every 4 adults. A nice neat medium dice
2C full fat milk for every 4 adults
2C fish stock for every 4 adults (DO NOT SUB CHICKEN STOCK OR USE
POWDERED JUNK)
3oz Onion or leek(white only) finely chopped for every four adults
1oz celery finely chopped for ever 4 adults.

Heavy cream
Saute the onion/leak and celery with the potatoes until the onions are limp. Do not brown. Toss this into a pot that contains the milk, salmon and fish stock. Gently cook until the potatoes are just about done and add heavy cream to your liking. Gently heat this through. You can add additional seasoning such as fresh sage, thyme and parsley, or even dill. In the summer my girls make this and throw it in the blender and call it 'fishyssoise' and serve it cold.

PAMOM

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 2:32 pm
MagentaYenta--have pity. How do I make fish stock? I can do the rest!

Others--feel free to chime in and help out.

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 5:46 am
MagentaYenta, can you post your rice bowls + chicken recipe?
Thanks!

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:40 pm
simcha4 wrote:
easy recipe for olive dip -

can of pitted olives, put a bit of olive oil into the olives, then drain olives of all liquid
place olives into bowl and add about 3 T mayonaisse, blend with stick blender (or whatever blender u have)
you can either blend it until it becomes mushy but still has tiny pieces of olives in it, or blend to creamy texture
if want more olivey taste put less mayo. if prefer sharper taste, add 1 clove of garlic.

betayavon. L'Kavod Shabbos Kodesh Smile

I add 1/2 a tiny bottle of capers to the mix.
It really adds something special

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 6:52 pm
This week or some strange reason I decided to make extra.
Hashgacha Pratis we are having guests.

Baked Salmon with Sweet Mustard Sauce
Israeli Salad
Kohl Rabi Waldorf salad
Grilled Japanese Eggplant slices
Avocado Heart of Palm salad

Shank steaks with lots of onions and mushrooms
Kibbe pie (store bought I had in the freezer)
Rice
Carrot Kugel (I had in the freezer)

For lunch same salads and fish

Chicken salad
Left overs from night before

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 9:16 pm
PAMOM wrote:
MagentaYenta--have pity. How do I make fish stock? I can do the rest!

Others--feel free to chime in and help out.

Get a fish head (serious) you can use a carp head but a salmon head works best. Throw it in a pot with a couple of pieces of celery and some peppercorns. Cook it down at a simmer and not a boil.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 9:28 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
MagentaYenta, can you post your rice bowls + chicken recipe?
Thanks!

This is so easy. Marinate some chicken thighs/bottoms, any marinade works.
BBQ, bake or grill. Boneless skinless pick your poison. Slice the meat into strips. Make some brown jasmine or basmati rice. I basicly make an Israeli salad, but I lightly salt it and let it sit out so it gets juicy

Take a bowl put in some rice and top it with a scoop of the wet salad and then chicken slices. The wet salad is important because you want all of those veggie juices to drip down to the rice. I also make sure there are plenty of onions in the salad, they give up a lot of liquid.

This is just a basic formula. You can kick it up a notch by adding a jar of salsa and a rinsed can of black beans (or any beans you choose). Or use any chopped salad recipe you like. I enjoy this with an Italian EVOO cole slaw too.

simcha4

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 3:14 pm
Gut Voch Smile

"cbg" what is capers?

tx

Very Happy 4

simcha4

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 3:26 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Get a fish head (serious) you can use a carp head but a salmon head works best. Throw it in a pot with a couple of pieces of celery and some peppercorns. Cook it down at a simmer and not a boil.

I actually cook carp fish heads for Shabbos/Yom Tov. Not only for Rosh Hashonah.
My family love eating them.
mmmm the ears are the best. Wink
and I'm always fascinated at its perfect dentistry Tongue Out

Often, I fill the heads with gefilte fish - looks nicer and more to eat.

If you buy carp heads, check with the storeowner that the heads have been checked for worms.

Re fish stock: you can also make it from large fish bones like the spine. Fish store owner will gladly give 'em to u Wink

simcha4

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 3:43 pm
Gut Voch Smile

our daughter b'H got married 3 weeks ago. Our new s-I-l only eats super-sharp salads and dips near the fish.

When I cook for Shabbos I like to make a dish, salad, that every person in our family who is eating by us, likes.
I do cook slightly spicy/sweet/salt blend, but we don't eat super-sharp stuff. We just end up choking over it and gasping Rolling Eyes

Help!!! does anyone have recipes for super-sharp dips and salads that I can make for my dear s-I-l? I'll make a small portion just for him. Better, if it can be frozen, so don't have to prepare every week.
And do I have to wear a gas mask when preparing it? Rolling Eyes
I find that when we cut the sharp green peppers for salads e.t.c. our throats catch and we end up coughing and coughing and coughing ... and drink loads of water until it soothes.

Am eagerly awaiting responses. I want that our s-I-l should have what to eat at our Shabbos
seudahs.

thanxaload

mamaleh

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:17 pm
simcha4 wrote:
Gut Voch Smile

our daughter b'H got married 3 weeks ago. Our new s-I-l only eats super-sharp salads and dips near the fish.

When I cook for Shabbos I like to make a dish, salad, that every person in our family who is eating by us, likes.
I do cook slightly spicy/sweet/salt blend, but we don't eat super-sharp stuff. We just end up choking over it and gasping Rolling Eyes

Help!!! does anyone have recipes for super-sharp dips and salads that I can make for my dear s-I-l? I'll make a small portion just for him. Better, if it can be frozen, so don't have to prepare every week.
And do I have to wear a gas mask when preparing it? Rolling Eyes
I find that when we cut the sharp green peppers for salads e.t.c. our throats catch and we end up coughing and coughing and coughing ... and drink loads of water until it soothes.

Am eagerly awaiting responses. I want that our s-I-l should have what to eat at our Shabbos
seudahs.

thanxaload

Try buying a hot salsa and some red schug. Blend equal parts salsa and mayo with a bit of the schug (the more schug you add, the sharper it will be). Red pepper flakes could work in place of the schug. You can add some vinegar, too, if needed. This should last for a long time (think months) in the fridge and might be what he's looking for without you feeling the pain.

ETA I just realized that, based on your post time, you are prob in E"Y where salsa is not readily available. Schug, mayo, vinegar, salt (add garlic if you want/if he likes it) blended together can also work (if it's too thick add a bit of hot water).
In terms of salads, try a marinated salad that's heavy on the vinegar (and garlic). That should also last a while in the fridge.

Last edited by mamaleh on Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

cbg

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:32 pm
simcha4 wrote:
Gut Voch Smile

"cbg" what is capers?

tx

Very Happy 4

The best way to describe them is they are tiny tiny olives, the size of peppercorns, that have a strong briny salty taste

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 12:57 am
This week I made a really simple shabbos:
Challah (freezer)
homemade tomato dip
Store bought chummus
Pickled salmon
Chicken soup (freezer)
BBQ chicken
Ran out of time for side dishes

Challah (freezer)
Leftover pickled salmon
Chulent
Deli salad
Egg Salad

rachel0615

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:31 pm
Reviving! We moved so it was a while before I started making normal shabbos meals!

Fri night:
Chicken soup and Matzah balls

Challa with spinach dip and avocado dip

Cranberry chicken
Onion rice
Potato kugel
Sesame broccoli
Pastrami and grilled veggie salad

Guest is bringing dessert

Shabbos:
Leftovers
Cholent

Shavua tov!

pesek zman

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:47 pm
rachel0615 wrote:
Reviving! We moved so it was a while before I started making normal shabbos meals!

Fri night:
Chicken soup and Matzah balls

Challa with spinach dip and avocado dip

Cranberry chicken
Onion rice
Potato kugel
Sesame broccoli
Pastrami and grilled veggie salad

Guest is bringing dessert

Shabbos:
Leftovers
Cholent

Shavua tov!

You have the Shabbos menu set on Sunday night?

rachel0615

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 10:23 am
I do because I work ft and it makes it easier for me to be able to cook for shabbos gradually over the week.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus