Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get newborn on a good schedule and routine

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 10:48 pm
My newborn (2 and a half weeks) already has his strong preferences Very Happy

He likes his big crib better than his small, cozy bassinet. Problem: the crib is in the nursery, but I want him to sleep in my room at night until 6 weeks. The crib is too large to fit in my room.

He likes falling asleep on his tummy. Problem: I don't want to have to wait until he falls asleep every night and then turn him to his back. I want to be able to put him in his crib/bassinet/whatever while he is still awake (but drowsy) and have him fall asleep on his back, on his own.

He sleeps for two long (up to 4 hour) stretches during the day but at night he wakes up about every 2 hours
Problem: I'm tired!!! (He's b"H gaining weight above and beyond what is expected. I'm certain that he's eating enough and I don't have to wake him.)

So how can I get him into a good routine and schedule?
I exclusively breastfeed, if that makes any difference.

Pickle1

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:25 pm
don't faint - but I let all my babies sleep on their stomach..all 5. all survived bh. (my mother did the same all 8 survived) Dr shanik says as long as the sheet is pulled tight and matress is firm, and there's nothing in the crib that can possibly move around to suffocate u are safe , ( I tuck blanket tightly into sides of mattress ) a tip that worked for my kids and worked for many ppl I know of - to help baby sleep longer stretches at night is the following :
pick 12 hrs a day u don't want to busy with baby - I did 7pm -7am. during those 12 hrs u do whatever u normally do to take care of baby just in the dark. nurse, change, rock etc (u can open small night lamp or door for a min to diaper or find s/t). then during the day - everything in the bright light. after 2-3 nights of doing this perfectly (no cheating) its magic - the baby will sleep through the night only get up for feedings and go right back to sleep! and the stetches btw feedings will slowly get longer. I started this by my 2nd kid and he was only getting up once a night for feeding. and don't worry - still was sleepig plenty during the day just for some reason its a lighter sleep - this trick really works. and baby was so much more content
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics