Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is it kosher?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 10:53 pm
Fill me on cz I dont know ... eating kosher.. 1 of the things about kosher cooking is the jew must light the fire/turn on the oven.... so how are we allowed to eat popcorn by movie theater?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
Fill me on cz I dont know ... eating kosher.. 1 of the things about kosher cooking is the jew must light the fire/turn on the oven.... so how are we allowed to eat popcorn by movie theater?

You're not?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:18 pm
Quote:
http://www.yeshiva.co/ask/?id=6282

Quote:
Nisan 8, 5773
Popcorn at the cinema

Rabbi David Sperling

Question:

Is it permissible to buy popcorn from a non Jewish cinema since popcorn in itself is normally kosher?

Answer:

Although questions of whether a product is kosher or not should generally be answered by kashrut organizations that are familiar with the particular situations in every case - none the less I did some research and found that the halacha is not to eat popcorn sold without kosher supervision.
On one of the major kashrut sites (Star-K) it writes as follows "Concession Stand Popcorn - Many are under the assumption that one may purchase popcorn at the concession stand of various entertainment and sports venues. Unless that stand is under a reliable hashgacha, which is highly unlikely, this is absolutely incorrect. Popcorn is made with hot oil, which always needs hashgacha. Even if the current oil being used is kosher, there is no guarantee that a non- kosher oil or flavoring was not previously used, rendering the equipment and all subsequent popcorn not kosher."
Blessings.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:20 pm
Not commenting on whether the popcorn Ingredients are kosher or not but in terms of bishul akum, it doesn't apply to food that wouldn't be served on a king's table, so many would say that popcorn fits that category, nor exactly something you serve at a nice meal.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:24 pm
BTW Rav David Sperling is awesome and amazing and the one who taught me that it is very easy to say something is assur and you need to know a lot more Torah to be able to say something is muttar and he would never assur something just because he couldn't be bothered working out a way to be matir if that is what was required, iykwim.

Really really awesome Rabbi.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 11:43 pm
Why
Did
You
Hug
My
Post?????

Explain yourself. Even if you are too scared to say who you are.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:41 am
Why do you think that it is muttar?
You just gave a reason that it is assur.
We only bought prepackaged snacks at theaters, cinemas, parks, etc.
There is non-kosher food served there, who is making sure that nothing mixes?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:54 am
amother wrote:
Who ever told you that you are allowed to have the pop corn in a theater, not in Israel?
Besides for the issue you mentioned, whatever butter it may be popped with is almost definitely not going to be kosher.
We grew up, MO, knowing that we could not have the pop corn. We always brought our own baggies of treats for the movies.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 26 2017, 6:30 am
Rav Wolff allows popcorn by ingredients. http://www.chiourim.com/wp-con.....0.jpg before people say he is "not religious"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions