Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are jeans OK for a costume for a bocher?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 4:42 pm
red sea wrote:
Cant he do a mechanic or Indian or Pirate or a biker? Now s/t like that would say "Costume".

My brother wore jeans for one day, on Purim, as a costume. When a yeshiva bachur who wears a white shirt and dark pants, a jacket, and a hat year round, wears jeans and a T-shirt, maybe a necklace and carries a boombox and holds a cigarette, it's his costume. The fact that others wear it as their daily clothing doesn't make it not a costume for him.

If someone dresses up as a fireman and wears the boots, coat and hat and carries a hose, it's a costume. The fact that actual firemen wear these things, doesn't make it not a costume for him.

Obviously, if something is your regular garb, it's not your costume. And if it's not someone's regular garb, it is.

Quote:
The night activities director wears his costume all day. Sometimes he is chosen to tutor boys who don't want to learn because they see him as the "fun" guy.

southernbubby - if your son needs to wear his costume all day for weeks of camp, then I don't think it's correct to call it a costume. I would call it his night activity director outfit.

If he or anybody in camp wore jeans in a play, I would think it's okay for it's a costume. But all day? For weeks? Not appropriate IMO.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 4:43 pm
p.s. Since you always have shidduchim on your mind - do you (or he) want him to be remembered as the guy who wore jeans for a summer? Will people remember that it was meant to be a costume?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 4:45 pm
GR wrote:
Actually last Purim I saw hate being sold with lange payos attached to them and I thought it was pretty disgusting.

you mean a hat?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 7:02 pm
The "costumes" are just silly combinations such as plaid with stripes, oversized clothes, shirts with tropical scenes, bright colored sports coats, etc. Most of the pants are nerdy dress pants. There is only one pair of blue jeans and one of black jeans in the bunch. He is going to ask the director before wearing them because he would not wear them on Purim ("I don't do jeans").
Motek, you are right about the concerns with shidduchim but I think he will really get a nice girl anyway because he is a good son and a real mentsch!

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 7:08 pm
southernbubby wrote:
He is going to ask the director before wearing them because he would not wear them on Purim ("I don't do jeans").

Why should he ask? Why should he wear them?
unless they're overalls or big and baggy and he wears them with suspenders, clearly a costume

The other stuff sounds fine.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 9:05 pm
chabad summer seminaries

Beaupreau, France, 1980

Culnat, France, 1979

the dress code seemed laxer.... (colored shirt, no hat, short sleeves, I think I also see jeans)

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 9:25 pm
Quote:
the dress code seemed laxer.... (colored shirt, no hat, short sleeves, I think I also see jeans)

Ruchel, excuse me for laughing. Looks to me like there is one guy who doesn't look like the others and notice he has no beard either. That doesn't say anything about a laxer dress code. It means that someone who isn't a Lubavitcher is learning along with them.
Besides, I'm not sure what short sleeves has to do with anything, and there is no minhag to wear your hat 24 hours. As far as colored shirts, men have been wearing colored shirts for decades.
Where are those pictures from anyhow?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 23 2007, 9:32 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:

Ruchel, excuse me for laughing. Looks to me like there is one guy who doesn't look like the others and notice he has no beard either. That doesn't say anything about a laxer dress code. It means that someone who isn't a Lubavitcher is learning along with them.
Besides, I'm not sure what short sleeves has to do with anything, and there is no minhag to wear your hat 24 hours. As far as colored shirts, men have been wearing colored shirts for decades.
Where are those pictures from anyhow?

I doubt someone not Lubavich would have been at these seminaries, but who knows... ok.
As for short sleeves and colored shirts, I have heard many time people saying it is not supposed to be worn in Chabad, and the hat is supposed to be on all the time. Maybe they all lied, who knows.
The pictures are from a French chabad site,hassidout.org.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:06 am
In Lub., we say the summers are no different. It's not a vacation from tsnius.

This years I got several polo shirts (tee shirts with collars) for casual wear and I am really happy because I know none of me is showing, no matter what sheeta you hold by!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 11:57 am
chocolate moose wrote:
In Lub., we say the summers are no different. It's not a vacation from tsnius.

exactly what I meant, thank you! I so don't see Lubavich bochurim dressed like above around me.

Motek

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 7:16 pm
Ruchel wrote:
As for short sleeves and colored shirts, I have heard many time people saying it is not supposed to be worn in Chabad

the Rebbe wore short sleeves, and plenty chasidim do too, no rule about that

colored shirts - yeshivas have a rule of white shirts for bachurim bar mitzva age and up

Quote:
and the hat is supposed to be on all the time

for davening, along with their jacket, and when out on the street

other times - optional

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 1:22 pm
Motek wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
As for short sleeves and colored shirts, I have heard many time people saying it is not supposed to be worn in Chabad

the Rebbe wore short sleeves, and plenty chasidim do too, no rule about that

colored shirts - yeshivas have a rule of white shirts for bachurim bar mitzva age and up

Quote:
and the hat is supposed to be on all the time

for davening, along with their jacket, and when out on the street

other times - optional

Interesting! thank you
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children