Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Paying household help on vs. off the books

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:39 am
Why would I have to pay household help (cleaning help/childcare) on the books?

Isn't it their responsibility to pay taxes on their income?

Aren't they getting paid for providing a service, like independent contractors, and not employees?

Why are they different than paying the plumber or electrician?

Why is this always the litmus test of honesty?

What about drop off babysitters? How does that differ?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:08 am
I agree. I pay her. It's her responsibility to pay taxes.

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:16 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I agree. I pay her. It's her responsibility to pay taxes.

Not so simple, my dear.

Does she have set hours she comes to you? Does she get a set salary or the same per-hour wage each week? How are her responsibilities enumerated - does she have jobs she must complete or do you tell her each thing separately? Do you pay her after every day of work or at the end of the week or month?

All of these questions plus more will determine if she's considered your employee and thus YOU must pay appropriate employers taxes or if she's like a plumber whom you are paying for a one-time service..

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:20 am
She usually comes the same days, but she switches on me whenever she feels like it. I actually don't give her jobs for the most part. She always knows what to do. Something's she does steady, some things she does occasionally. She stays longer some days and shorter other days. I usually pay her everyday, but sometimes I leave before her so I pay her next time. Her set up is not like that of a salaried worker. Most definitely not.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:26 am
Y'all might want to do a bit more research. Start with this: https://www.homeworksolutions......ekly/

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
She usually comes the same days, but she switches on me whenever she feels like it. I actually don't give her jobs for the most part. She always knows what to do. Something's she does steady, some things she does occasionally. She stays longer some days and shorter other days. I usually pay her everyday, but sometimes I leave before her so I pay her next time. Her set up is not like that of a salaried worker. Most definitely not.

The law decides that.

There was actually a story in one of the Jewish magazines a while back about a cleaning lady who slipped on the ice in front of the house, and how she sued the woman she used to work for. Among the charges brought against the employer was the lack of employment benefits and 1.5 pay for overtime. She was also suing for payment of her medical care and disability.

There was no signed contract. Nothing that resembled a salaried worker, like you suggest. But the lawyers found cell phone texts and some other details (such as set days, etc. ) as proof of her being an employee.

My point is that almost nobody is solidly clean, and when the government wants to come after you, it's very easy to find something on almost everyone.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:30 am
I believe there is a legal amount, over which income must be reported by the employer.

AIUI, there is also a legal amount (I think it's $400), over which the employee must report earnings. If a person is self employed, they are responsible for reporting their income, if it's over that amount.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Y'all might want to do a bit more research. Start with this: https://www.homeworksolutions......ekly/

Thank you! This has been really helpful!
What about babysitters that are not consistent?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:15 am
pause wrote:
The law decides that.

There was actually a story in one of the Jewish magazines a while back about a cleaning lady who slipped on the ice in front of the house, and how she sued the woman she used to work for. Among the charges brought against the employer was the lack of employment benefits and 1.5 pay for overtime. She was also suing for payment of her medical care and disability.

There was no signed contract. Nothing that resembled a salaried worker, like you suggest. But the lawyers found cell phone texts and some other details (such as set days, etc. ) as proof of her being an employee.

My point is that almost nobody is solidly clean, and when the government wants to come after you, it's very easy to find something on almost everyone.

I agree with your last point. Which is why I wish everyone would get off their high horse. My husband told me that on average, people break 4 laws a day.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:16 am
If you pay an independent contractor more than $600 a year you need to get their social security number and give them a 1099 which would require them to report their income since you file it with the IRS. I can't say I know anyone who does this for their babysitters/ cleaning lady.

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:41 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I agree with your last point. Which is why I wish everyone would get off their high horse. My husband told me that on average, people break 4 laws a day.

This.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:48 am
mommyhood wrote:
If you pay an independent contractor more than $600 a year you need to get their social security number and give them a 1099 which would require them to report their income since you file it with the IRS. I can't say I know anyone who does this for their babysitters/ cleaning lady.

not required. Only if you are a business, or self -employed and paying someone for services related to your work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics