Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need a pediatric ophthalmologist who takes Jersey Care

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:33 pm
We need an ophthalmologist who sees little kids (3-4 yrs old). I live Lakewood .... called places around here and they only see kids ages 7 and older. I did get an appointment for September (!) with a top dr but he does not take United Health and it is $210 for the appointment. Anyone know who I can go to who is good diagnosing little kids and takes our insurance? Thanks!

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:36 pm
Your pediatrician's office should be able to advise you. That's where I turn when I need such advice. They have so many patients on Jersey Care, they already know who accepts it and who they recommend.

L K

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:55 pm
Try dr Engels office, (732) 613-9191.
Iirc, they used to take both jersey care united and horizon.
Of course, double check with them.

They're actually hard to get into with an older kid, they're more likely to see a little one.
You may want to specify over the phone why you're davka seeing an ophthalmologist rather than a simple optometrist. With some kids, I had to kind of prove my case so they would agree to see them, but again, that was true for "older" ones.

Hatzlacha!!

Last edited by L K on Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

real

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:55 pm
Dr. Bruce shnal- he is really top in his field

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:20 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Your pediatrician's office should be able to advise you. That's where I turn when I need such advice. They have so many patients on Jersey Care, they already know who accepts it and who they recommend.

yes, I left a message for the referral department but haven't heard back yet.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:24 pm
L K wrote:
Try dr Engels office, (732) 613-9191.
Iirc, they used to take both jersey care united and horizon.
Of course, double check with them.

They're actually hard to get into with an older kid, they're more likely to see a little one.
You may want to specify over the phone why you're davka seeing an ophthalmologist rather than a simple optometrist. With some kids, I had to kind of prove my case so they would agree to see them, but again, that was true for "older" ones.

Hatzlacha!!

Thank you - I never heard of him. May I asked who recommended this dr. for you? How do you "prove" your case?

L K

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you - I never heard of him. May I asked who recommended this dr. for you? How do you "prove" your case?

My pediatrician did, and I trust him.
Dr Engel's is a group of real operating doctors who specialize in pediatric ophthalmology (may we never need that level of care).

They've been managing one of my kid's uneven vision w/farsightedness in one eye, and my two other kids go there as well, for follow up on astigmatism and myopia.

A friend of mine had her child operated on by dr Engel for strabismus, if I remember correctly. I think it went well.

Just be ready to explain (if they ask) why it is that you want to see an ophthalmologist, and not an optometrist. Some of the possible answers may be a child's young age (my optometrist wouldn't see a child under 4 or 5, not sure), or uneven vision (one eye significantly weaker than other), or suspected strabismus, lazy eye, or the pediatrician's insistence on seeing an ophthalmologist.

Again, they may not even ask you that if your child's young age serves as an entry to their practice.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:40 pm
L K wrote:
My pediatrician did, and I trust him.
Dr Engel's is a group of real operating doctors who specialize in pediatric ophthalmology (may we never need that level of care).

They've been managing one of my kid's uneven vision w/farsightedness in one eye, and my two other kids go there as well, for follow up on astigmatism and myopia.

A friend of mine had her child operated on by dr Engel for strabismus, if I remember correctly. I think it went well.

Just be ready to explain (if they ask) why it is that you want to see an ophthalmologist, and not an optometrist. Some of the possible answers may be a child's young age (my optometrist wouldn't see a child under 4 or 5, not sure), or uneven vision (one eye significantly weaker than other), or suspected strabismus, lazy eye, or the pediatrician's insistence on seeing an ophthalmologist.

Again, they may not even ask you that if your child's young age serves as an entry to their practice.

thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics