Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Spices

busymother

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:29 pm
I'm on a crazy diet where I'm basically only allowed to eat fruit, veggies, chicken and meat. I love oil and salt but looking for new ways to spice dishes for more flavor. Salads, roasted veggies etc. Dont like spicy so no black pepper or stuff like that.
TIA!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:41 pm
Chili powder is delicious mixed with garlic powder and salt.
Smoked paprika or smoked garlic powder.
Cumin, garlic, salt.
Cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, salt.
Za'atar.
Hawaij.
Fresh garlic, fresh basil, kosher salt.

Kosher salt is so tasty even on its own. Mixed with fresh crushed garlic and olive oil it makes everything taste great. I use it almost exclusively in all my seasoning and cooking.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:41 pm
Smoked paprika is an interesting alternative on roasted veggies like cauliflower or potatoes.

I like herbed marinades as well, as in mix a bit of olive oil with lots of dried herbs (rosemary, oregano, basil, parsley, etc.)

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 8:44 pm
Sumac, it has a tart almost lemony taste. Find it in Middle Eastern stores. I love it on chicken or rice or in a salad dressing.

Oh and for fruit salads try some finely minced (organic) lavendar.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:28 pm
Yes to above spices. I also love fresh basil and cilantro in salads. I like herbs de Provence with Lavender with protein. Veggies are good roasted With red onion and Dijon or coarse ground mustard. I like making dressing with tehina and orange juice, ginger and garlic. Coconut Aminos are great for flavoring protein and veggies ( a sweeter more subtle soy sauce taste imo).

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:29 pm
Also Trader Joe's has a chili lime mix that I love on fruit, sweet potatoes and chicken

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:45 am
If you don't like pepper, try herbs.

busymother

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 7:45 pm
I'm going to print this out and hang it in my kitchen! Thank you all for the great ideas. So excited about the coconut aminos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus