Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you answer the phone if you don't recognize the number?
Previous  1  2

salt

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:25 am
I answer, but I wouldn't call back a missed call to a number I don't recognise. And I wouldn't rush to answer if I'm in the middle of something, whereas I might if it was someone I know (and want to speak to).

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 7:17 am
Generally not unless I'm waiting for a call (but I never pick up the ones w random area codes bec those are always telemarketers)

lfab

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:02 am
If I'm available I'll answer, which means usually I don't. If I'm at work or busy with my kids I won't answer if I don't recognize the number. Between those 2 that's most of my day. So if I happen to get a call from a number I don't recognize from about 8-10 at night I'll answer, otherwise they can leave a message and if it's important I'll call back.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 10:56 am
Typically no. If I am waiting for a call back (like a doctor, insurance company etc) I will. But I get a ton of robo calls and if they hear a humans voice, some of the computer systems will register it is a real number and will keep it on the list.
I miss the days of the do not disturb list. Or when it actually worked before spoofers and spammers....

Miri7

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:08 pm
It depends on where my children are and what is going on that day.

Typically, no, because I get too many robo calls.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 12:12 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Typically no. If I am waiting for a call back (like a doctor, insurance company etc) I will. But I get a ton of robo calls and if they hear a humans voice, some of the computer systems will register it is a real number and will keep it on the list.
I miss the days of the do not disturb list. Or when it actually worked before spoofers and spammers....

It is illegal to call a private cellphone number without permission. The numbers can be saved and the company sued. There are actually people who make a business out of this.
(Dh was trying to get a telemarketing system in place for his business, and this is a problem he bumped into.)
You can google the number to see if it's legit or not.

farm

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:37 pm
Nope. If it's important they will leave a message.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:50 pm
Iymnok wrote:
It is illegal to call a private cellphone number without permission. The numbers can be saved and the company sued. There are actually people who make a business out of this.
(Dh was trying to get a telemarketing system in place for his business, and this is a problem he bumped into.)
You can google the number to see if it's legit or not.

It's a waste of time. We've tried and the numbers that come up are actually not the numbers that the call is coming from. They have a system that makes the ID show bogus numbers.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's a waste of time. We've tried and the numbers that come up are actually not the numbers that the call is coming from. They have a system that makes the ID show bogus numbers.

You may not be able to find the owner of the number, but you can find discussion from others complaining about calls from that number identifying the company.
You can also gat that info from answering the call.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 3:01 pm
why such negative vibes on this forum regarding tzedakkah calls????

Yes, there are a lot of people who are very needy, and not all of them are pushy and nag.

Also organizations who phone asking for tzedakkah: what's the problem????
Do you realize Hashem is actually placing into our lap the opportunity to do the mitzvah of tzadakkah, and if one is not financially able to donate (my husband and I, for example) I say, "I would love to donate to your worthy org. You are doing great stuff. But, unfortunately we are not in the position to do so."
And if they try with, "perhaps a small sum $18 monthly withdrawn from your bank account?"
I tell the truth - we don't have bank accounts.
(And I'm reallly glad that we don't have bank accounts, thus we can't rake up enormous debts via using credit cards and checks. Of course this I don't tell them, this was just for the topic on hand. True it's diffficult living this way, but in the long run, we're doing ourselves a big favor.)
Then, before the tzedakah caller can continue, I finish off by saying, "the most I can donate is 10nis. I really would like to help your org. so can u send s/one to fetch the 10nis, pls.)
I do refuse to mail it. I don't mail money.

But the whole converdsation is conducted politely and with warmth and I praise them for the mitzvah their org. is doing.

Please note: of course, firstly, I check and ask questions about the org. to ckeck that it is a legitimate one.

I really do not undetstand why the negativity here re tzedakah callers???

With everything in life: a message can be gotten across in a firm, polite and nice manner.
One does not have to be nasty!

jkl

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
why such negative vibes on this forum regarding tzedakkah calls????

The negatives vibes are due to the manner in which these calls are generally conducted.

1 - Why is the Caller ID information hidden? Is it an attempt to trick us into answering the phones, knowing that we wouldn't be answering the phone otherwise?. This creates a negative emotion.

2 - Please don't tell me that I contributed $100 last year to an organization I've never heard of before. This tactic has become very old and creates an even a greater negative response.

3 - Continuing to push the tzedakah cause after I've stated that this is a very inconvenient time also creates negativity.

4 - And this is something I've always wondered about - if my number is listed on the do-not-call list, does an organization think I'll be very agreeable to accepting unwanted calls, donate money to an organization I've never heard about, with no way to verify the cause and provide my credit card info to the stranger on the other end of the line?

That said, I usually try to be very civil and hang up the phone without hurting anyone. But how I wish I could mouth off to someone about the local robocalls peddling the local sales! They are legally required to abide by the do-not-call list but completely ignore it. They take advantage of us just because they know that none of us will report them. They very well know how annoying they are, otherwise why would they constantly be changing their caller ID to circumvent the blocking of their numbers?

leopardspots

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 7:32 pm
Sometimes I answer numbers I don't recognize, but I never answer "unknown" calls.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 7:20 am
jkl wrote:
The negatives vibes are due to the manner in which these calls are generally conducted.

1 - Why is the Caller ID information hidden? Is it an attempt to trick us into answering the phones, knowing that we wouldn't be answering the phone otherwise?. This creates a negative emotion.

2 - Please don't tell me that I contributed $100 last year to an organization I've never heard of before. This tactic has become very old and creates an even a greater negative response.

3 - Continuing to push the tzedakah cause after I've stated that this is a very inconvenient time also creates negativity.

4 - And this is something I've always wondered about - if my number is listed on the do-not-call list, does an organization think I'll be very agreeable to accepting unwanted calls, donate
money to an organization I've never heard about, with no way to verify the cause and provide my credit card info to the stranger on the other end of the line?

That said, I usually try to be very civil and hang up the phone without hurting anyone. But how I wish I could mouth off to someone about the local robocalls peddling the local sales!

They are legally required to abide by the do-not-call list but completely ignore it. They take advantage of us just because they know that none of us will report them. They very well

know how annoying they are, otherwise why would they constantly be changing their caller ID

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I totally understand.

to circumvent the blocking of their numbers?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics