Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sand for kids

Maryann

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:31 pm
I've heard about some type of sand maybe kinesthetic sand? Its colorful and doesn't make much of a mess?
I can't remember what it's called,
Does anyone know what I am talking about?

My 6 year old son loves playing with things and touching every. He always plays with the baby's powder formula behind my back.. I was thinking maybe I could buy him some of this 'sand' he will love it.

Tia

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:37 pm
Kinetic sand. Lots of options and price ranges, so I don't want to post a specific link for you.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:37 pm
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kin.....h=sem

I think it's called kinetic sand. I've never tried it but I have a few kids who seem like they would enjoy it. Maybe I'll order some too!

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:40 pm
Also, if he likes playing with the powder you can get a 50lb bag of sand from Home Depot foe $5 and put some in a large container. He can add water to mold it (leave uncovered to dry) or just play in the sand. Because there is so much more it provides a different sensory experience. My kids have plyed with expensive therapy kinetic sand, regular sand, and sand "recipes" fron pinterest. They enjoy them all.

Maryann

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 9:44 pm
Thanks so much! You are all so helpful!

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 11:30 pm
Kinetic sand definitely. I've seen some knockoff brands and find the texture very irritating but the original is great. And it really does clean up 10x more easily than regular sand.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:02 am
seeker- have you tried the DIY kinetic sand? I saw a blog post about it but never tried it...

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:42 am
I've tried the diy version. Definitely not the same. DS loved playing with it, but it acted like moldable sand on the beach, whixh is fine, bur not kinetic . And it smells after a few days.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:49 am
Is kinetic the same as real sand? Just cleaner?

aussie2

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:52 am
It is a slightly different texture than real sand.. I do find if it spills on the floor it can make the tiles slippery..(you end up losing a drop each time they play w/ it.. similar to play dough..)

We filled up a sand tray and they are only allowed to play with it in the tray that way the table doesn't get all sandy and we lose less of it..
They love it.. and my sensory child definitely relaxes while playing with it but I don't take it out that often because it does make a mess.. (unless you have really calm children who will just play with it nicely by the table and not attempt to test your limits..)

Maryann

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:54 am
Im asking bc I see the kinetic sand is so expensive, maybe if texture is Same I'll just buy regular sand and keep it on my porch

country

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 2:47 pm
I bought sands alive and it was awful it ended up everywhere and made a huge mess! I let my kids play with play dough paint ... im not a neat freak but this was awful I through it out after 2 days

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 7:46 pm
Maryann wrote:
Im asking bc I see the kinetic sand is so expensive, maybe if texture is Same I'll just buy regular sand and keep it on my porch

It is not the same texture at all especially for a sensitive person.
I bought mine by stacking sale+coupon at Michael's. It goes on sale pretty often. Coupons valid on sales are less often but even without a coupon it's under $10 for over a pound, my kids were happy with one package but even happier with two, we keep it in a plastic bin so it doesn't get lost so easily and it lasts almost forever.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 7:54 pm
I ended up buying a huge bag from home depot today.. My kids are absolutely loving it!!! Thx everyone

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:19 pm
Didn't know Home Depot sold huge bags of it, good news!
I never tried DIY.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 8:34 pm
Yes and it was $4.47

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:19 pm
You mean regular sand from honedepot, right?
You can try this: 5 c sand, 3 c flour, 1 c oil. He can make "sandcastles" with cups.
And I'm so happy they like it! Dont try the above yet, only when they are ready for something new. Have fun!

mango

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 9:52 pm
Maryann wrote:
I ended up buying a huge bag from home depot today.. My kids are absolutely loving it!!! Thx everyone

That's what we have in a sand table (that someone who was moving gave us) on our porch with a variety of sand toys and it keeps my kids busy for a while, they love it. I also have a very sensory son who gets into things when I'm not looking. When they are done we sweep up what fell on the floor and put it back in, the sand lasts for ages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children