Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Washing on Shabbos

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 10:52 pm
If you have a heter to not wash on Shabbos, what was it based on?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:32 pm
I assume health.

What other valid reason could someone have for not engaging in an unbelievably important mitzvah?

Health trumps everything.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:39 pm
Yes, but to what extent does challah have to be unhealthy for you to be exempt?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:55 pm
I'm no rav, but probably VERY.

EX: If you have celiac or severe gluten intolerance, diabetes, etc.

I would imagine that if you just "don't want to gain weight" that's not a great excuse. (Although you'd never know it from recent threads on this site.)

Although I'm sure you could find a rav to give a heter... you can always find one if you want. But if you want a really reliable rav to give you one, you will probably really need it.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jun 28 2017, 11:58 pm
I suffer from PTSD that has a religious component to it. It puts me at risk for various "things", and The prevention is to avoid stress at all costs. When I am having a stress attack, I don't wash, so I don't have to worry about benching. My rav told me that it is better for me not to wash at all, then To skip benching, and I can't bench if there is a possibility of a trigger.

Basically, it boils down to the following:
If I'm stressed out in any way, I don't wash.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:19 am
I've never heard of anyone asking for a heter.

I feel like if you eat bread during the week, you have no excuse not to wash on Shabbos. But if you never eat bread (presumably because it makes you feel unwell to some degree), then it's fine to skip it on Shabbos.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:30 am
I googled and found this discussion

https://judaism.stackexchange......abbos

There is a requirement to eat bread for first two meals of Shabbos, as per the Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim Siman 274:4.

However, the Mishna Berura Siman 291:1 Sif Katan 3 notes that Shabbos meals were given for oneg meaning pleasure, not for tzar meaning pain or unpleasantness.

The sefer Shemiras Shabbos K'Hilchasa therefore rules in chapter 54 paragraph 35 that someone who is concerned that Shabbos food even may damage him is exempt for eating that food. This of course includes bread, as the entire chapter there is dealing with the requirement to eat bread on Shabbos.

For further reading, see the footnotes there in Shabbos K'Hilchasa where he brings the Mishna Berura Siman 288:1 Sif Katan 3 that eating food which you know will damage you may even be forbidden.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:21 am
I don't eat bread all week, nor on Shabbos. I feel fatigued and bloated if I eat bread.
I don't know if today's bread is considered bread , what with the gmo grains and whatever chemicals are in the stuff we call challah and bread, but that's beside the point.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
Yes, but to what extent does challah have to be unhealthy for you to be exempt?

Diabetes. For example.

I know someone who had gestational diabetes and couldn't eat a banana without her glucose levels rising out of control. Forget about challah

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 9:17 am
Am I the only one who thought this thread was about bathing kids or washing clothes?

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:18 am
jflower wrote:
Am I the only one who thought this thread was about bathing kids or washing clothes?

Not at all. I'd be surprised if you and I were alone on this planet.
when OP asked about getting a heter not to wash on Shabbos I thought it was a humorous thread, like the "fresh thread" thread. Who says Purim Torah must be limited to Purim? I didn't realize the question was serious till the post mentioning diabetes.

I don't know why people talk about "washing" when what they mean is "eating bread". AFAIK you can be obligated to wash netilat yadayim if you are kovea seudah even without bread.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:30 am
I always have gestational diabetes and while I'm able to eat the bare minimum required at first, usually after 32/33 weeks it gets harder to control and at that point I don't eat even the required minimum. And yes, this is the psak from my Rav.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:49 pm
jflower wrote:

No,it took me a full,minute to chap LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions