Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you recognize who is underneath an anon posts?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:20 am
crust wrote:
Ok. Now I at least understand where you are coming from.
So your concern is that my mechutunim might hear through ima that my child has a serious condition ch"v that I'm not disclosing? I hope and pray that if theres anything they have to hear, as long as I'm in full consciousness they should not have to hear anything from ima And vice versa.

Not the quoted amother, but no, I think she was saying that now any random yenta who knows that crust's real name is Chani Doe and figures out that this amother is crust, now knows that Chani's daughter has genetic issues. Which you maybe didn't want public to any random yenta.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:26 am
I've read anonymous posts that I could have sworn were mine and they weren't. I've had people ask me if I posted xyz. Sometimes they were right and sometimes not. There are thousands of members on here. Many are bound to have similar situations in terms of marital status, relationships with their husband, amounts and genders of children, etc. I don't think you can definitely know when someone posts anonymously.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:32 am
Chayalle wrote:
Let's say someone posts an anonymous post, and she wishes to remain anonymous, both in terms of her SN and IRL. So she copies someone else's writing style, or perhaps some details of her life. Like, she could indicate that she lives in Lakewood, her DH learns in Kollel, and she posts about her daughters.

IRL perhaps she lives in Atlanta, her DH is an accountant, and she has only sons.

But posters pm Chayalle as they are certain she's that anonymous poster.

Exactly. Which is what I did the few times I posted anonymously. So I highly doubt anyone figured me out. But regardless, it still feels creepy when anonymous posters tell you they know you. It feels weird.

crust

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
Not the quoted amother, but no, I think she was saying that now any random yenta who knows that crust's real name is Chani Doe and figures out that this amother is crust, now knows that Chani's daughter has genetic issues. Which you maybe didn't want public to any random yenta.

Ok. So I guess I still need some yenta education. LOL

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 11:39 am
Many posters sound the same. There are a few posters here who write in a style very similar to mine and when I read their posts it's like I could have written it myself, especially if they're writing about a subject that applies to me too.

It's not that simple...

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:33 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Exactly. Which is what I did the few times I posted anonymously. So I highly doubt anyone figured me out. But regardless, it still feels creepy when anonymous posters tell you they know you. It feels weird.

Would you prefer not to be told/warned?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Would you prefer not to be told/warned?

Of course. The warning means nothing. Either they did figure you out, or they didn't. Know one will ever know the truth. And it just feels creepy to think that someone is stalking you.

crust

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 1:05 pm
Do stalking and yentaning have the same definition?

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 1:19 pm
crust wrote:
Do stalking and yentaning have the same definition?

Stalking has a more sinister connotation. I would expect the stalker to make more concerted, planned efforts to gather information and put two and two together, while a yenta might just have a good memory for details and figure things out on the fly without deliberately dredging the swamp for evidence.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 2:09 pm
Also keep in mind, people think they are clever detectives. And often wrong.

I've posted scenarios before, pretending to be my ex husbands new wife. I wanted to try to gain perspective as to why she is so mean to me. I fudged and changed a number lf details so she was essentially a fictional character. On that thread, a number of people think they figured out who "I" was. Another time, I posted about my husbands ex who is making hell for me. I also fudged and changed details. It was impossible to know who I was talking about. I literally got pms from people that they know who I am talking about. People posted on the thread that they know her. Then it was the heard mentality and more people said oh yeah I know her too. Shes super nice. Hello - you have no idea who I'm talking about! Maybe I wrote shes been divorced 3 times but it was only twice? Maybe I wrote she lives in ny and she really lives in la? People think they have it allllll figured out. Notsomuch.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
Also keep in mind, people think they are clever detectives. And often wrong.

I've posted scenarios before, pretending to be my ex husbands new wife. I wanted to try to gain perspective as to why she is so mean to me. I fudged and changed a number lf details so she was essentially a fictional character. On that thread, a number of people think they figured out who "I" was. Another time, I posted about my husbands ex who is making hell for me. I also fudged and changed details. It was impossible to know who I was talking about. I literally got pms from people that they know who I am talking about. People posted on the thread that they know her. Then it was the heard mentality and more people said oh yeah I know her too. Shes super nice. Hello - you have no idea who I'm talking about! Maybe I wrote shes been divorced 3 times but it was only twice? Maybe I wrote she lives in ny and she really lives in la? People think they have it allllll figured out. Notsomuch.

Exactly. That's what I've been trying to say. If you think you figured someone out, keep it to yourself. You're most likely wrong. And you're just creeping the person out. And if you're right? You'll never know for sure, anyway. So don't assume anything.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 3:20 pm
I'm curious if people who think they can work out who someone is do it just from reading posts on the board or from having private conversations with then that they get to know the other person better? Because a lot the time I don't even pay attention to who is saying something, just to the words that have been said. There is too much irl on my mind to start profiling people.

crust

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
I'm curious if people who think they can work out who someone is do it just from reading posts on the board or from having private conversations with then that they get to know the other person better? Because a lot the time I don't even pay attention to who is saying something, just to the words that have been said. There is too much irl on my mind to start profiling people.

If I want to figure people out here Id probably need to hire a Secretary.

Bluesky 1

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 3:54 pm
Unfortunately there are people that try to find out who someone is in real life and for sinister reasons. Remember it's the World Wide Web

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 6:31 pm
Bluesky 1 wrote:
Unfortunately there are people that try to find out who someone is in real life and for sinister reasons. Remember it's the World Wide Web

I like to hear concrete things. What are those sinister reasons? Twisted Evil

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 7:54 pm
There were a few times where an anonymous poster forgot to go anonymous for a reply and I saw their names. most of the times they were posters with very few posts and weren't known posters. I kind of assume a lot of anonymous posters fall into that category.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 8:03 pm
There were three times when I recognized someone based on the details of their story. Once was posted anonymously, and twice was posted under their screen name. And even though they changed some details so people wouldn't figure it out, I still knew it was them based on the specific wording they used (two of them had used the same phrase they wrote, when speaking to me about the situation). I never told them I recognized their post. I felt it would be too weird. Let them have their privacy. And I didn't go back and look up their screen name to read their old posts. I would hope someone would have the same respect for me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 29 2017, 10:49 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
There were a few times where an anonymous poster forgot to go anonymous for a reply and I saw their names. most of the times they were posters with very few posts and weren't known posters. I kind of assume a lot of anonymous posters fall into that category.

When that happens, I quickly pm them. Usually, they are appreciative and change it to anonymous right away. (The new posters, I don't bother, because they don't know how).

saw50st8

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
When that happens, I quickly pm them. Usually, they are appreciative and change it to anonymous right away. (The new posters, I don't bother, because they don't know how).

I do too!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 8:06 am
amother wrote:

Me too, then out respect, I try to forget who it was.
I hope others use the same curtesy.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics